PENN

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Left the dock with captains Greg and Justin at the wheel. Loaded up some decent 5-6” sardines, with some small macs mixed in. Captain Greg gave us an excellent rundown of our game plan and informed us that the grade of fish they have been seeing has been changing daily, so we needed to be prepared for bft ranging in size from 20-200lbs.

We got in the zone and at around 230am we were dropping jigs on the first school, but couldn’t get anything to go. Tried several more schools in the dark but they were hard to stay on top of. No fish were hooked until just after grey light, the first batch of fish landed were on sinker rig. We stayed on this school for much of the morning and plunked away, they would swim through and we’d hook 1 to 3 at a time on sinker rig or jigs. Most of these fish were 40-50lbers, with a few bigger ones in the mix.

Once the bite from this school dissipated we made a move to look for another one. We trekked along a temp break and found another school, this time a bit smaller grade mostly 20-30lbers, but they were more willing to play. We had them fired up and boiling in our chum for a good few hours.

This is when having a finesse combo really helped to get bit on flyline, 20-30lb fluoro and small hooks, size 2 j hook or size 4 circle, and the ability to get your bait away from the boat. Jigs were killing it on this stop as well. 120-140 gram Zakanas and SK’s, fished on 50-60lb fluoro.

There were a few jumbos hooked, but all lost. Couple of guys lost their fish after long battles, and one guy had their split ring open up on a jig. There’s some mean fish out there mixed in with the smaller grade.

We later found a nice kelp patty which yielded 7 yellows, a couple of them were really nice grade too.

I landed 1 Yellowtail, and went 12/13 on the bft and landed the biggest of the trip, 60lbs on the 140g Daiwa SK jig. Overall I’d say it was an equal percentage of fish landed on sinker rig, flyline, and jigs. All depending on the activity level of each school, and where in the water column they are.

The Aztec crew rocks, food was bomb, and the service was excellent as usual.

BA678792-2443-4733-88CE-96AB2C6B4E35.jpeg
91F5277B-8DC8-4B0F-9BD6-C66F2E52997E.jpeg
1A977F92-2D5E-4B4B-B5C7-C9FA55336D2C.jpeg
4AB42F9B-EF8F-40B8-A4CD-6EE4F60421CC.jpeg
65ADD33B-DA0F-4ECD-9A23-03A66348B030.jpeg
EA3CD2FF-CDC3-4CB7-81EC-D6049ACE4CE9.jpeg
CC0530FF-0E05-4733-A693-ACECB3754EAA.jpeg
0BCA6B23-AF26-41C6-82CA-FE47211B1BCB.jpeg

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
What is the treble hook you used? I was thinking about rigging a couple of jigs that way. And, did the fish swallow it, or was the hook set in the mouth?

Nice job, BTW?

Reactions: Mark C.
Upvote 0

110yd

Almost A Member
May 14, 2004
Orange
Name
110yd
Boat
none
Left the dock with captains Greg and Justin at the wheel. Loaded up some decent 5-6” sardines, with some small macs mixed in. Captain Greg gave us an excellent rundown of our game plan and informed us that the grade of fish they have been seeing has been changing daily, so we needed to be prepared for bft ranging in size from 20-200lbs.

We got in the zone and at around 230am we were dropping jigs on the first school, but couldn’t get anything to go. Tried several more schools in the dark but they were hard to stay on top of. No fish were hooked until just after grey light, the first batch of fish landed were on sinker rig. We stayed on this school for much of the morning and plunked away, they would swim through and we’d hook 1 to 3 at a time on sinker rig or jigs. Most of these fish were 40-50lbers, with a few bigger ones in the mix.

Once the bite from this school dissipated we made a move to look for another one. We trekked along a temp break and found another school, this time a bit smaller grade mostly 20-30lbers, but they were more willing to play. We had them fired up and boiling in our chum for a good few hours.

This is when having a finesse combo really helped to get bit on flyline, 20-30lb fluoro and small hooks, size 2 j hook or size 4 circle, and the ability to get your bait away from the boat. Jigs were killing it on this stop as well. 120-140 gram Zakanas and SK’s, fished on 50-60lb fluoro.

There were a few jumbos hooked, but all lost. Couple of guys lost their fish after long battles, and one guy had their split ring open up on a jig. There’s some mean fish out there mixed in with the smaller grade.

We later found a nice kelp patty which yielded 7 yellows, a couple of them were really nice grade too.

I landed 1 Yellowtail, and went 12/13 on the bft and landed the biggest of the trip, 60lbs on the 140g Daiwa SK jig. Overall I’d say it was an equal percentage of fish landed on sinker rig, flyline, and jigs. All depending on the activity level of each school, and where in the water column they are.

The Aztec crew rocks, food was bomb, and the service was excellent as usual.

View attachment 1291086View attachment 1291087View attachment 1291088View attachment 1291089View attachment 1291090View attachment 1291091View attachment 1291092View attachment 1291093
Great report on an Awesome boat and crew. Captains Greg and Justin consistently get the job done...Many a killer memory of pulling on good ones with that crew, along with fine dining in the galley.

Keepers-1.jpg

Keepers-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
What is the treble hook you used? I was thinking about rigging a couple of jigs that way. And, did the fish swallow it, or was the hook set in the mouth?

Nice job, BTW?
Owner ST-66TN 4X strong treble, size 3/0. Hooked mostly in the corner of the mouth, using the reel set type hookset. Rod used was a UC RUS 80 Predator, it’s a bit more parabolic in action and I felt it was a great pairing with the treble hook.

I actually swapped to the treble in the middle of the bite because I was getting bumped on the retrieve with stock cord hooks, but the fish wouldn’t stick.

Reactions: Cubanaso
Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Nice job getting it done! great report and photos also, BTW what treble hook did you on that SK?
Owner ST-66TN 4x strong, size 3/0. Size 8 Ultra Hyperwire split ring on the bottom, went with a larger sized split ring up top for more freedom of movement. Connected to Spro power barrel swivel to help mitigate line twist.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Great report on an Awesome boat and crew. Captains Greg and Justin consistently get the job done...Many a killer memory of pulling on good ones with that crew, along with fine dining in the galley.
Agree completely! Cant say enough great things about their operation.

Upvote 0