Avet Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by matt13ar, Mar 29, 2010.

1. matt13ar

matt13ar Newbie

Name:
    Matt Honea
    Boat:
    Someday
    Big 5 has Avet rods on sale for $100 and I am thinking about grabbing a couple. Does anyone have any experience with these rods?
    Thanks

2. ironjoe

ironjoe professional bad ass

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    none
    avet doesnt make rods! they are just licensed by avet! spend your money elsewhere and you will be happier!

3. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    but if you do decide to buy them download the bloody decks big5 coupon and save 20%!

4. watch-n-learn

watch-n-learn Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    26ft Osprey Pilothouse
    Not made by avet, but I still think they are nice rods. Get ready to get made fun of on the sporties though:(

5. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    If he pays $80 for it and it turns a few nice fish who gives a damn what someone else says about the rod or reel?:nutkick:

Something tells me the guys who would be making fun of him (1) don't know his personal circumstances and (2) won't be buying gear for him.

I'm blessed to be able to drop nice $$ on gear. Others may not be so fortunate...

rduran1131 likes this.
  6. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Cheap chinese crap. Buy Turners Californians. Cheaper and you get an OTC warranty.

7. screaming_spool

screaming_spool Member

Name:
    fisherman
    Boat:
    What

agreed for the price the californians are pretty good

8. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    OK,lets clear some things about rod construction.Virtually ALL S/W rods EXCEPT for Calstar and I believe Seeker blanks are made offshore.Virtually ALL ring guides and reel seats EXCEPT for Aftco are made offshore.If the Turner rods are not Seekers or Calstars they are offshore like our Sabres and Avets.Our Sabre rods for the money are as good as ANYTHING out there,our Avet rods are BETTER than most of the rods out there that are made offshore.We never have or will compare them to blanks rolled in the US of which there almost none left.Tom

9. CELTPADDY

CELTPADDY Newbie

Name:
    robert knight
    Boat:
    stolen
    pick it up, If it feels good,wraped right,hell for 80$,no brainer.Its not tool,Its the mechanic.

10. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Good point Tom. I have fished the Sabres in my early days and liked em'. I even tell all my newb friends to buy them. I've had several shipped to our local AZ store over the past few weeks. At the sale prices of 50 bucks they are a no brainer. However never liked those AVET rods. Maybe it's the extra 30 bucks but I would take a Sabre over the AVET rod any day!

11. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well, A friend of mine had a problem with the tip top guide on an avet rod
    it didnt handle braid line too well got some deep marks that ended cutting the braid line in every fish fight until we noticed that the problem was the tiptop guide.

hope this helps in your desition.

this have never happen in a sabre rod

12. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Mono will eventually grove your guides as well. If you fish enough and catch big enough fish your equipment will eventaully wear. Buy what you can afford. You don't need a $200-$300 rod to catch fish. Avet rods or a used rod will work as well if not better than the expensive ones.

13. Birds Nest

Birds Nest Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    ?
    check your local tackle shop i have mostly bought used as i cannot afford new. had mostly good luck.

14. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Avet rods have S.I.C. guides and tops,should not damage braid.Would love to see the tip.PM me with info please.Tom

15. Vinny1

Vinny1 Newbie

Name:
    Vinny
    Boat:
    OK Zest Two
    The wraps on the avet rods have almost identical patterns to some of the sabres and sabre pacificas at Big 5. The blank seems better on the Avets, but seem to be made by the same manufacturer as Sabre, probably in China. That being said, those Accurate Xnergy rods are made in China too. I gave up 2nd rate rods after I snapped a Fenwick and a Kencor back to back kelp bed fishing in La Jolla. And I snapped a Kencor panga rod in 2 givin it a yank at Sport Chalet.

Go to the classifieds & buy a used Calstar or Seeker for $80. I have about 6 Grafighters & bought em all used, nearly all of em from $80 to $130.

16. Vinny1

Vinny1 Newbie

Name:
    Vinny
    Boat:
    OK Zest Two
    The wraps on the avet rods have almost identical patterns to some of the sabres and sabre pacificas at Big 5. The blank seems better on the Avets, but seem to be made by the same manufacturer as Sabre, probably in China. That being said, those Accurate Xnergy rods are made in China too. I gave up 2nd rate rods after I snapped a Fenwick and a Kencor back to back kelp bed fishing in La Jolla. And I snapped a Kencor panga rod in 2 givin it a yank at Sport Chalet.

Go to the classifieds & buy a used Calstar or Seeker for $80. I have about 6 Grafighters & bought em all used, nearly all of em from $80 to $130.

17. fknricter

fknricter Newbie

Name:
    mikey rivera
    Boat:
    malibu extreme
    may be off subject, but i think the blanks are imported from a company call Oceaner, they had a booth at LB fred hall last year, and he said it was the same graphite blank, i bought a combo off a buddy with an oceaner inshore rod and LOVE it, i pulled on one the heavier blanks and it seemed tough as nails and very light... .02
    i personally have the one with the diamond grip and its bad ass. their site blows tho....
    <TITLE>Oceaner 5 Ball Bearing