B175 Transducers, more than 1?

HarborSeal

Mar 24, 2015
Santa Barbara County
Name
Justin
Boat
Anderson Greenough 21’
My Anderson’s electronics need an upgrade, everything is from 95’ when the boat was made.

I am pretty set on the B175 thru Hull transducers to replace the old transom mounted transducer. The original owner had the rear compartment set up for a live fish hold so there is a perfect downward facing 3” hole on both sides of the compartment to bring in water. Perfect installation hole for a B175 thru Hull transducer to plug up the compartment and keep it dry. At least that is what I think?

I am debating on getting the 175M and glassing in the opposite hole or getting 2 separate units a 175HW and a 175L. But the issue is I want to run 1 head unit. Can I set it up so I use the 175HW and then when it is time for fishing in the deep switch to the 175L? Is this something people do to cover all the bases, YT/Tuna to fishing for Mr. Elvis out in the deep?

I want the compartment dry and I need to upgrade my electronics. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone kind of deal.

Appreciate the input, this is somewhat new to me. I have fished my whole life but this is the first boat I have owned that is big enough to go offshore.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
You didn't mention what type of electronics you want to upgrade to. Simrad NSS9 and larger has two ports for transducers. You can electronically switch between the two transducers on your touch screen. You can also expand with external boxes if you add more transducers. There are also manual boxes that you can buy to switch between transducers. You may need to wire the boxes to plugs that is compatible to your fish finder. Simrad is moving toward 9 pin connectors as their standard moving forward. You may need an adapter cable or a connector that matches the new format.

I don't think you need the B175L if you are not fishing deep for marlin or need to track the bottom over very deep waters. The B175HW is more than enough for typical offshore fishing for tuna. The wider beam is the key to marking more fish around the boat. The high chirp has better noise rejection and you see less noise from air bubbles. I usually just set a fixed depth of 500 feet when I'm over deeper water to look for tuna that is within my fishing depth. If you do deep rock fishing over smaller structures, its better to have a standard B175H transducer with a narrow beam to target rock structures under the boat. Its mainly needed when you want to be right on top of a small rock structure. I mainly use high chirp because we can't fish deeper than 360 feet for rockfish anyways.

If you can install a fair block, the B275LHW is one of the best transducers for typical southern California fishing. Selecting the best transducer is the most important factor since its much easier to replace the fish finder as technology gets better. The Airmar transducers can be adapted to different systems by changing out the plug. The B175HW is also a great choice for single frequency.

I would save the money on the B175L and spend it on more important items like a good fish finder, radar, AIS, etc. You can always add another transducer later if you find there is a need for it. If you are rich and money doesn't matter, that is a whole different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarborSeal
Upvote 0

HarborSeal

Mar 24, 2015
Santa Barbara County
Name
Justin
Boat
Anderson Greenough 21’
You didn't mention what type of electronics you want to upgrade to. Simrad NSS9 and larger has two ports for transducers. You can electronically switch between the two transducers on your touch screen. You can also expand with external boxes if you add more transducers. There are also manual boxes that you can buy to switch between transducers. You may need to wire the boxes to plugs that is compatible to your fish finder. Simrad is moving toward 9 pin connectors as their standard moving forward. You may need an adapter cable or a connector that matches the new format.

I don't think you need the B175L if you are not fishing deep for marlin or need to track the bottom over very deep waters. The B175HW is more than enough for typical offshore fishing for tuna. The wider beam is the key to marking more fish around the boat. The high chirp has better noise rejection and you see less noise from air bubbles. I usually just set a fixed depth of 500 feet when I'm over deeper water to look for tuna that is within my fishing depth. If you do deep rock fishing over smaller structures, its better to have a standard B175H transducer with a narrow beam to target rock structures under the boat. Its mainly needed when you want to be right on top of a small rock structure. I mainly use high chirp because we can't fish deeper than 360 feet for rockfish anyways.

If you can install a fair block, the B275LHW is one of the best transducers for typical southern California fishing. Selecting the best transducer is the most important factor since its much easier to replace the fish finder as technology gets better. The Airmar transducers can be adapted to different systems by changing out the plug. The B175HW is also a great choice for single frequency.

I would save the money on the B175L and spend it on more important items like a good fish finder, radar, AIS, etc. You can always add another transducer later if you find there is a need for it. If you are rich and money doesn't matter, that is a whole different story.
Thank you for the response. I am fine with the old Furuno Radar system I have but the old Garmin FF/gps isn’t my favorite. I am not set on it’s replacement yet. I was going to work backwards and first pick the transducers I want for the fishing I plan on doing.

Initially I was going to go with the Simrad NSS9 EVO 3 but almost everything I have read is they are great when they work but there are a lot of threads where people say they have had nothing but problems with their simrad units(not specifically the NSS9) and they mention their customer service sucking. Furuno on the other hand, almost everything I read about their products is positive, including their customer service. I have been looking at the Furuno GP1971F.

The only reason I bring up the medium and lower frequency transducers is to fish for swordfish.

The B275LHW is awesome but I don’t think it will be an option for my 21’ boat. Buying the 175L would be about the same price as paying the Anderson guys to glass in the hole. Unfortunately I don’t have an “open” checkbook budget but I don’t want to be cheap either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    If you can fit the 275 thats the way to go.

As far as people having issues with Simrad units 9 out of 10 don't know or take the time to learn the menus and establish the correct network settings. Also all of these new MFD require good power and ground. Also big issues with most whom put in new units and haven't changed or checked wiring from 10 years ago.

If you have any questions pm me your #.

Reactions: HarborSeal
    Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Simrad sells a crap ton of units. Only people to comment on them are usually people with issues. I have original EVO2 and it has worked flawless.

That said, Garmin and now Furuno have good units too. They all would use the same transducers.

You can even buy transducer with mix/match cable. That way you can switch without splicing in future.

B175L and HW would be the best combo. I would like to add a low to mine as some fish show better with lower frequencies.

Upvote 0
    K

knot keely

Consider Furuno. You could do a DFF3D which is similar to the 175HW with the added benefit of being multi beam which allows you to pinpoint fish location in relation to the boat. You would still need a low freq. ducer if you have your heart set on Deep Dropping for swordies.

I think you have the right idea with the 175HW and L though if you go with Simrad.

Call Gil Travis.

Upvote 0

HarborSeal

Mar 24, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Anderson Greenough 21’
    Thanks for the information everyone, I think I have the info I need. Once the state stops burning I will stop by one of the marine electronics places in Vtown to make sure I am going the right route. Any recommendations besides Beacon?

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Harbor Seal,

On my 22ft Mako I had a Furuno GP 1971 F and a Airmar B175 H-W and it was awesome. On my new to me Grady, it came with a Garmin 7610 XVS and it to is a great unit.

I personally love eating rockfish and the Furuno unit for me was a game changer on my Mako. The bottom zoom option was incredibly clear. I have owned Furuno for nearly 15 years and never once had a single problem

Hit me up with any questions

Upvote 0