Axis 780 Phenix or 820. H or XH. Looking for suggestions for baitcasting for San Diego Bluefin. Will be using it with Penn Fathom 25N 2 speed reel.

Fred100

Jul 24, 2008
Vista
Name
Fred
Boat
none
Phenix Axis 780 or 820. H or XH. Looking for suggestions for baitcasting for San Diego Bluefin. Will be using it with Penn Fathom 25N or 30 2-speed reel. Want to get bait as far away from the party boat as possible when casting without giving away too much when it comes to fighting a fish. Time to update my old stuff at a reasonable cost. Thanks for the input.

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    I have a 25N on the 820H. I use it mainly for throwing iron though. I just picked up an 820XH and stuck a 40N on that. Love those rods, nice tip should be good for casting baits.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Both rods are very good, and excellent values for the dollar. If the goal is yellowtail then the 820H would cast a bit easier, and still fight fine. If the goal is bluefin then the 780XH would be more appropriate. You are going to be using a sinker rig for bluefin more than flylining, very likely, or dropping lures. So the decrease in casting distance is not that important.

In the future you will have an 820 for the 25N and a heavier rod for your heavier reel, which should be a 40N. The cost difference is negligible between the 30 and 40, and the 40 is the appropriate step-up from the 25.

Upvote 0

Fred100

Jul 24, 2008
    Vista
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    none
    Both rods are very good, and excellent values for the dollar. If the goal is yellowtail then the 820H would cast a bit easier, and still fight fine. If the goal is bluefin then the 780XH would be more appropriate. You are going to be using a sinker rig for bluefin more than flylining, very likely, or dropping lures. So the decrease in casting distance is not that important.

In the future you will have an 820 for the 25N and a heavier rod for your heavier reel, which should be a 40N. The cost difference is negligible between the 30 and 40, and the 40 is the appropriate step-up from the 25.
    thanks for the info. currently, majority of bluefin out of san diego are being caught on a flylined sardine, small #4 mutu circle hook, and 30 lb floro leader. That said, casting as far away from the party boat is important. Again all, thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Latest posts