flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
It has been a long time since I fished for seabass. Sort of strange because that used to be all I wanted to fish for, and when I wasn't fishing for seabass, I was thinking about fishing for seabass.

Then the last few years happened and my focus switched to fishing offshore.

Well, I finally got that seabass itch again, so Saturday morning Stephen and I made our first trip targeting seabass together. Thankfully Mike at San Pedro Bait hooked us up with a very generous scoop of squid, and we were on our way - both happy to find that the dense fog that had been plaguing the coast for several days had finally dissipated.

We hit our first spot around 8 a.m., and while we marked fish, the conditions just weren't right, so we kept moving. Based on my trusty tide chart it looked like things should get interesting in the afternoon, so we kept moving around and checking the conditions at various spots.

We found one area that was loaded with big grumpy calicos, so we played with them while we waited for the afternoon swing tide. Finally at about 11:00 a.m. we decided we better leave the calicos and get serious again, so it was back to spot #1 where we had marked fish earlier.

As we hoped, the conditions had drastically improved, and it didn't take long for me to get on the board with my first seabass of 2017. And a nice one at that, caught on my new Shimano Teramar 80H paired with a Trinidad 16NA.

Stephen was up next and put a beautiful fish on the deck and we each had our one fish limit.

We also managed two nice keeper halibut to round out the fish count. Stephen with one of our halibut.

And then it was back to the slip before 1:00 p.m.

It felt good to be back in the saddle again. The seabass itch has been officially scratched. And now I am ready for the offshore stuff to turn back on again.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice. It's been a good bite when conditions are right for the spots holding. Saw a pig in a text from my buddy at SBI. But conditions REALLYhave to be right for this location. Excited!! Love adding to my stone collection!!! Lol

Fishingguy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
Wow!!! Great job!!! Sitting hear envious. Should get my bait tank back next week and back to the grind! Thanks for sharing

Reactions: eddiesurf

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Wow! and he delivers again!

Really nice fish! I'm not seeing anything else like that, you got some skill!

Thanks for posting!

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Excellent work Jonathan!

I've been thinking wsb and watching the squid reports, you were on the ball.

b-reel

Nov 20, 2011
Downey
Name
HP
Boat
none yet
Wow, that first one is tanker status. Is this the first seabass report from Southern cal for 2017? Good on you brotha.

Reactions: sb_vta

fish&snow

lurker
May 27, 2014
Name
James
Boat
Reel Freedom
all i can say is WWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Great job!

Last edited:

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
.....and there's that signature hat and sunglasses again. Nice fishys.

P

Paddyman1

Way to bust open the Sea Bass season, Jonathan! You guys found a couple trophys. Congrats!

Reactions: Dnaspazz

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
It must get old winning all the time.. Nice limits!!!

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I still hate you. LOL.

Great job man!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk