Aztec 3 Day

Hot-Reels

Jun 19, 2020
San Diego
Name
Jon Doe
Boat Name
N/A
Hey BDoutdoors just looking to see if anybody is going on the Aztec 3 day during 21Nov-24Nov. This will be my first Tuna trip and looking for some advice on hook sizes and what setups other people will be bringing. Currently this is what I will have in my quiver for this upcoming trip:

Makaria 50WII SEa 750yards of 130# threadlock and 100 yards of 130# mono. Rod is a UC INVICTUS 76
Makaira 30 SEa 655 yards of 130# threadlock with about a 1/4 room for top shot. Rod is a UC INVICTUS 76
Makaira 16 SEa 600 yards of 80# threadlock with enough room for a wind-on. Rod is a UC CENTUAR 76
Penn Fathom 30LD2 400 yards of solid 65. I plan on getting the new Penn Carnage III Wahoo Special rod for this when it comes out in late October early Nov.
Penn Fathom 25NSD 300 yards of 50# izorline and 100 yards of 40# mono. Rod is a 9' phenix black diamond rated 30-80.
Okuma Tesoro 12S with 480 yards of 65# ProSpec. Rod is a phenix axis 8'2" 30-80.
Shimano Tranx 400HG with 330 yards of 40# prospec. Rod is a phenix M1 9'H (I doubt this will get used at all but I'll bring it for catching mackerel for bait).

I don't have many lures except your standard surface and yo-yo. My only tuna lures are Nomad Buffalo flat falls in chartreuse glow, pink glow, and sardine all in 320G and then 200G chartreuse streaker jigs. From the reports I have seen people are using 300-500 gram knife/streaker jigs to get down quick. Is there any particular brand and colors I should look into getting for this trip?

For hooks I have Mutu circle hooks from 2/0-6/0 and size #1 and #2. Will I need anything bigger than a 6/0 for these big bluefin? Any help at all will be very much appreciated from this community as I am just trying to maximize my opportunity on this 3 day trip especially with it being my first one. Thank you

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat Name
    Aleta Azul
    Gear looks good if it's a BFT trip but I wouldn't assume that. Right now out at the Tanner it's blowing 30 and the waves are 13' at 7 seconds, water is down to 64 and will likely drop a fair bit more. The water is also a fair bit colder anyway than it's been this time the last couple of years and your trip is still 6 weeks away.

Hoping it will be but you should be prepared for it to be something other than a tuna trip.

Upvote 0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Brian Burchfield
    Boat Name
    22’ Trophy CC
    Gear looks good if it's a BFT trip but I wouldn't assume that. Right now out at the Tanner it's blowing 30 and the waves are 13' at 7 seconds, water is down to 64 and will likely drop a fair bit more. The water is also a fair bit colder anyway than it's been this time the last couple of years and your trip is still 6 weeks away.

Hoping it will be but you should be prepared for it to be something other than a tuna trip.
    I have a 3-day similar timeframe. If the counts suck and/or we aren't fishing tuna, I'll roll that deposit forward to next season. Fuck bottomgrabbers.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat Name
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Was supposed to be out there today... got canx'ed because of wind and waves.

At this point, I'm looking forward to next season. Good luck on your trip... hope you slay 'em.

Upvote 0

Hot-Reels

Jun 19, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon Doe
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I have a 3-day similar timeframe. If the counts suck and/or we aren't fishing tuna, I'll roll that deposit forward to next season. Fuck bottomgrabbers.
    Yes as of now the trip is a big bluefin or bust trip but if they say ahead of time it’s going to be targeting something other than tuna then I like the idea of rolling the deposit forward to another trip for tuna specifically. Thank you for the heads up

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    You definately have the heavier end of the spectrum covered. I would probably not bring your heaviest, and bring a 30, and 25 lb outfit. On my 2.5 day last week, we went south for dorado, then up to the Tanner. Small models of tuna and dorado hit the light line, also take hooks 4-1/0. I like ringed flyliner.

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    As far as flat fall jigs, try to find some knife and flat fall in 350- 500 gm range also, good colors are Blue/ Pink, Red Crab, and Glow

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat Name
    Homer l, AK 28’ Koffler aluminum 28’ San Diego, CA 22’ Whalers CC
    Quite an arsenal you have and if your 3-day were during the last couple of months……… euphoria!!!

Upvote 0