AZTEC - Overnight 6/15

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Brogan11, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Brogan11

Brogan11 Member

Name:
    Logan
    Boat:
    The San Diego
    First report (story), I'll try not to screw it up.

Buddy and I have been eyeing a BFT trip for a few weeks, finally decided to pull the trigger and get on the water. Both big fans of Seaforth and operation they run so we did some homework and decided on the Aztec (great decision). Strong counts all last week filled the boat by Tuesday so I'm glad we didn't wait around until the last minute to book.

Got down to the landing around 8pm Friday night for a 10pm departure time. Checked in, cracked a beer and waited for the boarding announcement that came around 9pm. Everyone promptly jumped on the boat and we were able to pull away from the dock around 9:30, waved at the boats sitting at the bait barge as we already had our full load of solid looking 4-6" sardines.

For the crew we had Captain Greg, Bryce, Harry, Nick, Justin, and chef (i believe it was Ryan). Before we even cleared the jetty Captain Greg started one of the more animated pep talks I have listened to on a sport boat, felt like it lasted until we hit the islands (probably was more like 30min). He went over every conceivable detail you needed to know to land one of these elusive creatures, definitely should have grabbed another beer before he got on a roll. None of the info was groundbreaking to the guys that have spent time fishing but if nothing else it reinforced how badly Captain Greg wanted everyone to be successful. He was throwing sardines around showing how to properly butt hook a bait. He snapped a hook demonstrating how important it is to rig up under pressure. It was definitely a sight to be seen and made me appreciate how passionate he is about his craft. Once he wrapped it up I finished rigging my gear with some help from Bryce and hit the bunk for the big day ahead.

Woke up around 530 (i think) to the boat killing the engines. Figured we were fishing but it was just a warning call to get everyone out of bed since we were in the zone. Shortly after that everyone anxiously grabbed their rods and awaited orders from above.

Greg was instantly on a school of bluefin and he started giving an NBA finals quality play-by-play as we approached the spot of fish (where they were, where they were headed, depth, size, etc). There was no hunting around for hours trying to find a school. We were on them fish right away, don't even think I had time to get coffee (probably should have got up earlier, oh well). Finally he tells the bait tank DH to throw bait like he life depends on it. Fish start doing what we want them to do so he starts the slide and tells people to get in with their heavier setups (50# and up).

I grab my PSW-760XH+Fathom 40NLD2, 80# braid with a 4' piece of 50# blue label, pin on a sardine, and I'm in the water. Couldn't have been more than a few minutes until we had the first hookup. I believe it was on a sinker rig as the fish were sticking to the boat but hadn't come all the way up yet. Few seconds later and my buddy hooks up on a sinker rig and 50#. I grab a 6oz sinker and try to get with the program. By this time we have a few more fish hanging and its starting to bust open. Fishing breaking all around the boat, people hooked up on jigs/fly-lined/sinker, all presentations are getting bit. Each time i pinned on a good swimmer I felt like i was going to get bit....

About 30min or so later, I haven't got bit yet and all the fish we hooked are still hanging. My buddy is still on his fish and ended up next to me on the rail at one point and I could see the bottom of his Tac12ii spool (yikes). Shortly after that the first one comes over the rail and its a solid 70# model. NICEEEEEEE.

The first two guys who got bit are both still fighting their fish so it starts to feel like those initial sinker rig fish could be bigger. I set the rod down and proceed to get a few action shots of my buddy wrestling with his. He was able to get almost all of the line back and is no longer in jeopardy of getting spooled but the fish is still working him over pretty good. (don't mind the San Diego shirt, need Aztec shirts after this trip!!!)
    IMG_2256 (1).jpg

IMG_2261 (1).jpg

He has his hands full for a good hour and half with this fish. The very first guy who hooked up finally lands his after Harry had to cut his line, hold onto it and re-splice it back to the guys reel after a gnarly tangle (or maybe it got caught under the boat, not sure of the full story), but the guy was super stoked to get the fish, i think it was on a older TLD. (FF to the end of the day and that fish ended up being the JP @ 80#, hope he tipped well)

Back to my buddy, guy is still fighting the same fish. At this point not one fish has come over the rail bigger than 80 so its hard to believe it's a bigger model but you never know. I start calling him names and telling him to stop screwing around with that thing and get it on the damn boat. Dick move by me, he breaks it off a few minutes later somewhere in his mono topshot??!!!?????!!!!! (F$$$$$$$$$CK). I feel awful.

I gotta talk about this other guy on the boat for a minute bc by now (8am) i think he has put at least 2 fish on the boat and lost 1 or two more. He was using a 4-5' OCEA? jigging rod with a stella and he was absolutely putting the wood to these fish on a few different types of jigs. Impressive to watch, hats off to him.

Just when I start to lose all faith in myself and this stupid sport I get picked up on a nice lightning quick smaller (!!!!) sardine and its game on. Never fought a fish over 40# so I'm picking up as many tips as possible from Bryce and Nick on my way up and down the rail. Fish made a few early runs but nothing too crazy, I don't think i had more than 100yds out at any point in the fight. A seemingly stress-free battle takes a turn for the worst when a piece of kelp drifts into the side of the boat everyone is fishing and wraps up 4 different lines, one of them being my fish and another from a guy who had been fighting his for a long time on a regular MXJ. At this point I have come to grips with the fact i'm probably going to lose this fish somewhere in this kelp tangle clusterf$ck. Bryce does what he can to get the two fish free but unfortunately the other guy loses his. Kelp is gone, lines are free and I'm still on this fish, phewwwwwww. Up and down the rail a few more times and the gaff comes out, one more circle and bam, victory. Call it a 30min fight, PB bluefin (65#). IMG_2265 (1).jpg

I take a few pics and call it time for breakfast. I think we have around ten 60-80# fish on the boat by about 10am. Capt says lets go find another one as the bite has slowed a bit.

We then troll north towards another zone through a maze of paddies constantly on the lookout for good sign. Capt says there is some good water about 20mi north of our first stop. Half hour or so into the move the trolling rod with my number on it goes off but before I could react i see my buddy make a mad dash for the rod. Not sure if he knew it was mine or if he was determined to not come home empty handed after breaking off his first fish. Go ahead buddy, you take this one (6# YT).

IMG_2266 (1).jpg

IMG_2273 (1).jpg

Boat finds a good sized paddy full of 6-15lb YT that we drift one multiple times. With a good BFT on the boat I decide to be picky and fish iron with YT blowing up off the bow. Everyone in the stern with bait is getting bit but I stuck it out and just couldn't get one to bite a jig. I think we pulled 30YT off that paddy in an hour or so spread across 3 drifts. While on the paddy Greg finds some birds off a few miles in the direction we were heading so we get back on the hunt.

Same program as the first stop of the morning except this time the first fish over the rail is a smaller YFT. Few guys are hooking them on colt snipers and fish are blowing up everywhere once again. Greg is a wizard!!!! My buddy goes back to his trusty sinker rig and gets bit again. I told him after I landed my fish that i would sacrifice catching another fish the rest of the day just to see him land a good one (holy sh*t it may have worked). This fish is definitely not one of the 40# fish that are now coming over the rail, this is a real one. He's on the fish almost the entire stop, around and around the boat several times on his 770H+Tac12ii while several fish are hooked, landed, and tossed in the box. I'm in the corner with a hot bait streaking away from the boat like its supposed to right into a bunch of boils and it's just not meant to be (the damn sacrifice!!!). I look down the rail to the bow and the gaffs (two) are out for my buddy and its game over. Guy took his sweet time but he got a real one. I think it was the only larger model landed in the afternoon but i could be wrong (i take all credit for the sacrifice i made to get him his fish). 80#.

IMG_2275 (1).jpg

At this point we have fished wayyyyyyy longer than we should have but Greg said he isn't one to drive away from biting fish, amen brother. We reel em all up and head to the barn @ about 2:45pm.

I put all my gear away, grabbed a cold one and sat and chatted with some new friends we made throughout the day. Guy with the MXJ from earlier in the story ended up landing multiple of the right kind after the heartbreak of losing a few including the one in the kelp tangle, was stoked for him. After a tasty burger from the galley it was time to catch some sleep during the 6hr trip back up the line.

Got back to the dock around 9:30 and the boat was poised for a quick turnaround with another overnight trip leaving that night.

If you are still reading at this point, I can't say enough about the crew of the Aztec. Greg is an absolute pleasure to fish with and everyone else on the crew is top notch. Each one of them was super willing to give out tips and do whatever it took to help you land fish. They fish hard and know exactly what they are doing. I would HIGHLY recommend jumping on a trip with these guys if you want a shot and these fickle beasts. Make sure to bring the right gear!!!!!!!

The spoils....

IMG_2284 (1).jpg

Cheers

2. Joda

Joda Member

Name:
    Jonathan c
    Boat:
    one day
    thanks for the detailed and entertaining report!

Brogan11 likes this.
  3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Thanks for that, took my mind of the shitty lunch I just chocked down

Brogan11 likes this.
  4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Excellent report, well done...

Brogan11 likes this.
  5. djennings

djennings Newbie

Name:
    David Jennings
    Boat:
    Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
    Solid Report! Nice PB BFT.

Brogan11 likes this.
  6. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    thanks for the info. Hard to beat that boat captain and crew. Those guys are on it. Wish my 1-1/2 day was on there this Friday but I’m on the tribute this go around.

Brogan11 likes this.
  7. nu2reels

nu2reels I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive
    Great report, thanks.

Brogan11 likes this.
  8. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    :appl:

Brogan11 likes this.
  9. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Top notch boat, Capt and report!

Brogan11 likes this.
  10. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Excellent write up, thx!

Brogan11 likes this.
  11. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sounds like a blast of a trip, congrats!

Brogan11 likes this.
  12. ROSSOLY

ROSSOLY Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice read. Did you use Mario's to process your fish? His site says they open until 8pm and your boat came in at 930, did the Aztec radioed him to stay open?

Brogan11 likes this.
  13. Brogan11

Brogan11 Member

Name:
    Logan
    Boat:
    The San Diego
    Five star was at the dock when we got back, i think someone must have called them.

14. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the great report.

Brogan11 likes this.
  15. LucazVilla

LucazVilla Member

Name:
    Lucaz Villa
    Boat:
    LA PATO
    and me working:hali_parkutuli:

Brogan11 likes this.
  16. raychavez91

raychavez91 Newbie

Name:
    Ramon Chavez
    Boat:
    nada
    Getting me pumped for my upcoming trip.
    Awesome read!

Brogan11 likes this.
  17. pv7740

pv7740 Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    None
    Very nice!! Thanks for the good read!

Brogan11 likes this.
  18. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Excellent read. Nice work!!

Brogan11 likes this.
  19. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    sweet baby Jeebis

Brogan11 likes this.
  20. coach2686

coach2686 Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    25ft Trojan
    Just curious as to how well your reel performed? I have a few of the fathoms and am very happy with their performance, how was the drag?

Brogan11 likes this.