I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Adrien
Boat
Any
Hey guys

I’m going on back to back trips starting at the end on November. A 10 day on the Angler Oct 21-31 then right back out on a 9 day on the Rooster Nov 3-12. I’ve always wanted to do something like this so I’m very excited! I was wondering if anyone, that has done something similar, has any tips or advice. With so little time in between the trips I’d like to be as prepared as possible and not have to scramble during the few days I’m back on land. I’ll make sure to post reports for both trips! Thanks!

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Hey guys

I’m going on back to back trips starting at the end on November. A 10 day on the Angler Oct 21-31 then right back out on a 9 day on the Rooster Nov 3-12. I’ve always wanted to do something like this so I’m very excited! I was wondering if anyone, that has done something similar, has any tips or advice. With so little time in between the trips I’d like to be as prepared as possible and not have to scramble during the few days I’m back on land. I’ll make sure to post reports for both trips! Thanks!
Done back to back 10 day to a 11 day trips several times! Left a duffel bag in my truck, for the second trip. Leave you're tackle on board, go up to fishermans landing to re-supply whatever tackle you need, sent my fish to fishermans processing and had it blast frozen from the first trip. Easy Peezy lemon squeezy! Go over to Mitches, get something to eat and have a beer, just get to the point where you're not rocking and rolling from being on the water, and do it again! Hoping to do that again soon!

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Boat
no
Make sure you figure out what your going to do with all that fish! Maybe your processor would deep freeze and hold from the first trip?

Your most commonly used reels might need some maintenance.

Ask the Rooster if they will let you store some gear in their office for a couple days.

Parking? Leaving your ride for two trips? Bring jumper cables or a booster.

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Hey guys

In 2019 I met someone who made a long drive from home to SD. Since he loved long range and had such a long trip, he would do 2 16 day trips back to back and did that for some years.

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
I was in the wheelhouse of the Vagabond and Mike asked a guy if he wanted to go on the next trip. He called his wife on the Sat phone I think or some phone and got the ok. Mike said his clothes would be washed and returned. I dream of stuff like this, someday...

Enjoy buddy you must live right

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
I've known retired guys doing back to back 16 day trips. 1st trip came in and then next day turn around. Just do laundry. :D. I hear some boats have a washer and dryer on the boat.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I like it! Check out the charity through Five Star Fish Processing.
You’re bound to catch a ton of fish. Feels good to donate.

It’s Fish Food Feel Good f3g.org

Of course take care of yourself first, then maybe share with your fellow anglers. Josh will be cooking for you on the Angler, check with him, see if he would like some fish for the galley.

Sure wish I was with you. Fished Ken’s trip last year. Good times.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Make sure you figure out what your going to do with all that fish! Maybe your processor would deep freeze and hold from the first trip?

Your most commonly used reels might need some maintenance.

Ask the Rooster if they will let you store some gear in their office for a couple days.

Parking? Leaving your ride for two trips? Bring jumper cables or a booster.
I keep mine at fishermans processing, it's blast frozen and you can pick it up after your second trip.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Back to back long range trips is epic! I worked on the boats so yes I have one back to back trips but I want to do this before I die as a passenger.
I always thought it would be awesome to try to do every trip for one year on a long range boat! That would be one helluva adventure. Keep logs and records and maybe write a book! I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that now! It would take a absolute iron man type mentality to be able to do that!

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I’ve fished with guys doing back tjj on back trips. There were 2 on my RP 3 day in July that we’re staying for the next run.

I’d live to do it once, enjoy and good luck

Reactions: TUNAKILLA202

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
I have done at least 6 16 day trips back to back with one day off between trips.

Main thing is to get some sleep in a bed that doesnt move.

Ask the crew where they get their laundry done and put yours in with theirs. Much better than wasting hours doing laundry.

Go shopping for supplies that you used on the prior trip.

Have a really nice meal in a restaurant that serves something you really wanted to have on the boat but didnt.

Next year it will be back to back 16's again for me.

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I have done at least 6 16 day trips back to back with one day off between trips.

Main thing is to get some sleep in a bed that doesnt move.

Go shopping for supplies that you used on the prior trip.

Have a really nice meal in a restaurant that serves something you really wanted to have on the boat but didnt.

Next year it will be back to back 16's again for me.
I’d love to do a 16 day, back to back would be awesome

Reactions: JohnTFT

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Meant a fellow who was from Idaho on the Excel. He was doing three back to back 16 day trips. He had five days between his second and third trip so he had a Cedros fly in trip to fill in the down days.

MUST BE NICE

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I believe that Bill Randal spent over 100 days back to back on the American Angler one season. He ended up marrying the bull cook.

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
I tried to do back to back 10s last year and the second trip got canceled, The first was pretty epic, and wound up riding a 14 day about 3 weeks later. (Turned out great I really enjoyed the 14 day so much in fact I am doing the same thing this year.) I will do it though sometime in the future back to back 10s or 14s.

I fly in from Minnesota so I was planning on having Mike Morris just bring me a new set of clothes for the second trip.

Reactions: vegasandre

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I fished a 10 day a few years ago that was a real bust: Hardly any fish and nothing of any size. As we were coming into port at the end of the trip, the guy next to me said that he was going back out on another 10 day. I really hope his second trip was better than the first...

Reactions: adiballz24

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
I don't think Bill Randles was back to back but still a great feat and he did marry a very nice lady that fishes the Angler a lot, Marieanne

Reactions: FishRock

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Meant a fellow who was from Idaho on the Excel. He was doing three back to back 16 day trips. He had five days between his second and third trip so he had a Cedros fly in trip to fill in the down days.

MUST BE NICE
That was Kurt Wisenhutter.

Held the largest YFT record for many years.