Offshore Aztec 2-day 9/13-9/15

Fullboat

• Apr 12, 2021
    California
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Someday...
    Just got back from my extended stay in SD after a 2-day on the Aztec. Here’s my report of the trip.

We expected to board at 8pm and shove at 9 but a few late anglers held us up by about 20 min. It was a private charter of only 16 and most of us had fished together in the past, so nobody minded.

A quick meeting in the galley with captain Nick indicated we’d be doing typical dorado day fishing and bluefin fishing at night. We were heading towards the west end of SCI and with the bumpy seas he hoped to be in the tuna zone around 3:30-4am for some night fishing before grey light.

It must’ve been bumpier and slower than the captain expected… I overslept until 5:30 and when I woke we had yet to get to the grounds or had made a stop. Grey light came and went, no BFT fishing yet, and we started looking for kelps. Our first day was very steady on decent quality dorado from 10-20lbs. We made numerous stops with most producing fish. By dinner we had about 120 for the boat. I had 9. Such a great day overall. I had hooked a few dorado way back in the albacore days, but they always shook the hook or came off, so this was my first time actually landing them.

We made the move to try for bluefin after dark, but due to very rough weather/waves the captain called it a night after our 3rd stop. 2 BFT in the 60lb range were caught that night.

Next morning was much calmer and we began the hunt for more kelp. It was a slow day, finding few kelps and even fewer that had willing fish. Lunch had come and gone, and I had changed into a cleaner pair of clothes for the ride back home. Then Nick announced he was seeing some jumpers in open water about a 1/4 mile ahead and to get ready on the tank. What ensued over the next couple of hours was complete pandemonium. An absolutely epic dorado bite. No kelp to be seen but fish that wanted to stay with the boat and die happily. The deckhands could barely keep up. Some anglers helped and gaffed fish. If you didn’t know how to tie a knot you we’re screwed because the deckhands didn’t have time to set down their gaffs. I think 2 fish were even free-gaffed swimming by the boat. By the end I had moved up to 60# and was literally bouncing fish to help alleviate the deckhands from having to gaff my fish. Not sure how many I got on that stop but we left them biting as we were 1 hour past schedule and at our limits.

The crew worked very hard on this trip. Galley food was awesome, deckhands we’re friendly and the crew put us on the fish. The dorado tacos for dinner on the ride home was a perfect way to end the trip.

For the most part, 20-30# flouro with a 1/0 hook was the ticket, but that last stop didn’t matter. Toss a dead bait on 60# and watch it get bit.

Hats off to our charter master for another great trip.

Now time to go make my own fish tacos for dinner.

Tight lines!!

<‘){{{~<

FFC14C2F-DBF6-4444-A41E-D8D897CCE2B7.jpeg

77672907-3EF2-4456-8589-87FC3E7256DC.jpeg

1D6B0B9E-03A3-4969-85C6-ADAD8B513043.jpeg

BB56C350-8094-45EC-B42A-A7DFB1B7546C.jpeg

3D60BFAC-E63D-4593-9C1E-E9F005ECF473.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat Name
    .--.
    The Aztec has an interesting history. I believe it's the boat originally built by Seaway Boatworks in Wilmington for Whitey Ashley. Whitey never did anything at half speed. He ran the heck out of that boat. For the day it was very fast. It was said he kept spare gear boxes in his garage for those engines, GM 853's (?). After the regular season Whitey would take the Aztec to Morro Bay to fish commercial Albacore and continue the Ashley legac, both fishing and at the Harbor Hut. Lol

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Yes there are some big bunks

View attachment 1425696

Yes there are some big bunks

View attachment 1425696
    Well, I learned by looking and measuring a LOT of boats over the decades that "big bunk" means a whole lot of different things to different people. Without actual sizes, like is posted for Polaris Supreme and some others, I have learned from hard experience to be very cautious. On one boat, that I like a lot and have ridden five times, the two-bunk staterooms are fine, but the three-high bunks are so close together vertically that I can't even roll over, although long enough. So the layout map provided above is fine for probably 95% of fishermen, but . . .

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    The Aztec has an interesting history. I believe it's the boat originally built by Seaway Boatworks in Wilmington for Whitey Ashley. Whitey never did anything at half speed. He ran the heck out of that boat. For the day it was very fast. It was said he kept spare gear boxes in his garage for those engines, GM 853's (?). After the regular Whitey would take the Aztec to Morro Bay to fish commercial Albacore and continue the Ashley legacy.
    Unless they've changed something in the last twenty years, it has three engines. Full speed ahead!
    One of my favorite boats when it was up at Berth 55 and Pierpoint.
    They used to have a VHS on board of a day free gaffing bigeyes. It was a hoot.
    Pin a sardine on the gaff, swirl it around at the corner and hold on!
    Then there was the day we towed the BG90 back from Catalina.

Upvote 0

Fullboat

• Apr 12, 2021
    California
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Someday...
    I’ve worked the Aztec. The aft bunkroom with two bunks are the nicest bunks by far. Double wide. Not sure on the length but I’m 6’3” and slept like a baby there. I can measure them for you next month sometime if you want @surfgoose just dm me.
    Are you referring to bunks CC and DD in the bunk map above? That was the the only room I didn’t get a chance to look in.

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Boat was repowered last winter, and yes it runs three engines. New Genset as well, all new machinery.

Greg also added a bulbous bow a few seasons ago.

Bunks were rearranged about 5-6 years ago by Greg, but are still pretty large with the aft “Charter Master Stateroom” plenty long. Buddy “Big Tall Matt” is about 6’5”, never heard him grouse about bunk size.

Upvote 0