1. Jordan Bergstrom

Jordan Bergstrom Newbie

Name:
    Jordan Bergstrom
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hopped on the Aztec for an overnight run. Love fishing the Aztec, Captain Greg is great and the crew is great. Started with the flat fall at grey light. Marked tons of fish on the graph but the bite was tough. I managed to snag one on the flat fall. Not the best way but hey I’ll take it. Couple more biters for us on the flat falls and sinker rigs but none made it to the deck. We kept grinding away looking for the tuna that wanted to play. Saw lots of fish on the surface but they would sink out when we got close. We did happen to hook a monster on one of the stops, almost spooled the angler on 80lb setup. He managed to gain a lot of line back before the fish decided to take another long run almost spooling him again. Fish eventually chafed off. Possibly a fish of a lifetime but we will never know. Back to the grind. At around 4 PM we started to see lots of fish everywhere. Our last stop of the day was a sight to see. Huge school of foamers just demolishing the anchovy. Like the deckhand said, it was something you would see in Panama and this school wasn’t sinking out one bit. I was tossing a small colt sniper trying to imitate the tiny anchovy. With my Komodo 463 and 9ft Phenix M1 Inshore rod I was really able to launch that sucker. I placed my cast right in the center of the foaming fish and got picked up immediately but unfortunately I blew it by thumbing my spool. Rookie move I know! My 25lb fluro leader broke in the middle. Tied on another leader and got ready to cast again. Placed another cast in the middle of the foamers and got picked up again only to lose it to my braid to fluro knot slipping! Tough last hour for me. We landed a couple more fish before we had to head back to the dock. Talk about bottom of the ninth inning. Fish was anywhere from 25-35lb, fun grade of fish on light line. All in all it was a decent first trip of the summer for me. Went 1-3 and put some fish in the freezer. Again this boat and crew is great, definitely check them out if you get a chance. Good luck out there!!

image1.jpeg

2. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Sounds fun. Early fish on deck hunt all day then find em. Thanks for the report. Those guys are fishy.

BrokenBackRebel likes this.
  3. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Good size tuna. Thanks for the report.

4. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thank you for the report. I had to stop and take a big NSAID pill because that writing style of all-one-paragraph literally gives me a headache trying to decipher it, but I got there in the end and gave it a like. I'm glad that you got one!

Tunahead and Bradleyjbush like this.
  5. REELCLOSE

REELCLOSE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Reinell
    Seems like a lot of that going on right now. Thanks for the report.

Tunahead likes this.
  6. Mo Betta

Mo Betta Offshore Prop Changer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Great report! What knot did you use that slipped?

Tunahead likes this.
  7. Jordan Bergstrom

Jordan Bergstrom Newbie

Name:
    Jordan Bergstrom
    Boat:
    N/A
    It was an RP knot that I rushed due to the foaming fish around the boat. Probably didn't sinch down correctly, bad mistake of my behalf.

Tunahead likes this.
  8. Jordan Bergstrom

Jordan Bergstrom Newbie

Name:
    Jordan Bergstrom
    Boat:
    N/A
    haha sorry about that, i'll break it up next time.

surfgoose likes this.
  9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE FISH...as they say fishing bluefin=ONE be better than none. LOL
    Way to give a go. That boat is fishy, always has been.

BrokenBackRebel likes this.