plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Keep updated. It happens. Not rarely either. In 08, and 03.
True most kills by gw's are not often reported, or found. But are filed as drownings. And not recovered . There are plenty of gw's in so cal, Catalina, and Sci.
And offshore. 3 one day, in Hb , territorial natured.
Many who survive the horrific mauling often bleed profusely, some beyond recovery. And die.

Here's something you might answer, when was the last time you herd 2 gw's caught from the shore/ pier, and had a 12 ft sighting in the Surfline.on the same day?
When was the last shark attack on a human in the so cal area ? I'm talking about a death,not flesh wounds.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Keep updated. It happens. Not rarely either. In 08, and 03.
True most kills by gw's are not often reported, or found. But are filed as drownings. And not recovered . There are plenty of gw's in so cal, Catalina, and Sci.
And offshore. 3 one day, in Hb , territorial natured.
Many who survive the horrific mauling often bleed profusely, some beyond recovery. And die.

Here's something you might answer, when was the last time you herd 2 gw's caught from the shore/ pier, and had a 12 ft sighting in the Surfline.on the same day?
For starters they were not on the same day. The one caught off the pier and the one on the beach might have been the same day. Monday or tuesday. The 12 footer was 2 days later.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
When was the last shark attack on a human in the so cal area ? I'm talking about a death,not flesh wounds.
Probably 2010 in solana beach. Part of the reason for lack of deaths is the way whites feed. Usually one massive hit and then they back off to let their prey bleed to death before eating. Their natural prey sea lions have a very nasty set of teeth and the sharks have learned to protect themselves this way. Its why they find so many bit up, but not eaten seals on beaches. Same works for people. They either get out of the water or are pulled out by their friends before the shark came back. Either way its so rare people have better things to worry about.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Bat rays are legal to take You were in the wrong. Maybe they were going to eat it?

Is this your girlfriend? :D

white people are crazy. :shake:

The one woman in the wetsuit should be arrested for battery.
    She's lucky the guys had a sense of humor, were honorable men when it comes to striking a woman and realized those broads are nuts.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    For starters they were not on the same day. The one caught off the pier and the one on the beach might have been the same day. Monday or tuesday. The 12 footer was 2 days later.
    Check the news, they were on the same day.
    Unless they were mistaken , but their credibility would be on the line , think it was ch 5, or 9. The last
    Death was in 10, prior 08 in sd by a triathlon swimmer. Prior to that was 03. Mind you this is years after the continued ban , that said it stands to reason it would show signs of rebounding since then., duh.

If they were catching bluefin off the pier, on a couple different occasions , and off the beach, and sightings
    From the Surfline, in one day, or a couple day apart you might think reasonably there's plenty at the moment.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
    Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    Either way its so rare people have better things to worry about.

Exactly!
    Regardless of population trends in GW sharks, the chance of getting attacked is pretty miniscule. The most dangerous part of going surfing or diving is driving to the beach.

Of the 212 deaths caused by animals in CA between 1999-2013:

Great white Sharks 5 (2 south of SB)
    Dogs 69
    Farm animals and other mammals 53
    Bees 87
    Snakes 10
    Spiders 10

and globally in 2015, 12 people were killed by taking selfies, 8 by sharks.

I'm gonna go fuck up some bees!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Check the news, they were on the same day.
    Unless they were mistaken , but their credibility would be on the line , think it was ch 5, or 9. The last
    Death was in 08, in sd, by a triathlon swimmer. Prior to that was 03. Mind you this years after the continued ban , that said it stands to reason it would show signs of rebounding since then., duh.

Trying to figure out the point you are trying to make?

Are shark attacks on the rise? Yeah I can agree with that, although it's only due to them making a much needed rebound.

Like was already stated, I think it is very rare to hear of a GW attack to where the body was consumed..... so I do think these attacks are done more out of an instinctual response (mistaken identity) rather than them actually wanting to eat a human. My opinion, they are not really looking nor want to eat a person. Look at it like fooling a Bluefin on a Popper, or a Marlin on a trolled jig, or getting a cat to chase a fluttering piece of material on the end of a stick. Their instinct is fooling them into thinking it's something they would like to attack and eat, and in most cases after the attack they want no more and bail.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    Whites are very careful and discretionary about what and how they feed..especially when compared to bull or tiger sharks (which thankfully we don't have here)which feed almost indiscriminately and are a much greater danger....
    It is why the mature adults ambush seals (preferably pups) and especially mature seals so they can mortally wound the animal then back away waiting for the animal to weaken before starting to feed therefore avoiding eye or gill injury..
    When humans are attacked by whites it almost always a case of mistaken id..

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    Trying to figure out the point you are trying to make?

Are shark attacks on the rise? Yeah I can agree with that, although it's only due to them making a much needed rebound.

Like was already stated, I think it is very rare to hear of a GW attack to where the body was consumed..... so I do think these attacks are done more out of an instinctual response (mistaken identity) rather than them actually wanting to eat a human. My opinion, they are not really looking nor want to eat a person. Look at it like fooling a Bluefin on a Popper, or a Marlin on a trolled jig, or getting a cat to chase a fluttering piece of material on the end of a stick. Their instinct is fooling them into thinking it's something they would like to attack and eat, and in most cases after the attack they want no more and bail.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Yes that's my point. The increase of gw's , along the beach here in Hb.,Is strong. The summer crowd is huge here. As for why they attack men women or children is were in their territory.

My point is with the increase comes casualties. And with many sightings, tells of rebound. Too many seals are not good, and too many gw's are not good, I guess it's a touchy balance.

I grew up in Hb, and never once ever saw or herd of a gw along our beaches, now there's many last year and this year reported. Like the surfer who was surfing with his GoPro , and filmed a gw in full launch and airborne just outside the Surfline in sunset beach. ...... Just sayin it seems there's plenty

Upvote 0

SDFishingRob

Well Known "Member"
    Aug 19, 2010
    San Diego/ Gonzaga Bay
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    2 Malibu Stealth Kayaks
    I know their legal, the point was, these guys had no idea of what they were going to do with it, simply a message of pointless torture. they were driven by the same logic of these dopes on the pier.

In regards to the ray in video 2 (not the shark)

I disagree, these guys knew exactly what they were going to do with that thing. Eat it.... People eat them all the time. Iv'e seen it plenty of times.

Pointless torture, maybe... It would be better to put it out of it's misery right away, which could also look bad and can be interpreted as a pointless kill.

Either way it's not a good look, especially for the tree huggers, but I guarantee you these guys were eating that thing and were not gonna waste that meat. My guess is they were going to turn that thing into Machaca.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Or they were there the whole time and people never noticed before.

Just seems more likely they were there, and have just become more noticeable with higher population and technology.

BTW, a 4' shark is likely scared shitless by just about anything bigger than it. At that size it's a menu item not a apex predator. Anyone who is calling for the culling of sharks in Southern California needs to relax, better chance you die in a thugged out Huntington Beach street riot than get your toes nibbled off by a baby shark.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Yes that's my point. The increase of gw's , along the beach here in Hb.,Is strong. The summer crowd is huge here. As for why they attack men women or children is were in their territory.

My point is with the increase comes casualties. And with many sightings, tells of rebound. Too many seals are not good, and too many gw's are not good, I guess it's a touchy balance.

I grew up in Hb, and never once ever saw or herd of a gw along our beaches, now there's many last year and this year reported. Like the surfer who was surfing with his GoPro , and filmed a gw in full launch and airborne just outside the Surfline in sunset beach. ...... Just sayin it seems there's plenty

They've always been there. We would see them all the time at San Clemente and Catalina when I was a kid so it would stand to reason the pups have always been around HB. GW's pupping in the canyons along the coast has been going on for a lot longer then we've been around.

The only thing that has changed is now everyone's has a camera when one of them shows themselves or gets caught. Then it's all over the internet in seconds. In the old days we'd see one and look around to see if anyone else had seen it and then it was a fish tale

I don't think the numbers have bounced back as much as folks think

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft

Here is the problem with that logic. You are assuming just because there is a group of them off hb that there must be lots of them all over. Not so much. Its the same logic in reverse that the anti fishing groups use. See salmon grouper. The excuse for the limitation was: well we did not see any when went out so they must be rare. Meanwhile the party boat captains are telling them you just did not go to the right place. How many white shark sightings in sd this week? They must be extinct. For whatever reason san onofre, huntington, bolsa chica, and manhattan beach are hot spots for them. Careful about judging a population by one area.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    They've always been there. We would see them all the time at San Clemente and Catalina when I was a kid so it would stand to reason the pups have always been around HB. GW's pupping in the canyons along the coast has been going on for a lot longer then we've been around.

The only thing that has changed is now everyone's has a camera when one of them shows themselves or gets caught. Then it's all over the internet in seconds. In the old days we'd see one and look around to see if anyone else had seen it and then it was a fish tale

I don't think the numbers have bounced back as much as folks think

Its a little of both. Banning inshore gillnets in 93 helped quite a bit, but people are now looking for them and have the technology to record and publicize them. You must be pretty lucky. In probably over 500 trips to catalina I have never seen one in the wild.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    Anyone who is calling for the culling of sharks in Southern California needs to relax
    As opposed to relaxing how bout getting educated if you wanna discuss a subject intelligently..
    with drones and paddleboarders all up and down our coast there are increasingly more eyes in position to see the life that exists in our nearshore waters..hence many more reported sightings..
    If the water was clear and people could actually see how much life was around them when entering the water most people would not go near the beach ..

Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Unless they mistake your foot for a stingray - there is not fucking chance in hell your going to be bit or bothered by one of these babies.

You dipshits know that's what there here eating right?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Its a little of both. Banning inshore gillnets in 93 helped quite a bit, but people are now looking for them and have the technology to record and publicize them. You must be pretty lucky. In probably over 500 trips to catalina I have never seen one in the wild.

I've been lucky and cursed with the Taxman (see below). I've seen them ghost in and out and swim around and not give a f**k who was watching them at the Lupe Beautiful fish I'd love to swim with or go on a cage dive someday with.

Shark week 1 001.jpg

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    Unless they mistake your foot for a stingray - there is not fucking chance in hell your going to be bit or bothered by one of these babies.

You dipshits know that's what there here eating right?

They're probably going for some sea turtle action too. I've seen some in HB harbor and out along San Clemente. One day I saw a turtle with 2 GWs near it. Speaking to that sea turtle sightings are becoming more rare, they're probably overpopulated and should be hunted down too.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Exactly!
    Regardless of population trends in GW sharks, the chance of getting attacked is pretty miniscule. The most dangerous part of going surfing or diving is driving to the beach.

Of the 212 deaths caused by animals in CA between 1999-2013:

Great white Sharks 5 (2 south of SB)
    Dogs 69
    Farm animals and other mammals 53
    Bees 87
    Snakes 10
    Spiders 10

and globally in 2015, 12 people were killed by taking selfies, 8 by sharks.

I'm gonna go fuck up some bees!

How many deaths by illegal aliens?

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I just saw on cbs news that the authorities are looking into these guys that caught that young great white shark on Huntington Pier. The story noted that these guys had heavy gear and looked like they were targeting shark. Kinda neat to read this thread, then 10 minutes later catch the story on the five o'clock news. Doubt anything will come of it but just thought I'd make a note of it. Tight lines!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Anything goes on a PIER...IOD!

Upvote 0

Paddyman

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Tiara 33 flybridge "Go Time"
    Looks like some real quality people right there. Sad. Go back to the hole you came from and let the people who respect the ocean fish in it.

Reactions: Jr.
    Upvote 0