Avet Reels Vs Giant Bluefin Tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by matrixx611, May 31, 2013.

1. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I dont think the Trx is necessary. I dont think you need the wide either. The regular will hold plenty of line if you fish a shorter topshot.

ifish42na likes this.
  2. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    80 narrow is the ideal reel for standup giant fishing, I've tried the 50TRX and it worked, but the 80 is clearly superior. 200lb hollow spectra and a 100-foot 200lb topshot, strap on your harness and you're set. No rails to rely on in PEI.

Bill W and Tim Turis like this.
  3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Would like to see Okuma developed a 80 narrow Makaira. Not only for East coast big tuna, but long range West coast markets.

4. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Don't know about the T-REX but the 80W is available in 3-speed. I have one that I use for the kite and it is a monster, gotta use a harness.

5. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    I will mainly be using these on bent butt rods. We use a 130 butt with a long 80 blank in the northeast. I am thinking 80 wides are the way I'm going to go. 80 narrow sounds great but I would hate to hook into "the one" and lose it because I went down a size.

6. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    That is a rod holder rod. Just put a 130 Alutecnos on it. 1200yds of 200 and call it a wrap. You can decrease the drag based on leader size.

Not many fish in the bay or Georges are going to beat you with that set up. If its an RT80 blank nice soft tip as well.

If you want to stand up - the Avet 80 regular is the reel,

7. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    Trying not to go up to the 130 size. The old style of doing things was to put 400 yards of 200lb dacron with a 200lb 200 yd topshot of mono. I am trying to lighten things up on my smaller 25' pursuit by going down to an 80 sized reel and putting between 600-800 yds of 200lb JB hollow and a 100 yd 200lb mono topshot which an 80w sized avet should hold. I have fished 130's a bunch it just seems with the new lines that are out, I shouldn't need the extra capacity. I will still be using the big bent butt rods but it will be a more versatile set up and would still be fun on sharks and smaller tuna. Basically im thinking of getting rid of my big reels(senators and penn 130's) and my small reels (30's and 50's) to consolidate to one set of all around rods. I am going to keep a set of stand up rods to put the 80's on if a guest wants to go stand up harness style or maybe the occasional canyons trip.

8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    It's funny to hear you refer to 30 and 50 size reels as small. Guess everything is relative. I guess when you're in the rod holder fishing those massive amounts of drag, 200 lb spectra and topshots are needed? John, do you ever fish 130 lb spectra for the giants?

9. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    Well I do have some light tackle(jig and pop gear) that I use to target tuna that I really like so I have found myself not using my 30's and 50's very much. Obviously I don't want to target big fish on spinning gear so that's were the 80's come in. Basically by using good thin diameter hollow core, I am able to downsize my 30's and 50's to spinning rods and conventional jigging rods as well as downsize my giant gear from 130's to 80's. Lighter gear=more fun.

10. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    I am not totally sold on the need to use 200lb braid. I would like any input on that as well. Although it is plenty thin enough to get tons on the reel so maybe better safe than sorry.

11. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Things to think about are what drag pounds at an empty spool, then a full spool. Also as your line is going out, more pressure comes from having all that line out, with the line belly and the boat chasing down the fish. 50# of drag can make 200# spectra a good choice.

(But I never caught a giant)

12. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Bingo! You cant break the 130 until the catenary of the line in the water creates additional drag. Have 1/2 the spool in the water, the boat, the drag and the fish pulling on it. Out of the rod holder the pressures are huge.

The beauty of the small boat is that is pulls through the water real easy. My 38' Downeast pushes real easy and it helps us land fish IMO.

Steve - We have fished 130 on some 80 narrow Penn reels. No longer do that. If we are fishing for GBFT its 200# out of the rod holder.

Stand up fishing - I just sold a customer a set of Baja Boomers on #4 Winthrop Adjust a butts with 50WTrx. Customer uses them in PEI and fishing out of Green Harbor. No rod holder all harness fishing. He is using 130 spectra on the reels with the drags dialed back.

The beauty of fishing is there are many ways to accomplish your goals. No wrong or right answer.

13. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    Well you want good grip shoes .
    I'd go for the chair if it's raining.