jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
The general rule is don't use a sport fish to catch a sport fish. Same with catching a small trout and trying to bait a striper--makes sense, from a logic standpoint but against the rules
Ethical no.But any fish that is legal size to keep is legal to use for bait in cali
Are you sure? Not arguing, I don't pretend to know. But I was always taught you can't use a sport caught fish to catch a sport fish. Same--again, as I was told, to catch a trout, and tie it on to catch a Striper--I know for a fact you can't do that. Then again, I must also say the DFW is very big on all of us following every rule to the letter--if you can even figure it all out---and then they turn around and cut our trout quota this year by 50 percent AND decrease the size of the trout too--yet the license fees (of course) stays the same. I guess their over riding rule is "respect us and the law--while we don't respect you or the law". What a great motto for the California Department of Fish and (proudly) "wildlife" (note the drop of "game" in the title)

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
The general rule is don't use a sport fish to catch a sport fish. Same with catching a small trout and trying to bait a striper--makes sense, from a logic standpoint but against the rules

Are you sure? Not arguing, I don't pretend to know. But I was always taught you can't use a sport caught fish to catch a sport fish. Same--again, as I was told, to catch a trout, and tie it on to catch a Striper--I know for a fact you can't do that. Then again, I must also say the DFW is very big on all of us following every rule to the letter--if you can even figure it all out---and then they turn around and cut our trout quota this year by 50 percent AND decrease the size of the trout too--yet the license fees (of course) stays the same. I guess their over riding rule is "respect us and the law--while we don't respect you or the law". What a great motto for the California Department of Fish and (proudly) "wildlife" (note the drop of "game" in the title)

Yes the freshwater rules on livebait are different.If its legal to keep in the salt its legal to use as bait.You have to keep it in a state that's measurable if there is a size limit on said bait and you have to stay within your daily limit.Theres nothing in the regs saying you can't and that means green light.
DFW can't write you up unless there is a code to write up on your summons.
It would be no different then bridling up a tuna to troll up a marlin.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
My understanding, is that generally, you can't use a sport caught fish--to catch a sport fish. Like using a trout to catch a Striper. On the other hand, I must say the new DFW--love the new "wildlife", not "game" holds our buts to the fire on the rules--while they decrease both the size of trout this year and the number of trout, in violation of laws, while maintaining our license feels. Their motto should be "respect us and the law--while we respect neither you--or the law" but I doubt that phase will catch on with the "proper authorities"

Reactions: Chasin_Bendo
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
Yes the freshwater rules on livebait are different.If its legal to keep in the salt its legal to use as bait.You have to keep it in a state that's measurable if there is a size limit on said bait and you have to stay within your daily limit.Theres nothing in the regs saying you can't and that means green light.
That is good to know, thanks. I do now, sort of remember hearing about the difference (fresh vs salt water0

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
If people are going to make statements that you can't do something, they should back up their statements with a regulation or law, not with I've been told. That isn't a regulation or law.

Upvote 0

teddya2

Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
Well 5 yt can be under the minimum fork length, using as bait, why not. Just don't sabiki more that 5. That's in us waters, 5 any size is the mex limit

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes

Are you sure? Not arguing, I don't pretend to know.

I was the first to say it isn't legal and at this point it looks like I was wrong. I knew that freshwater rules are different (no fin bait at all, I think), mostly because of invasive species concerns in freshwater. In saltwater, the way I understood the rule is if there is a limit you can't use it for bait because it would permit overlimits without any way of proving.

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
If people are going to make statements that you can't do something, they should back up their statements with a regulation or law, not with I've been told. That isn't a regulation or law.

Yep, the internet would be a much better place. You should work on getting that law passed, or maybe just persuade BD to make a rule that all unsubstantiated posts will be deleted.

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
Not true, "I've been told" IS to get the conversation started--and it is not a false statement, it is admitting "I don't know" but want others to chime in and clarify--this is a discussion forum isn't it? Or is this a court of law, e.g. "just the facts" and "no conversation allowed, says ME? Is that rule YOU are laying down?

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You are allowed ten yellowtail per day, but only five of them may be less than twenty-four inches. And if you immediately turn around and use one of the little yellowtail for bait, just like putting a skippy or bonito in a tuna tube and going looking for a marlin, you are not in violation of the law. (Ethics and good sense is a whole other matter.) But you can't keep catching more and using them for bait as you use them up, the total allowed is five small ones per day, even if you feed yourself lunch or feed them to another, bigger fish.

Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
    Dec 6, 2005
    Vista
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
    For those that want the regulatory information:

In the Ocean Fishing regulations there is only one reference to bait restrictions:

27.10. LIVE BAIT RESTRICTIONS. Tilapia may not be used or possessed for use as bait in ocean waters.

However if you wish to use anything as bait and it has a size or possession limit, it must be in a conditions that the size, species, and count can be identified. Also if you want to use parts of finfish you must follow the fillet requirements if the species has any.

I expressed this as a concern when the new tuna fillet regulations were passed as I often slab skipjack to use later as lobster bait while on the water. Enforcement informed me that I would have to follow the fillet rules and could not slab fresh skipjack on the vessel as they were caught. However enforcement did state it would be a judgment call if using skipjack as lobster bait as to wether they were frozen slabs or not....

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Come on man!
    That would probably be equivalent to using bluegill to catch humungous fat lunker spawning bass.Not cool man,not cool at all.This is something I could never ever ever EVER do.....

andtalkaboutit.:slap:

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
    Sep 20, 2010
    C.M. CA
    Name
    Dondo
    Boat
    Cory's Rig

Exactly. Brideled football skippys, yft, yt,.............. marlin? Wahoo?

Reactions: yellowfish26
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Fishing for big blues right now, I personally don't see anything unethical with bridling up a small yellowtail, yft, or skippy.

All the baits mentioned above plus dorado are entirely what these big blues are feeding on right now!

The blue that was caught by the guy fishing solo on Thursday, was caught after the fisherman witnessed all the little tuna starting to ball up under his boat...... only then after looking below did he see a large Blue, and he quickly rigged up a little tuna and hooked up.

What's that old freshwater saying.......oh yeah, match the hatch ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Willdoggy and NGSD1
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    I knew that freshwater rules are different (no fin bait at all, I think),

Live treadfin shad are legal as long as you catch them out of the water you fish them in.In the Colorado river I believe live bluegill are a green light also,but I could be wrong as I have never exploited that fishery.

Upvote 0

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
    San Diego, Clairemont
    Name
    Mike M
    Boat
    Kencraft
    WTF question was simple mini yellowtail for bait does it work.. I dont give a shit about your ethics conversation start your own thread on ethics.

WTF question was simple mini yellowtail for bait does it work.. I dont give a shit about your ethics conversation start your own thread on ethics.

Reactions: drumford
    Upvote 0

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
    San Jose del Cabo
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Shopping for something else
    Huh?? So I'm now really confused on how I should feel about that monster blue that ate and got hooked on my 20# wahoo with a jet in his mouth right at gaff. (Yes, I had a witness with me[emoji12]) Guess since she stripped my 130 then broke me off that I should feel ok. But I'm sill now confused. Did the marlin break the law??? Or me??!
    .[emoji106] or [emoji107]
    LOL

Reactions: Chasin_Bendo
    Upvote 0

brian fulton

Can’t help it
    Aug 13, 2008
    lake forest.ca
    Name
    brianfulton
    Boat
    Happy Hour.
    Let me just say one thing tuna tubes are used for small skip jack and yellowfin to use for bait, baiting big marlin,that's not considered illegal. Is it.

Upvote 0