Avet Reels Vs Giant Bluefin Tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by matrixx611, May 31, 2013.

1. matrixx611

matrixx611 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
  2. rain man

rain man Newbie

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Rain Man
    FWIW I've caught 23 giants in PEI on my T-Rex 50w. I fish 65lb drag on strike and around 75-80 on full. Fish up to 950lbs. The freespool sucks, but up there it doesn't matter

3. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    What a kick!

4. capnjackv

capnjackv Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Viking 57,Hatteras 52, Viking 65, Proline 27

Boy!Thats a lot of drag. Have a client with an Avet 80 and he only fishes 30lbs at stike and around 40 at full on makos of the same size class. I cant usually get him to go to full. Dont see how you stay in the boat.

5. rain man

rain man Newbie

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Rain Man

People are always shocked wwith a certain level of disbelief when we talk about how we fish up there. Like anything, it is mroe about technique than brute strength. Dennis Braid's video "standup to a giant" has a good section on harness technique and mechanics that helped tremendously. He talks about putting your whole body into it and "bending at the ankles" with unlimited class standup tackle. Here is a pic of me and then my buddy Justin with that level of drag on fish of 700 and 900lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are very few reels that can consistently put out that kind of drag. I have blown up a couple Penn 50 VSW's and 80's up there. The shifting mechanism gives out stripping gears with that kind of drag. I fish with Tightline Tours up there just like CJ from the video above. They have since gotten a few 50W T-rex for that fishery. I am lucky to be a relatively easy 18 hour drive from North Lake PEI and try to get up there 2 weekends every september.

6. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    Very cool. I am a northeast tuna fisherman out of MA. I fish for giants and am seriously considering these reels. How have they held up long term? How much 200 lb hollow core can you get on a 50? They now make an 80trx which doesn't cost a whole lot more than the 50. Would that line capacity even be necessary or would I just be blowing the bank on a mile of 200lb? I run charters as well so I like the smaller size of these reels as to be used for stand up on sharks as well.

7. usraptr

usraptr Member

Name:
    Brad Merritt
    Boat:
    Cheap Thrills
    Just caught a PB YF Tuna of 247lbs on the EXCEL with an AVET 30. It performed flawlessly. That said, a buddy of mine had just bough a 50 Wide three speed and it was broken out of the box. I know a couple of others who have had the same problem with new AVET reels so make sure you check it BEFORE your trip. Personally, most of my reels are AVETS and I've never had a failure. Love the drags and casting. Plan on buying a three speed for a 17 day trip in 2017.

8. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I am from the East Coast. We use the Avet 80's on giants all the time. No need for the Trex 80. The 80 regular will work just fine.

It will hold 600yds of 200# Spectra with a 175-200 yd topshot of 200 mono.

The Trex 50 will work good on the bigger fish as well. But, the 80 has more low end torque and a longer handle then the 50.

9. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    I put the 80 handles on my all my T-RX's ...still waiting for the 3 speeds (WTF!)

Brno375 likes this.
  10. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Garry - Not sure where they are lol!

For me on really big fish its always about line capacity. The 80 regular has more than enough drag to stop the biggest fish and it still has more torque then the 50 Trx.

11. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    To me, capacity is a component, as are drag, gearing, line test, hook size, rod characteristics, weather conditions, expertise and physical condition. As for the torque, given that they're both 1:3 low, a 50 with an 80 handle would seem to have the advantage with a lower inches per turn than an 80. No?

12. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Garry - its about the gears not the lines per inch on the spool turn.

Smaller gear on the input shaft driving a larger gear on the output shaft will produce more torque.

Bill W likes this.
  13. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    Do you think the 80trx is necessary for the cape cod bay 1000lb giants? Have you had any close calls on truly big fish with the 80EXW? Would the 80trx have the longer handle than the 50trx? Effectively adding more drag and more torque? Also is the 80 small enough to swap from gunel rods to stand up rods for different times of the year?

14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I dont think you need the Trx. Its about line capacity, sufficient drag and a rod that has a softer tip.

Go start putting 70-80 pounds of drag on a good one and you will pull hooks and break connections.

If you are targeting granders - Alutecnos 130's with 1200 yards of 200# spectra is the ticket.

The longer handle is not going to give you additional torque, it will let you turn the handle on higher drags.

You can use the 80's on stand up rods. If you want to fish stand up the Trx 50 is the better choice.

You are fising on a small boat. The boat is your friend. It gives you drag your reel never could. And, its flexible for you to run down any fish.

It comes down to are you fishing commercially or recreational? Once that questioned is answered you can chose what gear will fit your needs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  15. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    I definitely appreciate your input. It's tough because I'm looking for a set of reels that can do double duty on charters and commercial.

16. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    That is a common problem we deal with at the shop. The mixed use Charter/Headboat permit creates the problem.

If you are doing more charters than commercial fishing and its sport fishing the Trx 50 is the way to go. Pair them up with a UC CX40X0 or Baja Boomer and you are good to go.

Rod holder fishing - Avet 80's - Calstar RT80 blank. We are experimenting with the UC 76 Gladiator and converting it from a rail rod application to a rod holder.

Good problems to have!

skotz likes this.
  17. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Absolutely, the difference between a 30 versus a 50 and then a 50 to a 80. Much more in it to line inches per crank.

Most efficient is how tall the spool is, then how big the gears are.

JohnTFT likes this.
  18. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Bill,

Good to see you back here posting. Much appreciated.

For me the Avet 80 regular is the reel. Tall spool and the right gears. The reel is a beast.

The downside is the drag curve is extreme. Its like zero to one hundred in a nanosecond!

I have 4 commercial customers that fish this reel in Cape Cod Bay and do damage with it.

MHD TUNA and Bill W like this.
  19. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Bill,

Good to see you back here posting. Much appreciated.

For me the Avet 80 regular is the reel. Tall spool and the right gears. The reel is a beast.

The downside is the drag curve is extreme. Its like zero to one hundred in a nanosecond!

I have 4 commercial customers that fish this reel in Cape Cod Bay and do damage with it.

20. MHD TUNA

MHD TUNA Newbie

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    2470 pursuit
    So the 80trx would be unnecessary?