longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Launched at 5 this morning with my uncle and picked up an ok scoop of bait. We were greeted with a mixed up swell that was running from every direction that made running out a little slow.
20190905_064847.jpg

We headed towards the 425 and found a kelp just SW of the islands that had some rat yellows on it but nothing else. We bailed and continued south for nada. Made a U turn towards the 302 but didn't make it very far. Corey (Hardcor) called me and said he was bit and was only a mile from us 20 over 25.

We headed over and didn't make it all the way to where Corey was as there was a big kelp that was loaded with yellowfin that wanted to die. It was wide open for the next hour on quality fish. It took chum to get them going but once up they bit well. All fish were caught on 20lb with size 4 hook and small baits.
20190905_154643.jpg

Once we had our fill I waved in 2 boats to take the school from me and chummed the rest of my bait for them. Both boats were bit up good when I left.

On the way in just west of the south 9 there were foamers of yellowfin up all over with no one around. I played catch and release with 4 more fish on the sniper stick bait. Back to the dock before noon.

Thanks again for the call Hardcor we had a blast!!

Good luck!

ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Launched at 5 this morning with my uncle and picked up an ok scoop of bait. We were greeted with a mixed up swell that was running from every direction that made running out a little slow.View attachment 1065316
We headed towards the 425 and found a kelp just SW of the islands that had some rat yellows on it but nothing else. We bailed and continued south for nada. Made a U turn towards the 302 but didn't make it very far. Corey (Hardcor) called me and said he was bit and was only a mile from us 20 over 25.

We headed over and didn't make it all the way to where Corey was as there was a big kelp that was loaded with yellowfin that wanted to die. It was wide open for the next hour on quality fish. It took chum to get them going but once up they bit well. All fish were caught on 20lb with size 4 hook and small baits. View attachment 1065317

Once we had our fill I waved in 2 boats to take the school from me and chummed the rest of my bait for them. Both boats were bit up good when I left.

On the way in just west of the south 9 there were foamers of yellowfin up all over with no one around. I played catch and release with 4 more fish on the sniper stick bait. Back to the dock before noon.

Thanks again for the call Hardcor we had a blast!!

Good luck!
Thanks for the intel. Heading out on the morning and that's very helpful. Does anyone have definitive information from the mex gov on whether or not fishing the 425 and the area immediately north of there requires an FMM visa and boat TIP? The mexican website says inshore is within "12 miles from coastline" which I always assumed meant the mainland. The 425 is 19 miles from the mainland, but 11 from the Coronado Islands. I know I've been on sportboats fishing within 12 miles of the Coronados without visas, but I also know they don't always follow the rules. I had a few people tell me, "they don't patrol the area so don't worry about it", but I'd like to follow their rules regardless of whether they enforce them or not. I've heard of several people getting into fish in that zone in the last 2 days and plan to give it a shot tomorrow, just want to know if I need to burn $90 on visas. Thanks!

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Thanks for the intel. Heading out on the morning and that's very helpful. Does anyone have definitive information from the mex gov on whether or not fishing the 425 and the area immediately north of there requires an FMM visa and boat TIP? The mexican website says inshore is within "12 miles from coastline" which I always assumed meant the mainland. The 425 is 19 miles from the mainland, but 11 from the Coronado Islands. I know I've been on sportboats fishing within 12 miles of the Coronados without visas, but I also know they don't always follow the rules. I had a few people tell me, "they don't patrol the area so don't worry about it", but I'd like to follow their rules regardless of whether they enforce them or not. I've heard of several people getting into fish in that zone in the last 2 days and plan to give it a shot tomorrow, just want to know if I need to burn $90 on visas. Thanks!
The 425 requires the Visa and the 371 Doesn't. I walk across the border and get the Visa immediately on the other side. $29 for six months.

Reactions: longboard85

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
The 425 requires the Visa and the 371 Doesn't. I walk across the border and get the Visa immediately on the other side. $29 for six months.

Thanks for that. How if you are just transiting the area, like to the 302? You cross a little bit of the verboten area.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Depends on the Cop. Couple years ago the bite was right on the border north of the 226. Mexican patrol was right there. Mexicans want you to have the Visa for within 12 miles of the Coronado Islands.

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Cody, you get a Pressure Canner yet? :)

I fish the 425 all the time with no Visa. Never seen the Mex Navy out there. Just claim Asylum, they'll let you go. :)