Name
CJ
Boat
Kaika
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Aloha Bd'ers!

After a few months of being dry docked due to a slew of mechanical issues, our YF was finally ready for an inaugural run. We headed out of K-bay after hearing the bite was on. Although our hope was for a little kau kau on our shakedown, we were in for some good fishing.

We decided on a run towards LL then towards NS. Just outside of the head buoy the outrigger pops and we pull in a nice Mahi. Without any followers, we press on towards LL. Just shy of the buoy the outrigger snaps again with a decent sized shibi. Working the area produced a couple more shibi and mahi in what seemed to be blind strikes (no birds, bait, rubbish). We made a few runs by the buoy and found a few more mahi along with a buoy rat that seemed more focused on cutting off our passes rather than enjoying the fish on the outside.
Pressing on, we head out hunting for bird piles and rubbish. Without any other signs, we follow a nice current line for an hour. While nodding off to the sound of the engine the outriggers both pop, along with the corners.... Hana Pa'a! Pulled in some nice sized Shibi and headed back to the pier.

As we pulled in and went to grab the truck & trailer, I notice the fuel lid open and gas cap hanging.... Looks like someone was desperate for some fuel. 30 years fishing out of Heeia Kea, I'd never had that kind of problem as we look out for each other. Would've kokua'd some $$ for fuel if they just would've asked. As it turned out, the truck has an anti-siphoning system and they spent more time trying for nothing.

Compliments on the boat from a few of the braddah's on the way out, we reflected on what a blessed day we had back on the water again.

One random act of kindness at a time.

CJ.

Upvote 0

calvinkeithpres

ISLAND WARRIOR
Apr 29, 2011
Sunset Bch, Hi USA
Name
Calvin Pressly
Boat
Island Warrior
Good going on the fish! Sorry to hear about the fuel thieves, I recently had someone put holes in my trucks underneath gas tank, destroyed my tank for several gallons of gas! Thieves are horrible!

Upvote 0

dogtorlam

Almost A Member
Dec 20, 2014
Honolulu, HI
Name
Nate
Boat
Boston Whaler 205 Conquest - "Hana Paw'a"
Aside from the attempted theft it sounds like the perfect way for your boat to get back in the water. Tight lines and much aloha. -N

Reactions: Kai330
Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
CJ and Crew,
It sounds like the Kaika exceeded your expectations for the day AND technology left the bastage thieves empty handed, hopefully they got a nasty mouthful of fuel for their efforts. Good goin on all the fish, sounds/looks like a GREAT day!!!!

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai330
Upvote 0