Mark C.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
On this trip we had Greg in the wheelhouse, Justin, Oat, and Harry on deck, and Ryan in the galley. They had just come in from a very successful 2 day where they had a nice mixed bag of bft, yft, over 100 yellowtail, and a dodo. We were briefed and we learned that we wouldn’t be venturing too far, and that we would be staying tied up at the bait barge for a few hours after baiting up.

I slept like a rock and woke up very early to overcast skies and grease calm seas. Fished flat fall and sinker rig in the dark for nothing, at day break we motored around and looked for signs of life. Stopped on several puddlers throughout the morning and picked away at the bluefin, with some schools a little more willing to get with it than others. But no school really biting full speed.

Stopped on a few kelps with not much on them, one of them yielded 1 yellowtail, the only one for the day. A couple of times on paddies that we were approaching we were poached and beat to the spot by skiffs who were shadowing us. Lot of boat traffic in the area. We hit a little bit of a mid day lull where the tuna were down and pretty inactive and we took off a bit from the fleet searching for our own fish. Got on a pretty decent school later in the day that we plunked away on all the way until dark. Not wide open, but typical bft plunker style fishing with a few hanging at a time. The evening ended with a slug yft landed by one of the anglers.

I ended day 1 with 11 bft and 2 yft.

At the conclusion of day 1 captain Greg let the group know that we had enough bait for day 2 but we would be headed back to bait barge to load up some more, how badass is that!

Day 2 woke up to flat calm seas once again. Got underway and didn’t take long until we got on a good sized kelp with birds on it. I was the first to hook up with a yellowtail and had some fun wrestling it out of the kelp. I was able to land two more and got sawed off by an angler on another one. I believe we pulled 25 yellows off this paddy.

Drove around and stopped on a few spots of fish boiling under the birds, but the schools just wouldn’t stick with us. Kept looking hard for a good sized school to stop on and we finally got on a good one that lit up the sonar. Had them boiling good in our chum line and we started to plunk away. Slower pick fishing on day 2, the bluefin were being bluefin, boiling all around the boat but for the most part being pretty finicky. We stopped on a couple more schools and experienced much of the same, moody bluefin. Unfortunately time was up and we had to wrap it up.

I was able to land 2 more bluefin, lost another 3 to tangles, and pulled the hook on 2 as well. My trip total was 13 bft, 2 yft, and 3 yellowtail.

Awesome trip, especially considering the rest of the fleet seemed to have struggled a bit. Bait was very nice day 1, day 2 it was much harder to find good swimmers. Weather was amazing the entire trip, aside from the sun never breaking out. 25lb fluoro with a size 2 J hook did well for me, although we were suggested to use circles. I just fish the J’s like a circle and reel into the fish. Hot bait was key. I also caught a few on 120 gram sniper, bit down deep around ~100ft jigging on the way up. Nothing on small flat fall or sinker rig, although there were a few sinker rig fish caught by others. Day 2 I spent a bit of time trying to coax a bigger fish down deep on sinker rig, bait got raked once on the retrieve on but didn’t stick.

The crew of the Aztec was fantastic as always. Captain Greg kept us informed and engaged on the loud speaker the whole way, Justin kept everyone in sync on deck, Harry and Oat were extremely helpful, and Ryan cooked up some bomb food. Huevos rancheros, biscuits and gravy, tacos, prime rib, pastrami sandwiches, chocolate cake, and Oat made some amazing poke with one of my fish. Great time, tight lines.

CA3C8E2B-568D-494E-8F72-6365DD0582FC.jpeg

5CF2FAD9-8260-441D-B69F-F7B7F6B96DD4.jpeg
8B713E87-E7B7-4F25-8B17-2C2AC65DC31B.jpeg

33352296-98AD-43ED-A42C-0167D0749A40.jpeg

20AA0AF9-148C-4103-8F50-E901BDDD154A.jpeg

87223AEA-A80F-494F-85B8-5D86ED43FB2A.jpeg
7066360B-C756-4950-B56A-DEE41CC0522B.jpeg
FEAADD3C-116D-42E4-90A3-54914F90134B.jpeg
92E24BEC-FF0A-4078-8D33-7FAE0E99C99B.jpeg
0C8F02D8-690B-49B7-8A8B-08923534C0B6.jpeg
38CE9049-E2A0-4C3A-8C14-1F8E07978855.jpeg
BDA0F08F-8882-4D87-911D-8EF957A0B6CF.jpeg
539F0CED-1259-4787-992E-74B412B90748.jpeg
3DCFB743-3E29-414C-B849-644E31C64299.jpeg
39EFF3B3-809D-4CC8-814B-388E9853381E.jpeg
187B10D5-F7EC-41E8-BF2E-0FF96DB7D1CE.jpeg
D9E6582F-3B6F-4442-AE77-5A635A3D2582.jpeg
843A9C0F-1AE1-4FBB-8EC2-531736CBA045.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Killer job out there! You guys ate good.

Reactions: Mark C.

jktracing

Nov 17, 2011
Torrance
Name
eddie
Boat
nothing!
I was on the previous 2 day trip! Awesome captain and crew. They did the same thing re-baiting at night. EPIC!
Although i wasn't as successful as you on the BFT but caught a decent YFT!
Also, for anyone going with them in the near future, the setup is 30# setup, 30# flouro, size 2 circle hook, and a bait that takes off! new bait every minute. some guys had luck with sinker rigs (4-6oz torpedo sinker with rubber bands).

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Great job!

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
I was on the previous 2 day trip! Awesome captain and crew. They did the same thing re-baiting at night. EPIC!
Although i wasn't as successful as you on the BFT but caught a decent YFT!
Also, for anyone going with them in the near future, the setup is 30# setup, 30# flouro, size 2 circle hook, and a bait that takes off! new bait every minute. some guys had luck with sinker rigs (4-6oz torpedo sinker with rubber bands).
Congrats on the yft 🤙🏼 a lot of the yft this year have been very nice quality indeed, feeding up good on these small chovies. Glad you had a great time on your trip, always a great time on the Aztec.

110yd

May 14, 2004
Orange
Name
110yd
Boat
none
Greg and Crew (Justin, Oat, Harry, and Ryan in the galley) are a well oiled machine.. They bring smiles to my face, as well as quality fish every trip....
I know that I can bring anyone from seasoned anglers to just minted newbies, and they will have a good trip. Hope to make it out again soon...
First class operation..

DSC3986.jpg

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Great job, excellent report! The gunny sacks in the pictures confuse me, don't they still use rsw?
I actually found it a little odd too. They didn’t put them up until the second morning. I actually threw one of my yellowtail in mine when the bite was hot and ended up losing that fish somehow, don’t know if it was stolen or misplaced or what.

But to answer your question yes they have rsw, all fish are spiked and bled and put in the rsw right away. The gunny sacks appeared to be used to cover the fish from potential sunlight that never really happened during the fish filleting process.

Reactions: surfgoose

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Greg and Crew (Justin, Oat, Harry, and Ryan in the galley) are a well oiled machine.. They bring smiles to my face, as well as quality fish every trip....
I know that I can bring anyone from seasoned anglers to just minted newbies, and they will have a good trip. Hope to make it out again soon...
First class operation..

View attachment 1180223
Right on man! Couldn’t have said it better myself. Not only are they fishy as hell but they are very personable as well. First class operation for sure.

jktracing

Nov 17, 2011
Torrance
Name
eddie
Boat
nothing!
The gunny sacks in the pictures confuse me, don't they still use rsw?
It’s basically “Plan B”! Most of the time they can staple your number, bleed it and slide into the RSW but if you hit a school where everyone’s bit. They don’t have time to staple as the fish are coming up so they put it in your sack and wait till the bites over or slowed down.

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
San Diego
Name
Jim Berghauser
Boat
Na
I was able to land 2 more bluefin, lost another 3 to tangles, and pulled the hook on 2 as well. My trip total was 13 bft, 2 yft, and 3 yellowtail.
Question: were you able to keep all of your Bluefin? The boats I have been on this summer are allowing you to keep your two biggest bluefin tuna (each day) and anything extra they are sharing with passengers who did not catch any fish, or less than their limit. sort of like tournament bass fishing lol....

Was that the case on the Aztec? Not sure what Seaforth‘s policy is these days. Personally I like boats that adhere to keeping your limit and giving anything over that to the less fortunate anglers allowing eveyone to bring something home since trips are so expensive. I don’t mind sharing and helping others....Karma. We all have our bad days. It’s nice to know there is a little insurance.

Reactions: Mark C. and JK47

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
I'd hope he doesn't answer that question on a public forum if he was allowed to keep over his legal limit...

Reactions: huntingjaja

StetheHookey

Sep 23, 2012
La Verne
Name
terry conklin
Boat
Lil Pup
One of the best trips ever. My friend and I were on that one and had a blast, ate well and slept like a rock. Made some great friends, and learned more on how to land those tuna without wasting a lot of energy. Thanks Marc for the post and the info on the hot set up.
Harry's chum line was insane. Had Justin screaming about how the tuna was rising on the bait all day. The 1st evening and day 2 were magical for me. Very thankful.
Slept thru the whole trip back and re-baiting process, that was nice.
Food insane. And there were some characters out there too. Learn a lot every trip.
Listen to the Crew. Everything works out fine.