Avet SX on deckhand rod (corkpuppy or trigger grip seat)?

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by jplee3, Apr 23, 2018.

1. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey all,

Just curious, for those of you who are matching your SX(es) to a deckhand rod, how are you mounting them? included/default/factory clamp? Cork Puppy? Trigger Grip (like the one sold at Charkbait)?

I was using the clamp that came with mine but don't like how tight I have to screw them down. I had one come loose too years ago when fighting a yellow - that was no fun lol.

I asked Mark @ Charkbait and he said the trigger grip they sell may not be the best fit.

Will the cork puppy be the best bet for this then?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I just have my mxl on the standard clamp and it hasn't moved a inch.

3. BGTfishing

BGTfishing Tanner Bank BFT

Name:
    Byron Tobey
    Boat:
    Hobie
    I use my HXJ raptor on a SS6480xh with the standard clamp without any movement.

4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Cork puppy will be the best bet if it fits around your rod.? Depending on your model they have 25, 28 and 31 mm. I use it all on all my deckhand rods (All UC though) and fish anywhere from 15-20# of drag on my jig sticks and they are rock solid and do not move...

5. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Did you guys reinforce the reel seat area? And if so, with what/how?

6. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a

Thanks - I forgot to mention the rods I have. They're the Seeker American A270H-8 series. I just took a quick/rough measurement and it's around 25mm average across the length of the handle. Maybe 1-2mm short of that where I have mounted the rod in the past. I'm assuming the 25 is the diameter in mm and that's likely the one I'd want to be going with? Thing is, I'm planning to rewrap the cork on my rod in addition to wrapping all of it with heat shrink. Is it better to build up the area where I plan to mount the rod and go with the 28mm for that matter?

BTW: how do you guys decide how high up to position the reel?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  7. BGTfishing

BGTfishing Tanner Bank BFT

Name:
    Byron Tobey
    Boat:
    Hobie
    For my rod, the SS 6480XH, it is a beefy rod and I have not reinforced it. It has X rap on it and some thin shrink-rap in the area the reel is mounted. I put my elbow at the butt of the rod and where my fingers hit the rod is where I mount the reel. That location is subjective, try it at a few locations to see what is most comfortable for you. Have fun, it's going to be a great fishing season.

8. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    I tried the cork puppy and didn’t like it. Solid connection, but the underside hardware was uncomfortable - dug into my fingers when gripping the rod. I like to put a short section of heatshrink (x wrap) over the section where ilocate the reel, then swap out the factory clamp for a Backbone nylon one. It is wider and slightly more compliant, which allows for a tighter fit. Note that depending upon grip diameter you may need slightly longer screws to get enough purchase in the SX lugs...

9. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Where do you buy Backbone nylon clamps from? I plan on putting heatshrink over the cork tape on the entire handle, so I should be good I think. I dunno...maybe an extra few wraps of electric or athletic tape in case I want to pad it really well.

10. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Call Island Fishing Tackle in Carson at 310.707.1205. They have all sizes and colors of the Backbone clamps.

I’ve found that just the single layer of heatshrink provides enough grip to secure the reel without slipping. (Be careful not to over tighten or you might crush the blank - ask me how I know this!)

11. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Seems like you got the answers you needed?

12. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks, I think so!

13. here'smymule

here'smymule Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Rezzato

14. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    I have cork puppy's on both my Cousins deck hand rods. I think you should get your grips sorted then see which one fits best. I just took my rods with me to The Longfin in Orange to check the fit. The proper way to position the reel is to have the rod butt at your right elbow and be able to thumb the spool. The distance is different for each person based on the length of your forearm, that's the whole point of not having a pre-positioned reel seat. It helps to machine off the sharp edges on the cork puppy with a dremel tool.