Aztec 09.24-09.26 Reverse 1.75 Day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by dtfisherman, Sep 27, 2018.

1. can

can Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Awesome write up. Thank you. Was wondering how the trips were.

2. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Good Luck Auggie!
    The squid have started to bloom in small pockets in the tuna zone: Desperation-81-86. Even 8-10 miles outside Mail Point and above the West End of SCI. My brother in law, Steve, I seriously believe is half fish, secret is to pin a fresh squid alive or dead onto a flatfall, drop it into the zone and be prepared to be bit. You can try pinning on the market stuff but he says it doesn't work. Even the fresh dead individually vacuum sealed then frozen prime stuff he packs doesn't work but... you know his secret now. Lmk if it works.

palella09 and Auggie like this.
  3. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    bruce
    Boat:
    ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
    Thanks Danny. Great write up as usual. Nice job on treating that BFT fever. It is a very bad disease...a life long affliction. Your info will go a long way in treating and curing others. Your flatfall recommendations are spot on. You have to put the jig in that bite zone. So many have told me they were hit on the drop. Mine have been on the retrieve working the zone. A few quick cranks and then there is that heavy feeling as the rod tip begins to bend. A few more cranks and yeah we're on!!!

You still got the fever or are you cured for the season? Let me know. Maybe I can join you at the rail! When is the poke party?

4. Auggie

Auggie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    None
    Copy that. Will keep in mind. Year before last almost to the day I was at Tanner and we were fishing squid on 100# on the bottom with 10oz torpedos. For 41 60 - 120 grade.

5. trandc9

trandc9 Member

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Parker 2530
    Thanks for an excellent report.

6. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Bruce,
    Going to miss the New Moon bite in October but not the New Moon bite in November. November 2017 New Moon bite probably the best in California Sportfishing history for the big blues. 100#-200#ers wide open. Repeat?
    Peace

7. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sounds like the 2 earlier 1.5 day trips I took without the results, as we caught zero big Blues on those. I worked the flat falls until my arms fell off to no avail.

It sure helps to be both lucky and good! Glad most folks went home with fish, right on! Nice write up.

There is no cure for Bluefin Tuna fever! Only the pocket book and time available holds us back, and of course lady luck, perseverance and dedication to the sport!

It really is a case of drop everything and go fishing when the bite is on, weather permitting! That bite dies off oh so quickly, here today and gone tomorrow.

jiggyn likes this.
  8. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Hi Dr. Cory,

If I have to be diagnosed with something, not going to complain about terminal BFT or Bluefin Tuna Fever! Wondering if you give me a note that says BFT, maybe I can use it for my sick days at work :-D

Bluefin bite pattern can be unpredictable like the weather but the past two years as long as weather conditions permit, post-Full moon, pre and post New Moon have been the best pattern for BFT with my limited data.

And Yes, drop everything works well too. Especially if you have a friend with a boat that can safely fish the tuna grounds.

Peace,

Danny

9. bajatex

bajatex Newbie

Name:
    Tex Mitchell
    Boat:
    25' Invader
    Steller report!! Great fishing with you Danny. I am still gutted from having the hook pull on my big one!! I was super stoked that Seth got one though. Crazy to think that out of 3 bites on the big fish, Seth and I got 2 of them. Seth and I didn't know anyone else on this trip when we booked it. Really great group of guys that I hope to share the rail with again. Agree that Justin is one of the best deck hands out there. His energy and enthusiasm is contagious and never shuts down.

fish&snow, nmthree and Auggie like this.
  10. getaway

getaway Newbie

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    23 parker, sea venture
    Great report! Thank you.

11. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None

Yes, Danny and Seth, great fun fishing with you guys. It was a great trip. For a big BFT Trip, couldn’t ask for more.

I love how Greg constantly gives the play by play and yes Justin is an awesome DH. I came home with a 50# er, no complaints...still don’t have my moose for the year

vegasandre, bajatex and fish&snow like this.
  12. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Big Guy,
    Your buddy Seth had a little dark cloud around his head as we sat in the galley after every drift. I could see he was getting a bit anxious seeing others bit and landing fish so I kept telling him he'd be next but thinking after my friend Xiao first. My friend Xiao did get short bit first and the rest of the story, I've already posted. You could see he was smiling inside the next 30 hours and that little dark cloud disappeared completely. Amazing what a 213#er can do.
    Fished with Justin several times now, I'm sure he'd be a great captain of his own boat one day if he wanted. He sets the bar pretty high...
    When I talked about character, one of the guys is you of course. Not many guys would fight a big blue, go four times around the boat, be gutted, show no anger and still smile. I believe He's making you stronger so that 197#er I saw and measured in the water will look mighty small next to your 250#er.
    Peace

fish&snow and bajatex like this.
  13. Smiler1958

Smiler1958 Newbie

Name:
    Marshall Bubel
    Boat:
    Westerly
    Superb report!

14. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, thanks for your report, great read. All but one of your Bluefin came in the first 3 hours of the trip? Last one that night at 1:30 A.M. Absolutely zero all day trying live bait, flylined and any other method you could think of is crazy. Justin, met him and fished with him in PV on the Apollo last year in February. Solid as they come.

Hoping for something similar next weekend on a 2.5 on the Prowler. Looks like your Aztec catch reported on the 26th was followed up the next day with limits of Bluefin 40-100 lbs on the Prowler. We’ll see if I have what it takes to fish the night bite. Thinking Avet EX30W on a Two by Four. Maybe Mak16SEa on the Viper. If that is, we get a chance to be in the area to try for them. Watching the video reminds me to poke around and find my light for my cap.

15. heatsource

heatsource Newbie

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    north river
    been lots of squid for a few weeks west of sci, sabikid them with underwater lights on recent trips, and have brought up flat falls after a long soak with squids on each hook. dropped one back with squid on it and had a hook up!

Auggie likes this.
  16. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Yes.
    Out of three bite periods. We were 1 for 3. After a solid start we had high expectations for the rest of the trip but not meant to be. ABC's Wide World of Sports sums it up best, "Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat".
    I love Avets because they're solid and they're one of a few manufacturers who make them for guys that like to fish lefty. EX30W and your 2x4 will give you the edge in a battle. Just set your drag around 20#, per Justin, so your big boy won't break off in one of it's zero to sixty runs. You can push it past strike if you want to add some heat. You have 40# at full.
    Seth said the headlight helped alot because he couldn't see the line peeling or how he was layering his cranks. heard only good things about the prowler and the new Captain.
    Good Luck!

17. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    You talk to my brother in law, Steve? That was his secret... :-D

18. Julia Black

Julia Black Newbie

Name:
    Julia Black
    Boat:
    I wish
    Wow, great report! Thanks for the write up and all the detail

19. Fishmount

Fishmount Newbie

Name:
    Blank
    Boat:
    Blank
    Great report. 10^6 Thanks!
    looking forward to board the Tomahawk for a 2.75 reverse trip leaving 10/8.
    Gearing up for this trip is a 100# setup consists of a 16VISX + a loaner 5.5ft Calstar 6465XH. As this will be my 1st time on heavy gear, tried lifting 20-30# free weight at home proved to be almost impossible without using the rail; but I think I got it.
    As suggested, I will mark the line every 100ft & guestimate the depth based on line angle. For a 45 degree line angle with a 100ft line out, the actual depth would be 70ft (70%). As a newbie, this picture would help, I suppose if I could remember, while covering the column.

LineOut & Angle_Depth.jpg

20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    OK, moving on, great diagrams. So 30 degrees and 90 feet, 60 degrees and 50 feet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018