Almost A Member
May 23, 2007
san diego
Name
don
Boat
none yet ,soon though
1. What's a good 8 foot rod that would handle a 20+ lb Yellowtail or tuna
would like as universal as possible,but mostly live bait casting.
I heard the Seeker lightning rod is decent.

2. Is the SXJ work well with a top shot? Spool is very narrow.
How much braid is best underneath ?

Upvote 0

DoradoJ

Almost A Member
Jul 6, 2013
Norwalk, CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
La Orizaba
If you want to handle tuna you may want to think about bumping up to a mxj two speed. You can use 50lb braid and vary your topshot of flouro from 20 to 30 lb. This reel will also open up more possibilities as to what rod you can use.

Upvote 0

princefredo

May 23, 2010
Lakewood, Ca
Name
alfredo
Boat
13” Whaler, 6DEUCE (my first ship CV-62)
I have my SXj in an 8' phenix Abyss 15-40lb. I have it loaded with 200yrds of 40lb braid and 20-25lb Topshot. Pulled in a 24lb Yellow at San Clemente last year.
Took a while to get it to the boat. I would have killed it with my SX Raptor though.

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
i have mine loaded up with around 350 yards of 30 lb spectra and i fish it with up to a 30 lb top shot on a 9' phenix abyss 12-30lb
this set up killed 80% of my fish last year with the biggest being a 60 lb bft in 15 to 20 miniutes
but if your going to try and horse a big yellow tail out of some kelp or try and keep it away from structure ( like in inshore fishing ) then i would go with the sx raptor or a regular jx for the extra drag that they have
and to me they abyss rods have a really good bend to them for fishing short top shots

Upvote 0