Aztec 09.24-09.26 Reverse 1.75 Day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by dtfisherman, Sep 27, 2018.

1. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    What is a Reverse 1.75 Tuna or Bust Trip.

Time:11AM launch on one day, 7AM return two days later.

Numbers: 44 hours on the water. 30 hours in the bite zone. 7 hours to the tuna grounds and 7 hours back.

13 BFT 30-60#. 1 Cow/Moose taped at 223#. 1 Cow/Moose taped at 213#. 1Cow/Moose hook pulled after 4 laps over and under good guys.

My first Reverse 1.75 Bluefin hunt. Didn’t know how to pace myself because we were on the tuna grounds and fishing by 6 PM decking 13 in the 30-60# range and 1 at 223# by 9PM. Everyone, 26 of us, ate dinner almost reluctantly because Bluefin were swirling still in our minds. After a hasty but tasty meal by Ryan we all got back on rail but one by one guys were calling it a day after we realized it was suddenly 12:45 AM. So by 1:15 AM, there were only 5 of us on the port rail looking at each other and silently wondering who was going to lead us to the hay. 1:15AM turns to 1:20, 1:27 then the three guys in the corner stern finally surrender and wind up fully intending to rack their rods. First two lines are wearily reeled in and Seth ready for bed does the same but after two cranks his rod loads up with a 213#er that wants to play. Fresh one on at 1:30AM! 80%-90% of the non-kite cows (yellowfin and Bluefin 200#+)/moose I’ve seen hooked the last three years are fought, landed and decked by the deckhands and or captains. They hooked the fish and may have fought it 20-50% of the time but 100% I saw that they didn’t catch it and couldn’t catch it on their own. Out of respect to the fish, the guys that helped and yourself, tell the truth. It doesn’t hurt to give the fish and crew some of the credit. They earned and deserve it. Real fisherman may lie about non-fishing but its against our sacred code to lie about our catch. Most of us have eyes, a nose and ears that can sense a tall tale and if it’s fishy instinctively and instantly anyway. It’s scientifically proven to be in our DNA by a Harvard Professor H. Frankfurt as a BS Meter. Stretching and bending is allowable but by breaking it you keep hooking and give up on ever really catching. To Seth’s skill and credit, and Brian’s the same,6 lapper 223#er caught earlier in the evening, both anglers hooked, landed and caught their fish 100% on their own. I’m sure, Baja Tex would’ve done the same if his hook would’ve stuck. At 2:30 AM, Seth’s three gaff beast hits the deck with a sweet sound and an incredible thud. Your eyes can’t believe what it’s seeing but you know it’s not a dream because you can only feel sound in dreams and this sound you can still hear echoing hours and days later…

Bluefin fever is preventable but if you catch it be aware that it may take years to cure and can be brutal to one’s ego and health. 13 guys caught 15 BFT. 11 of us got one bite and one fish. 2 got two bites and two fish. 12 experienced guys didn’t get bit at all, actually 13 didn’t get bit ( 1 caught balloon fish ) and my friend Xiao got bit twice but no love. And this is worth repeating and reminding, we were 30 hours working hard in the bite zone. Point is: knots, connections, drag, everything needs to be dialed in because you may have one chance literally at a fish of a lifetime … Gary, the Eveready battery bunny set the bar pretty high with endless and relentless, 100’s…., flatfall drops followed by Andre’s non-stop vertical jigging energy and rail discipline, while the rest of us held our own. Lots of us will be flatfall cranky sore for days. Not sure about the others but I slept 5-6 hours the entire trip. These 25 guys are some of the most skilled I’ve ever fished with but most admirable was the character of these guys. I think everyone got better at their game by sharing ideas and also got fish to take home except 1 or 2 that disappeared quickly off the boat. Especially kind was Brian and Rusty that shared much of their catch with those that were without. Class act…

Pattern that didn’t work: giant squid with yummy rig. Deadly two weeks ago on the Toro.

Pattern that did work. 10 caught on sardines. 30#-50# fluoro. 5 on the flatfall. 2 Cows on the flatfall.

Flatfall Pattern: Most of the big boys were being marked 30-40 Fathoms ( 180’-240’ ). Drop flatfall to the marked depth, 2-3 cranks and it was game on. Patrick imho logically theorized that the big boys were following and eyeing the flatfall downward and the stop then 2-3 cranks upward triggered their instinct to attack like an typical reaction bite. All 3 big boys were the same pattern on this day. A efficient way to capitalize on this pattern would be to drop to 100’ then 2-3 cranks, sink/drop to 150’ then 2-3 cranks, drop to 200’ then 2-3 cranks , 250’ then 2-3 cranks, and 300’ then 2-3 cranks. Rinse and repeat. Or do the opposite and drop to 300’ then 2-3 cranks. Pull up to 250’ stop then 2-3 cranks…work the water column in either order but the same consistent pattern.

Let’s say prime time for Bluefin is arguably 6PM-6AM. Then here’s Bluefin fishin thinking:

Overnite: 22 hours on the water. 8 hours fishing. One( 1.0) AM period in the bite zone.
    1.5 Day: 33 hours. 19 hours fishing. 1.0 PM and 1.0 AM period in the bite zone.
    Reverse 1.75Day: 44 hours. 30 hours fishing. 2.0 PM and 1.0 AM period in the bite zone.
    2.0 Day: 46 hours. 32 hours fishing. 1.0 PM and 2.5 AM period in the bite zone.
    2.5 Day: 60 hours. 46 hours fishing. 2.0 PM and 2.0 AM period in the bite zone.

Bottom Line: How many shots: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 can your mind, body and pocket take or want to take? Trophy fishing or fishing?

Right boat. Right school. Right time. Right place. Good Luck on being Right!

At around midnight the crew let us know the fat lady is on deck. I congratulate Gary for being the last man standing after probably 1000+ drops but surprisingly he says he’s not. Gary didn’t recall his name but by his description it had to be only one angler at the bow, Brandon. What’s amazing is that during most of the trip he was the guy whose line liked to tangle with everyone even his own. After a quick lesson on hooking sardines, feathering, facing the wind…he was off to the races. I watched him take 2-3 minutes making a perfect butt hook and cast the DOA dine out. I reminded him the water bottles are $1.50 but the dines are free all trip. He started nose hooking, shoulder hooking, butt hooking and probably hooked a quarter of the dines left by himself. The rest of the day his line was tight and he was working the rail. At dark he was at the bow casting and cranking his striped glow flatfall. He didn’t get bit but last man standing means he got the fever.

Last but not least, thanks to Greg and his crew for their 100% effort to put us on the fish and to He who provides, protects and gives us victory. Brian's 223# Bluefin Aztec.jpg Jonathan Livingston Seagull.jpg

Attached Files:

2. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Great report thanks. 100%!

Tunahead likes this.
  3. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    Hard work standing at the rail that long, but thats blue fin for you. Remember albacore fishing when you could hang around waiting for a jig stop to put you at the rail for 10 minutes are time. Good work getting it done!

Tunahead likes this.
  4. soopaflyjm1

soopaflyjm1 Member

Name:
    J Money
    Boat:
    Reel Fun
    I was hoping someone would report that trip. Thank you for taking the time to fill us all in!

nmthree and Tunahead like this.
  5. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    Great report, sounds like good times.

nmthree and Tunahead like this.
  6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Excellent report, thank you! I'm really glad that it wasn't a "Bust" trip with all of that effort! And good of you to call out the crew effort in helping with these brutes. I stopped being too proud to ask for help a decade ago. Now, every time that I go onto a sportboat, I take a couple of crewmen aside and tell them to keep an eye on me, and if I look like I'm getting too hot or tired, just tap me out for a few minutes and let me get my energy back up. I have no interest in coming back to the dock in a body bag, or spoiling anyone else's trip with a medical emergency. They always smile and agree to team up with me as needed. I don't give a hoot about an IGFA record anyway.

T.O.T.W. and Tunahead like this.
  7. larry dickson

larry dickson Member

Name:
    Chuck Roast
    Boat:
    20' Skip
    Thanks for a great report, glad you guys did well, preparation, positive attitude, time and effort are all critical. Also don't forget a little luck never hurts. And don't forget a never give up attitude, got to keep going until you achieve your goal. Best wishes to all bder's, hope you all get a big one!

fish&snow likes this.
  8. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Man spot on report

nmthree likes this.
  9. fish&snow

fish&snow lurker

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Reel Freedom

Wow! What a great report Danny! This is Jamie, the long haired guy on the boat. It was an absolute pleasure to stand at the rail with you. We cranked harder than I ever wish to again. Ha Ha. Shoulder is feeling better than I thought it would. Your depiction of the trip is spot on! Great detail. The Boat and crew kicked ass for sure. Justin is the best I have ever encountered. I hope to share the rail again with all these guys on board that day, as nobody was "THAT GUY". Tight Lines Danny!!

vegasandre and Tunahead like this.
  10. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE FISH and report. Man that's a long read while watching Rams game. LOL

nmthree likes this.
  11. giggs huang

giggs huang Newbie

Name:
    giggs huang
    Boat:
    N/A
    great write-up!

nmthree likes this.
  12. tranm2001

tranm2001 Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Same as yours
    Got to love this report, feel like I'm at the rail with everyone.

13. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Thanks for a great and informative write up I

14. John_Doe

John_Doe Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    Hinano Tahiti
    Well said, well said, well said.

15. rustman

rustman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rusty
    Boat:
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Great summary of a trip that everyone fishing put in an honest effort and the boat crew did everything possible to put us on the meat. It was tough fishing and regardless of experience luck was your best friend.

16. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    That was a great report. I’m on a similar trip leaving Wednesday 1 PM on the fortune. Extended 1.5 day trip, 15 guys, Bluefin or bust trip.
    15 guys on Bruce’s boat should be very comfortable. Your description of the all night flat fall session was awesome. Personally I love that kind of fishing. It’s just hard core.

17. Jdouglas

Jdouglas Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    17' holiday center console
  18. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Nice report and info. I can’t wait for my 1.75 day trip on the Aztec!

19. Auggie

Auggie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks for the great detailed report , can't wait to jump back on the Aztec next week. I haven't been on it since last fall when we had 41 big ones on a day and a half.

20. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the report.