I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
any ideas for an avet rod clamp wrench that is an improvement over what comes with the reels?

finding a screwdriver or some kinda knife with a blade large enough to cut a slot in aint happening and im not set up to weld stainless or to mill out something better.
Any ideas?

JFK

Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
I must be missing something....I use a regular old screwdriver to put mine on. Did they change something?

NorthShore41

Jul 19, 2010
Mo Town, CA
the old reels (like my LX 2 speed) have a reel clamp nut that has split toggles, like some of the older penns... I don't even have the wrench or tool that may have come with it (got the reel used).

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
now that i wrote that...
i use the reel on a non-reel seat rod. the screws on the clamp recess into the clamp to the point i can't get a screwdriver on them. the best solution is going to be for me to build the grip on the rod up so that the clamp has a larger diameter surface to bite on.
i caught a good yellowfin at alijos and the reel tturned on the rod to where i was reeling sideways! i landed the fish.
thanks for the reply- it stimulated some era 1969 brain cells!
shellback

FishingDentist

Jun 26, 2004
LA
Name
Ben
Boat
Nope
any ideas for an avet rod clamp wrench that is an improvement over what comes with the reels?

finding a screwdriver or some kinda knife with a blade large enough to cut a slot in aint happening and im not set up to weld stainless or to mill out something better.
Any ideas?
I know what you mean, I have the same issues. I can't find a flat head that is wide enough to engage both sides of the clamp screws. I don't fish Avets that much, so I pretty much just use the wrench that it comes with and deal with it. Using that wrench is kind of a pain and is very slow and can be difficult on a pitching boat.

Let me know if you come up with any solution.

Lou W

registered offender
Apr 7, 2004
Poway, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
Rabbit Hole
Take the wrench that comes with shimano reel, the kind with the screw driver at the end. Grind it down a bit so the end is as wide as your reel set nuts. Hollow grind it a bit to thin it down so it fits the slots, file a recess in the middle if you have interference from the clamp stud. You don't need the shimano tool though, any scrap of steel would work or a cheap larger screwdriver from harbor freight will do. A bench grinder and a small mill bastard and 10 minutes will do it

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
If you have the avet wrench you can improve it by making a simple wood handle. Just take a 4" or 5" piece of wood dowell and cut a slot in it with a hand saw. slide the handle part of the avet wrench into the slot and epoxy it in place or you can wrap it with thread and put a couple of coats of flexcoat on it. Makes it a lot easier to handle.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Here is your answer & what you need, works great....

<FORM name=cart_quantity action=http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_57&products_id=721&action=add_product&osCsid=f24i9soqrtuc00j9fvk43tcv41 method=post><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pageHeading vAlign=top>Cals 2-Speed 4 Way Reel Wrench</TD><TD class=pageHeading vAlign=top align=right>£11.49 inc VAT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallText align=middle><SCRIPT language=javascript><!--document.write('
Click to enlarge
');//--></SCRIPT>
Click to enlarge
<NOSCRIPT>
Click to enlarge
</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Cals 2-Speed 4 Way Reel Wrench is a cracking little tool that would be at home in the tool or tackle box of any angler or reel tuner.

It has 3/8", 10mm, 7/16", and 1/2" hex sockets and a special screwdriver head of 1/2" hex with a small screwdriver on one end; this has a clearance hole in the center for the stud to go through. The large end of the screwdriver attachement fits larger slotted nuts and has a bigger clearance hole for more substantial studs.

The wrench is useful for servicing many Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, Avet and Accurate Reels.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>

fknricter

Jun 17, 2008
redlands, ca
Name
mikey rivera
Boat
malibu extreme
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/tools.htm

Call..It's all the way to the bottom of the page
just talked to charkbait, i was the 4th person he had talked to about this thread, the 4way wrench they carry is made by someone else and DOES NOT have the screw adapter that the cal's came with, person at CB told me that Cal didnt have any demand for it, i said he should have made a thread on here about it a long time ago! haha.

just thought id give you guy a heads up before you buy one and find that it doesnt have the avet screw adapter.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Tool is worthless without the screw bit...

Reactions: marlyn

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
005.jpg
I had the same problem so I made one out of a piece of scrap stainless. Here is what it looks like. It works on Avet and Shimano, but is a little too wide for Penn.

Last edited:

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
I don't seem to need a cutout in the middle so I made these out of file handles. I used a dowel to secure the blade in the file handle.
The bit section is stainless steel and it exactly fits the Avet nut slot. They work!

This one was made by a friend; he used a brass ring to secure the blade.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I came up with a large size stubby screwdriver at a pawn shop, then buzzed in a notch with a hacksaw and Dremel, then dressed it up with a file. Very basic stuff, no machine tools required. I like the one made with a scrap of stainless sheet and the nifty wooden handle. With CNC tools today, I bet someone could whip out a couple hundred from hex rod to use in an ordinary nut driver.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
99% of the time you don't need the reel clamp especially for 30#-40#-50#....JMO

MARKEY220

markey220
Sep 10, 2005
me.
Name
marc
Boat
21'proline w/a
Take the wrench that comes with shimano reel, the kind with the screw driver at the end. Grind it down a bit so the end is as wide as your reel set nuts. Hollow grind it a bit to thin it down so it fits the slots, file a recess in the middle if you have interference from the clamp stud. You don't need the shimano tool though, any scrap of steel would work or a cheap larger screwdriver from harbor freight will do. A bench grinder and a small mill bastard and 10 minutes will do it
lou,i made this out of scrap parts in about 10 min.s.looks kinda nasty but works well.

Attachments

redsalmonslayer

Skipper
Apr 3, 2008
Kenai River,Alaska
Name
Thomas Allen
Boat
18ft lowe" Drift Daddy"
Took 3/8'' blade channel lock & craftsmen screwdrivers ,notched them with grinder ; 3/16" out of center ; keep one gave other 3 to my sons;1 in Alaska,1 in St.Thomas,1 in Alameda we have been using them 8 yrs .pretty simple ;have the 4 way for my penns , didn't know about the cal insert would have been handy ; GOOD LUCK :hali_olutta: Alaska Tom

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
I have about 10 AVET reels--and I like them all and have always had great service from them--and I never could understand why AVET has not improved this very frustrating and inconvenient clamp attachment system.
That's the crux of the matter.

Reactions: stairman

Bada Bing

Instigator General
Apr 30, 2003
PB, CA
Name
JMH
Boat
Always a good one
99% of the time you don't need the reel clamp especially for 30#-40#-50#....JMO
for a seatless/deckhand rod you do, as is the case.

Good ideas ya'll, I guess I got me a project for this afternoon :cheers: