Avet SX with Majic Cast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by jebson38, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Ocean Prowler Tridenet :)
    Well I just ordered one because I was able to get rid of some other stuff. My sole intention for this reel is surf fishing on the east coast throwing primarily an 8 oz weight and a chunk of bait on a 13ft-13'6ft heaver.
    Those who have cast this reel with the Majic cast, how does it cast? Secondly, whenever I purchase a surf casting reel I want to maximize distance. Therefore I take all the bearings related to the spool spinning faster, soak them in lighter fluid, and then coat with red rocket fluid. This will be my first Avet, so I was wanting to know how hard removing these bearings is going to be?
    Next question, with a Penn 525 Mag, Dawai Saltist 30H, or an Abu 6500 and the 13ft-13'6ft heavers with 8 oz wieght and a chunk of bait we average approx 100-130 yards from the beach. Is this distance with the avet going to be possible?
    Thanks

2. Yerman

Yerman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    None
    Bearing removal is easy. Do a search for the "Avet SX rebuild" by Alan Tani to guide you. Make sure you use compressed air after you soak them in lighter fluid, and let dry for a while before adding your rocket fuel. There is no reason the SX would not be able to cast just as far if not farther than those other reels.

3. mboy

mboy Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    21 CC
    I wouldn't bother adding and rocket fuel or whatever to the bearings until you use it a few times 1st.

Also going to be tough to get reports on magic cast since it just came out and most people are not willing to pay for it because the upcharge is INSANE.

Def try yours out of the box before greasing up the bearings.

4. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    This speeds them up not slows them down. Yeah I was hesitant to spend that kind of cabbage for just an upgrade but had some reels sell so I thought why not. Economy is in great shape :Emoticon_Potty_Time.
    I should get it Monday cast it on a surf set up by Wed and post a report back.

5. PescadorPete

PescadorPete Here, Fishy, Fishy!

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    Hey Jeb. Haven't heard the phrase 'eight and bait' since I moved to CA 10 years ago. Used to live near Green Level which isn't too far from you. I used to do the "Hatteras two step" with a Penn 525 mag. Surf fishing here is a different ball game - usually much lighter tackle. Let us know how the Avet works out.

6. T BICKLE

T BICKLE super cool LA guy

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    16ft ebbtide under construction
    i hear avet is packing tampons with their reels now too for people who dont know how to cast

7. WFO

WFO http://www.newamericancen

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Parker in the future

LOL

I can cast but I still want the reel with the tampons...

You know its the ho inside of me...

Just waiting for avet to wake up and lower the price to something that people are willing to pay.

Because there is a long long line for people waiting for a used one.

8. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Since you are such a bad ass caster come on out to Hatteras and fish how we do? Casting with 20 mph wind dead in your face with and 8 oz pyramid and a chunk of bait that helicopters maybe a little different than what you are doing??? I guess you might not need mags throwing off the front of a boat positioning yourself with the wind! From Cape Point we cant just throw 50 yards and expect to be able to catch a fish!!!!

9. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Yeah my fiance is from Washington so I am afraid I will one day have to become a PAC NW surf fisherman....If they even exist. I have 3 525 Mags that I love, just dont like their drags. Maybe the greatest surf casting reel out there.....Heading there next Friday for a week. Hope to put some big red drum on the beach.

10. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    actually Ive heard Avet is adding Magic hooks that will magically hook fish like the Magic cast magically hooks fisherman to buy. "buy mags instead"

11. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Question. What is your experience in throwing adjustable Magged Reels?

12. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    my buddy bought one, they are great casting reels, just launch and no worries, and fun to fish with. I just dont see paying that extra money for it. I own 4 avets and 2 are magged.

13. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Thats one thing that matters here is being able to adjust your mags based on where the wind is coming from...I agree that the option is not worth $135, but I was able to get rid of some stuff I didnt need anymore...Maybe in impulse buy...We will see! May have it listed in the market place for $250 with in a week...Nothing like a $100 loss due to an impulse buy.

14. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    I hear you on the wind. I am fortunate enough not to fish in windy conditions. When I did though, wow does it make fishing crappy. Nothing like casting out 50 yards and the wind taking it 45 yards the other way.
    well hope it all works out for you and tight lines.

15. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
  16. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I dont know of any person on the west coast that uses a knobby mag reel.

17. jebson38

jebson38 Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Doesnt have to be knobby...A lot of Penns are slideys same with the Abu 6500CT Mag Elites. Here its wierd a lot of people just set the mags on full and cast no matter what the conditions are. Me I play around with it based on wind. Wind dead in my face I am setting the mags full on. Wind at my back barely on..

18. fishman27

fishman27 Newbie

Name:
    Matt Vander Dussen
    Boat:
    19.5 chaparel striker
    i have a SX mc.. havent got to fish with it but i couldnt wait to cast the bugger so i went to the park by my house to try it out.... it casts very very well.. never have to worry about backlashes or anything.. very easy to cast far..

19. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I know what you mean about adjustable mags. I'm barely learning how to cast surface irons and was having a difficult time. I decided to add mags to my reel and they were way too powerful. I could feel the rod loading up during the flight. I went light on the mags and learning how to thumb the spool. I'm slowly tuning the mags down, but it's a long process since i have to open it and close it every time.

Ultimately, I want mags to help a bit and use my thumb to fine control the spool speed. My ear is learning when the spool is too fast or too slow...so it's progress.