Back in the Saddle 1-25-11

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by dausualinc, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    I've been out of the fishing scene for a few months due to overload at Work, and some mechanical rebuilds on the boat. Last week did a shake down run and got a mahi and an ono out of Hawaii Kai. Yesterday we deciced to do a little longer run and really get back into the fishing groove. The plan was to head for T Buoy but got stopped about 7 miles short when we found it drifting. I was hoping to find 100lb shibis under it but no dice. We were able to get half a dozen small mahis. Fun action on light tackle. We reported the broken Buoy to the powers that be and were back to the harber before 3. Hope they can get T back out there soon for us HK trollers. Mahalo to that Black and Yellow, yellowfin that towed it back in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Not a bad day at all for being out of it for a while. did you end up raising your helm since you added the cap? I'm trying to get a plan of projects on my boat which would include replacing the windshield and raising the helm as well. Good going on your fish.

3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Kekoa and crew,
    Why bother with the longer run just keep doing the short shake down cruises and keep baggin' mahis and onos? Just kiddin' good goin' on both trips; show us a pic or 2 of the finished product.

Cheers
    Pat

4. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    2 for 2 is a great return to fishing. Keep it up.

Jonny

5. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    That's a very nice catch, Kekoa, and congrats for completing all the mechanical work on your boat. The shakedown voyage appears to have been problem free.

Kudos to the captain who towed T-buoy to the dock.

I hope to be out there this weekend, weather permitting. Juju, at Lanakila Marine, hooked me up with the latest Volvo design for the stern drive steering arm and shaft assembly (it uses a square shaft, rather than a round shaft with dozens of tiny splines). I installed it this past weekend. It should be a lot stronger and more dependable. Knock on wood. ;)

Aloha

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    Kekoa,

Great going on the mahis!

Did you really let your dog eat the meat without problems? All I know is when I let my dog eat some stuff, she ends up with some liquidy poo.

bob

7. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    was that Jeff's Saltwater that toed it back?

8. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Sounds like it from the description...

Nice going on the fish and the shakedown!

Tight lines,

9. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    AJ and Pat- Here are a few pictures of the work I've been doing. I glassed in some boxes to raise my helm and built a housing for my Hydraulic helm station so its higher up now, Raised Throttle too. Now I can sit down and see where the hell I'm going. Still have alot of gelcoat and cosmetic work to do, and I'm waiting for funding to be allocated for some decent chairs or atleast one good one. The Hydro steering is a dream come true and worth every penny.

AJ - I included a pic of my engine becuase if I remember correctly you have the same one. she is over 25 years old but still purrs. If you want to check it out in person let me know, you can learn from my mistakes:rofl:

Pupule- Glad to hear you got the arm fixed. I'm gonna take a closer look at mine now.

Bob- No intestinal problems from the pup:shithappens:, benefit of a poi dog I think

Attached Files:

10. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Yup thats the guy

11. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Nice work as always Kekoa. AQAD40B circa 1985, yup same engine except mine still has the raw water strainer and power streering pump but I'm gonna upgrade to hydraulic soon. Thanks for posting the pictures good reference for me. Gotto bookmark this thread.

--Alan

12. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Woah, dems some massive mods. You're riding high and dry with the new command bridge. Nice work!

13. Tower Todd

Tower Todd Number #2

Name:
    Todd S.
    Boat:
    274' Long Range
    Nicely Done!

TT

14. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Congrats on your return to fishing/catching... Your boat is looking more and more pimp every time you post pics.

15. munsen13

munsen13 Newbie

Name:
    IA
    Boat:
    17' Montauk
    Nice work! I think I met you down Hale O Lono with Jeff, Sai?

16. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Thanks for all the support guys, my resolution is to spend more time fishing this year and less time doing projects.

Whats up man, yeah we had choke fun on that trip, one of my crew ate it getting back to the boat:rofl:. Hope to come visit your beautiful island again soon.

17. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    The big project that kept me on the sidelines these past few months was rebuilding my cooling system- oil cooler, aftercooler, and heatexchanger. In and of itself not too big of a project but as with any older engine you can be opening a can of worms, which I promtly did. Previous owner did not change zincs on schedule so they were non-existent and the plugs were stuck in place, this lead to corrosion in some of the cast iron parts, mostly the cover plate on the bottom of my aftercooler.

Any one who has bought volvo parts or any diesel for that matter, knows that parts are astronomically expensive! They really have you over a barrel because there are no aftermarket suppliers like in the automotive hotrodding industry, which, incidentally is where I used to spend all of my money before I found boats. Being the stubborn guy (and broke) that I am I decided I can make that part from scratch, so thats what I decided to do:2gunsfiring_v1:.

The part is constructed of 6061 1/4" aluminum and was welded on my Miller Diversion TIG. The finished piece fit really well, and I believe is a superior piece to the original. I was able to fix what I thought were some design flaws, mainly volvo's use of wimpy clamps that hold the seawater piping onto the cover plate.

In the end I was very satisfied with the finished product and as a side benefit I could take apart the entire cooling system in my sleep if I had to.
    By the way, volvo sells the replacement part for 500 or 600 hundred bucks. All of the cooler cores needed to be cleaned badly as well. Now the engine temp is completely stable whereas before it would slowly climb if I was running it hard. Any way, hope some one can find some enjoyment or inspiration from this string of projects that piled on me during Nov and Dec.

Attached Files:

18. DC808

DC808 Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    -----
    Solid work. Your crew appreciates all the hard work you put into that boat. Now lets go load up the fish box and empty the cooler.

19. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Kekoa, Nice going on your shake down cruise, plus blood in the box! You did a great job on your alterations too, thanks for sharing. Good job on fabbing the cover, I'll bet that will last the life of the motor...
    Tight lines...