Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
COMPLETED

Hi Guys,

Well another year goes by and another trip in the books. I've been fishing Rick Ozaki's charter now for 7 years... My buddy Max who I got into LR fishing has now been on 4 of these 16 dayer and now considered a LR veteran.

I guess the part of the excitement is preparing for the trip and packing the tackle and making sure all your gear are up to spec. Giant YFT fishing is unforgiving and everything needs to work as designed. Packing things and hope you didn't forget anything. Of a funny note, as I was packing up, there was a iPhone charging cord on the floor. I was thinking of putting that into the bag, but then decided I already had one, I wouldn't need a redundant one. Well, my iPhone cable goes bad on like the 3rd night. Good thing "Doc" John had a spare cable to loan me.

We load up the wife's van with my tackle and Max's tackle the day before we head down to SD. Next morning, I go and pick Max up in Culver City. One of the great things about Rick's charter is that we get to stay on the boat the night before. We head down and was at the docks by 1pm and people were already inline with their carts full of gear.

Usual charter members like Louie Louie, Jim Evans, Jim Issac, Marty, Victor Long, Bruce (back from a break of few years), Ken "Captain" Buzzell, Phil Nashida, Frank Bartel, Dane, Paul the long shore-man (there were multiple Pauls), Rocky and Rick of course. Paul Rubio showed up later with the booze and his stuff.

Then new members of the charter. Jerry, Sharon, Mike Noblett, Jeff from Vegas, Richard my roomie and one of the Paul from norcal. Jerry and Sharon showed up the next morning and we helped them load up.

Judy shows up around 430pm and then we make the usual line to pay up and then we started to head to the boat to load up. I don't know how it happened, but Max was paying and I was pushing the cart down to the boat and loading all his and my gear and all the beer and booze onto the back deck of the boat. I need to get my revenge on him....

I go head to the room and grab my gear and take it to my stateroom. Put my shit away and meet Richard, he said this was his first 16 dayer and he was very excited.

Dinner on the day of loading is usually Miguel's for Mexican food. Rick had packed a whole bunch of sub sandwiches and me and Max just ate those and drank beer and smoked cigars on the deck... Some of my favorite things to do. Drinks, cigar and peace on the deck of the Indy.

Next morning I was up a 5am ready to go get some breakfast and Rick said that Jerry and Sharon are here and they needed help loading. I followed along and meet both of them and loaded their gear to the boat.

After that it was walk to the burrito shop on Rosecrans, I'm sure everyone knows where it is. We picked up our burritos and walked back to the boat and ready for the boat to cast off at 8am.

The bait for the trip was a mix of small to medium size bait and one slammer full of nice size deans. Captain Billy told us that the bait we have was the best he has seen this season. More on bait later.

The Crew. Captain Matt Kaullen. Captain Paul Medina (Cigar Connoisseur). Captain Oscar. Captain Billy (Oil Tanker Qualified). Captain Ben. Captain Roman (Bull Dog Puppies coming). Chef Ed and Rollo in the Galley.

We start the travel down the 4 days to the fishing grounds. Didn't know where we were going, but RP was at Hurricane and was doing ok. Clarion, no one has been there in a while and last time only had small fish and sharks.

What I tell people that want to do these trips is, the fishing isn't the hard part. The hard part are the travel down and up. Travel down is usually ok for most because the anticipation of fishing. Travel up now is a different story, party is over and back to reality at a very slow pace....

So there were some first time guys doing trips in the 16 day range. Let me share with those that are considering these kind of trips what to really expect.

1. First off, travel days can become a bear. Again traveling down is not too bad as you are excited to the prospect of catching fish. Now come the travel back up, if you had a great trip the travel up can be ok. But if you had a so so trip, that 4 days up can just exasperate the bad time you had at fishing and drive you to depression.

2. Not everyone catches fish or even gets a bite every day. If you look at all of these LR trip counts and reports, it makes it sound like it's wide open, it's like 30 or so fish on the day. The really is that the top 5% of the anglers will probably catch 25 to 40 % of all those fish. That leaves like the rest for everyone else, which means that not everyone will catch a fish every day. Heck, some won't even have a bait pickup or bait run scared. Be ready new times, it's not wide open by any means. Be ready to go days without even a bite. One of the hottest stick I know told me one time he didn't have a bite for 5 days. 5 days. Be prepared for the depression that sets in.

3. Be ready for rail time. The guys I know that catch most of the fish, they spend from morning 4am to dusk to get their fishes. I would say if you expect to come out when you want and catch your fish at just the right time, all I can say is good luck to you. Again going back to #2. 30 fish day, they are not all blocked off to prime time. Those were caught from guys standing there all day long.

4. Don't be set in your ways. Be ready to try different things. Every trip is different, it can be your trip from last year or it can be the trip from the one before. Conditions change constantly, what was working the last trip from the reports, maybe not working. Be ready to adapt to the situation and change methods. Try sinkers. Try flylining. Try long topshots. Try short topshots. If what you are doing isn't getting bit, change it up. Find something that works. Believe it or not, that is part of the fun. Solve the puzzle to figure out what the fish wants.

5. Be mature and civil and be on your best behavior. I can tell everyone at work or on land, I can be one of the biggest pain in the ass in the world. But you know, on these trips people are on vacation like yourself. Try to be on your best behavior for the 16 or so days if you can. I get it some ppl can not stop being the big A hole they are. But try to be on our best behavior for those 16 days. Be the best person you can possibly be and when you get back on land, be the big jerk that you are. I really mean this. Some people I fish with, I guess they forget this aspect. I would estimate most anglers on these trips are in their 50's. But I would have to guess that with LR fishing they digress in their behavior to be juvenile. That's why I still call LR fishing, Summer Camp for Seniors. :D

Ok, off my soap box now.

Rick Ozaki's Give Aways and Raffles. On the way down, we have the give aways and raffles. One thing about Rick's charter is that he always has the best giveaways and raffles. Can't thank Rick for his generosity for these and other things he shares on the trip.

For the give aways, each of us got: 2 t-shirt, 3 raider jigs, Seaguar 130 fluorocarbon, 2 sabiki for bait making, 2 hats.

For the raffles: Avet reels like 8 of them, Nice Wahoo 8 foot Graphtec Rods, Avet Reel Bags, Fisherman processing gift certificate and other goodies. Everyone won something cool.

On the way to Hurricane Banks.
After the prepping, drag setting, leader making and drinking and joking. Over time, the reports from the RP was they left HB to check out Clarion and found small fish and sharks. So we would be at HB with no boat having been there in like 3 to 4 days, were we excited with anticipation. With no other boats heading down for the duration of our trip, HB all to ourselves could be fantastic.

BAIT Maintenance. Captain Matt and the crew made sure that the bait were good and they were constantly feeding them. One time we caught a small skippie on the troll. The crew pounded the flesh and squeezed into the bait tank. We had a tank of Mackerel also and they were trained so that when they saw you, they would come up looking for food. I have to give it to the crew for making sure that the bait we had was in the best condition possible.

We were set to be at HB the next day around 1:30pm and after lunch people were getting anxious and looking forward and then we saw something that on one wanted to see in the distance. The horror we saw was 4 seiners. 4 of them covering the HB. One boat was coming our way heading for port and the crew waved to us, probably to say we caught all the fish, good luck. That meant there were 3 seiners there working. As we get near and troll around, we can see that the seiners have marked all the high spot with their flags. Some wahoo were caught on the troll and then Captain Matt eventually set down the anchor and we started to fish.

Kite is going off. Even with the 3 seiners working the bank, once at the anchor, we set off the squid that Rick Ozaki purchases for our trip and the kite is going off well. I believe we caught like 22 fish that afternoon and most were off the kite. We thought if we can keep this up through out the trip, it would be a pretty good trip. Bait fish were caught by Dane, Rubio, Myself and some others. But most were kite fish. Some good grade of fish too, some cows on the kite and bait. Hopes were high for the following days.

Current and the lack there of. One thing about our entire time at HB was the current. There were times the current was so light that you could barely get a bait out. At times, their was no current that you could hit the bottom with a 4 oz sinker in like 600 ft of water.

One of the tips is how to hook your bait to get it out. Sometimes you can shoulder hook them to get them out, butt hook them to pull away from the boat, nose hook them. You had to see how the bait was going to swim.

Another thing about the lack of current is we would do some wild boat swinging. At times we would all be fishing the port side of the boat and about 15 minutes later, we were fishing the starboard side. Even thought the seiners were not wanted, their high spot flags was a great reference point. The bait no matter which way the boat was swinging were generally going toward the high spot.

Second Day of HB. You have to excuse my memory as the days were becoming a blur. But second day, with the good kite fishing from the day before, we had very high hopes for a good morning bite. Of course the morning, people were doing the jigging and the skippies were around and some people like myself was doing the skippie thing. Jigging works great, awesome cardio and great morning work out, but it is very tiring. Skippies were around and if you're an expert like Rick Ozaki, you catch a nice tuna in the morning with it. I had mine come back with all the teeth mark.

Oh note, my experiment with big circle hooks on the skippies didn't work. Going back to Big J Hooks again.

As the dawn approached we were all in high hope of the kite going off strong again, but that didn't happen. We started to pick away some fish on the kite later in the morning, back to the swinging back and forth and fly lining picking away at the fish. I think we did get some cows, I believe Bruce got his cow this morning and his cousin Don Sogioka got a 234#. My room mate got one a cow on the kite, I maybe wrong, but it was at hurricane banks one of those days.

One special thing that happened was the wahoo at HB were biting and they were FAT. Troll around and we would get singles, doubles, triples and a few jig fish afterwards. I have to say the wahoo fishing at HB was some of the best I've seen down there. The JP for wahoo was 44+lbs.

Captain Matt would break up the afternoon lull with a troll around the banks and, again with the seiners high spot markers, we could tell when we could likely get bit. Worked every time.

Jerry of JRI lures loan me one of his original Intruders. The lure was handed to me by Ken Bushman and he received it from another angler on another trip and probably from another angler. That lure has been on multiple trips this year. All Jerry said to me was, please please please please please do not lose the lure, it's one of the few remaining ones in existence.

The lure went into the troll rotation 6 times and 4 of the times it was bit and caught a wahoo. Jerry is working on making them and they will be out soon. Also I'm trying to hook Jerry up with Rick Ozaki West Coast Marketing. That lure can be all over the US soon. :)

Third and Forth Day and remaining days at HB.

So it's all a blur of being at HB, the fish didn't make those epic morning run into the bank at night or the early morning either. It was plucking away on long days at the rail. We saw cows and fish, but there were no pattern to it. We fished live fliers on the kite and they wouldn't get a sniff.

Something of note is Victor Long our drinking buddy. Victor is one of those down to earth guys, he's a pipe fitter. He's one of those us against them kind of guy, good thing he included myself and Max as US. We would drink shit load of beer and drink vodka, scotch, tequila and rum. Victor is also one of those dude that was the jock in high school and the prom king and all that. So my running joke with him was, did you beat up on the dungeons and dragon club guys or the chess club geeks? :D He would just laugh at me. Victor scored a jig fish few of the mornings at HB. He can wind like crazy... Even with a mean hangover.

Another person is Dane. Dane has to be one of the best consistent observant fisherman I've ever fished with. I have a saying, if Dane isn't getting bit, there are no fish to be caught. I don't know about you, but when I fish I kind of zone out and my mind goes blank. I mean I try not to get into tangles and make sure my bait is running out, but my mind does kind of go blank. Talking with Dane on these trips, I didn't realize how observant he was. We were talking about how the boat was swinging and all and he made a comment to me that you see that spot over there were every now and then the white water would break. He said that every time he got his bait to way out there around there, he would get bit. I didn't even realize anyone was that observant.

Rocky who does reel repair and reel hot rodding, had a Avet SX with 80lb line and heavy drag. We had fish boil on our chum, but not take a flylined bait. So Dane takes Rocky's SX and cast to where the chum were being thrown. He gets bite and the line is peeling off the SX like crazy and starts to call for a backup. Then before they could put the back up on, he was able to stop the fish and gain line. After about an hour, he brought a 120 or so pounder on the Avet SX. Funniest shit ever.

Captain Ken Buzzell. Ken is one of those guys who you have to get to know. Ken was a Captain in the LA fire department and now retired. He can be very serious, but if you talk to him a bit he has a sense of humor. I always make the point of how he makes more money retired then when he was working. All he does is smile at me. Ken also got a nice cow on the jig.

Paul the long shore man. There were like 4 Pauls' on the boat, it was confusing. So I call this Paul the long shore man. So Paul comes to me and shows me his Penn Torque 40N LD reel and said that he can only get 8lbs of drag without freespool. So I thought he would just put the reel away. Nope. He goes fishes it on a old school glass cork tape rod and goes to hook a 180+ lber on there. After hooking the fish, Paul and Captain Oscar goes straight to the bow. Oscar's comment was, "I am going to earn my money today". Paul is fighting the fish and you can imagine with the drag needed to stop a 180 lbs fish, the reel clamped on the cork is chewing the cork UP. One of the crew member was trying to tighten the clamp on the reel while Paul was fighting the fish. After a long battle, might have been hours, they finally spliced the line to a 50 size reel to bring the fish in.

There used to be a saying, friends don't let friends fish 80 at HB. Well, the new saying is friends don't let friends fish with small reels. It can be done, but expect a long fight...

Something BIG and Fast. I missed this part and it was some cheap trills. In anticipation for the next morning of jigging, after dinner I tied my JRI 8 (PL 68 equivalent) on my Avet 50 SDS 3 speed on my Axis 720 4X and let the jig drop. I was just trying to make sure the line wasn't screwed up deeper and as the lure drops all of a sudden it takes off like a bat on fire. I started on the starboard stern and immediately ran up to the bow thinking about the line cutting the anchor off. The crew were eating dinner in the galley and I asked for help so Captain Paul and Roman came out. By the time I was at the bow, the reel had dumped 700+ yards of 130 spectra with 36lbs of drag at strike in less then a minute. Paul goes to me, we've never thrown a backup in the middle of the night as he has Roman hand the back up rig to him. But just as we were about to throw it over, my line got buried in the arbor about 20 wraps left and something let go. Pulled hook? Leader break? Nope, after me winding 800 yards of line on the reel manually, what broke was the cats paw. My main spectra is Seaguar Threadlock and my loop the loop leader spectra is JB. The JB 130 broke. My 130 Yozuri mono held, my reverse trilene held knot, my three turn cats paw broke. Cheap trill and an end to an exciting evening.

Paul said it was probably a tiger shark. I think it was a swordfish. :D

Rocky to the rescue. One of the things after my failed swordfish was that the Avet SDS got hotttttt. I mean can't touch the reel hot... After that run, my SDS had no free spool and I was pretty sure my drags were burnt. I work on my own reel most of the time, but since Rocky is an reel expert, I asked him to look at the reel. He took it apart next morning and fixed my reel. For guys that have opened up Avet SDS, the drag plate has 2 sets of posts. One high set and a lower set. I always read that to use the high post when the reel is new, but I guess Rocky said I needed to user the lower post so I can have more drag with freespool.

I can't thank Rocky enough and it's a pleasure to have Rocky on the trip. He worked on my reel and many of the reels of other passengers during the trip. Rocky has a reel repair and hot rodding business and I'm going to make him a website when he's ready. Right now all his business is word of mouth and his business is good.

Bruce and Don. You know at times, people just piss you off. They do something which just pushes your button. Well one day, someone just made me go over the edge and I have to thank Bruce and Don Sogioka to calm me down. it was nice seeing Bruce again after a few years of him being off the trip. And Don, first time fishing with him is a retired school teacher. So, I'm sure he was used to juvenile behavior. :D

End of HB and Move to Clarion. We wake up one morning on the last day of Clarion and the one remaining seiner were there. We have no current, no sign of fish, no morning bite, just nothing... We watch as the day before the seiner makes a set less then 500 yards from us and watch as they have empty nets. At that point, even they give up and pick up their stakes and leave. We were alone at the banks. Next morning. No current, no sign of fish, nothing. Captain Matt takes on a tour of the bank and we catch more wahoo and makes the call to go to Clarion.

The wahoo fishing was probably the best part of the trip for me. We had 100 wahoos at HB. I've seen more wahoos at Clarion, but for HB 100 wahoo is pretty darn good.

So we take off for Clarion and will be there around 6am. We take off around noon and boy, I really needed the break and the recovery.

Clarion and the Foamer

We got into Clarion a bit late to make bait so, we are looking for fish. We cruise all around the island to look for where the fish are settled. The Mexican Navy said that they were busy that day and to check in tomorrow morning at 9am.

After cruising around and finding a few wahoo and after a tour of the island, we end up on the south side and find a school of willing biters. Tuna were 40-70 and they wanted to bite. We had a wide open bite and mayhem on fish, everyone was bit and following fish everywhere. Captain Matt and his crew did a wonderful job of making sure everyone got their fish. We totalled 100+ of those fish and I would say that probably made some people's trip. Max got like 3 back to back to back on a Andros 12IISa and he had fun.

Things were so hectic that Chef Ed was on the bait tank without sunblock throwing bait. It was great fun for everyone.

Lady on the boat. On our trip was Sharon Asato representing the great state of Hawaii, she was on her first 16 day trip with her boy friend Jerry. She was hard core and on the rail more than many of the men. Sharon would be there 4am fishing the skippies and jigging and would fish really hard. She was also super nice and easy to talk to. I couldn't be more impressed with her fishing.

So back to Clarion, as they were throwing the bait and you can see the smaller fish boil. Learning from Dane, I noticed and observed and saw bigger fish kind of roll way out on the edges, so I knew there were bigger bait out there.

Coming back to Sharon, she was on the kite and she hooked a nicer one than the schoolies and was at the bow for about an hour. Sharon came back with her first cow.

First trip, first cow, I couldn't be more happier for Sharon. Oh did I mention that the cow probably out weighed her two to one? Congrats to her.

Rocky and Marty on Nicer Fish The exception to the schoolies were Rocky Rocci and Marty got some nicer fish. Marty who used to work king crabs in Alaska got a nice 170 lber, beautiful fish. And Rocky got a nice one too. They pulled those two out of the schoolies and like I thought, if you can get past the schoolies the bigger ones were on the edges.

Tubes and next few days. We tried to make bait the first night there and they were not biting. So the crew would try on their watch and wake us if if they start to go wide open. Good thing that never happened. Next day we searched the island for the school of fish and they had moved to the north side of the island so, it was sinker time and more of the 40-70 fish. Not as many as the day before, but there were there on the drift. We went back to the south side in hope of another ripper bite like the day before, but sadly that did not transpire. We still had many bites and lots of fun. After dinner we tried to make bait and they didn't happen. But Captain Paul on his watch had them coming up, so we got the 3am call to come on out. We ended up catching them ok then the rest of the day for our last day of fishing.

Last ripper and travel up. So this was our last day and we had to leave around 9am for home. But Captain Matt was trying really hard and didn't quit, we trolled around the island looking for fish. We kept trolling and not that many wahoo. Just a big tour of the island, then Matt finds the fish off the North east corner. We hear brail the bait and end up a drift with the schoolie fish again. It was again mayhem. Everyone hooked up, people running all over the place. Crew gaffing fish and getting people around the anchor. Getting people out of tangle. Everyone had a fish and a bite and it was a great way to end the trip.

Last year it was a ripper on wahoo after dumping the bait tank. This year, ripper on smaller tuna. Matt does it again.

The Crew.

I can't say enough good things to say about the crew. Without them, we wouldn't be able to bring in most if not all the fish. Lots of credit has to go to them.

Captain Matt tries really hard to find fish and does. He makes the right call at the right time and did a fantastic job. This is my second 16 dayer with him as a captain and I had another great time.

Captain Oscar. Oscar is very knowledgeable and works real hard. He's not the most talkative type, but if you were on big fish, you would want Oscar next to you I bought a leather sheath with the tuna spike "Angel of Death". I told Oscar, I will wear it when I am worthy of it. Maybe wear it on a rock fishing trip and spike those. :D

Captain Medina. Paul is one of the hardest worker on the boat. He would check on the bait, check the slammer, the RSW etc. He was always working. Paul also loved to smoke cigars, so Rick gave him some Cubans and I gave him some Non-Cubans. Him, Max and I spent time on the top deck smoking stoggies and talking about local fishing.

Captain Billy. Billy was great too. Billy had his captain's license qualified to drive oil tankers. Once I found out, I asked him about driving those big oil tankers and we talked about Exxon Valdez and how that could happen. We also talked about trolling off one of those big ships on their long cruise. Dorado, wahoo and other fish. Interesting fishing.

Captain Ben. I was calling Ben, Big Ben. Strong dude and he could just gaff fish himself. He was really helpful and would do some great jobs on some of my spectra tangles.

Captain Roman. Roman is one of my favorite crew member. He's one of the happiest person I know and keeps people smiling. On one of our travel days, Max told Roman that he wasn't buzzed. So Roman goes to the galley to get us a few Tecate and proceeded to have us shot gun the beer. Roman didn't do it right, so after our first failed attempt, he got us another set and we did it again. Roman has a bull dog and is expecting puppies. So really nice expensive ones.

Chef Ed. Ed made some awesome dishes and I am still stuffed thinking of some of our meals. He made sure everyone ate, even after the last call was over. Also dealing with the half orders. He made one lasagna, hamberger, prime rib etc etc. I am going to miss eating.

Rollo. Rollo helping Ed was fantastic too. Always getting you what ever you needed and helping Ed out.

Travel up and late coming home. The travel up weather was kind of up with the storms up north. Worse thing was the heavy current going up hill. This is where the current we needed at HB was. A few of they days, we were making 6.5 knots coming home. To say the least, we showed up at the docks at 1:30pm for the offloading.

Good thing about offloading that late is that, we didn't have to wake up at 3am to get our stuff ready. We had breakfast and even lunch etc. I could get used to offloading later in the day.

Summary. Well, every trip is different and this trip was different. Fishing conditions were different, fish were definitely there and cows were boated by the lucky people. We had to work with the slow or lack of current and do whatever to get bit. Meeting the old charter members again was great, meeting the new comers were great too.

Myself and Max had a great time regardless and can't wait till next year.

Notes to self for next year. Bring more premade margarita bottles. More tequila. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
That is some Excellent ,Perfect advice Min and I agree on all five of your points and that should be a great 5 commandments for LR fishing. Need five more now :)

My take on your 5 points:

1- Ride down is good =anticipation , Ride Back- blows mostly , I think all the boats should do flybacks . So much better....Brunch in Cabo , hanging around, easy flight back I love that.
2- My Buddy didnt get one bite for 9.5 days at Hurricane(except Kite) in Feb.. 5-10% of the anglers do catch about half the fish at times. Be prepared and be ready to change.
3- Rail time is everything. You can sleep when you are dead. How often are you going to be down in COW Town? Go to sleep at 8-830 and wake up at 2.30- 3 am = still plenty of sleep time - 6 hrs. And you are ready for prime time all the time.
4- Always be ready to change, always try something else , always ask , always look who is getting the bites and how? If no one is getting bites try something no one else is doing and maybe Drop down in line size.
5-Be a good person on the trip. We are all different and have different stuff going on in our lives . But that isn't any excuse.We are all there(mostly) for our shared passion of LR fishing and the Ocean. Always congratulate the guys when they catch a fish. Always say thank you to the crew, always smile even when you are having a tough day. Never go off the deep end....or it may be tough to come back

Looking forward to rest of your report Min!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
That is some Excellent ,Perfect advice Min and I agree on all five of your points and that should be a great 5 commandments for LR fishing. Need five more now :)

My take on your 5 points:

1- Ride down is good =anticipation , Ride Back- blows mostly , I think all the boats should do flybacks . So much better....Brunch in Cabo , hanging around, easy flight back I love that.
2- My Buddy didnt get one bite for 9.5 days at Hurricane(except Kite) in Feb.. 5-10% of the anglers do catch about half the fish at times. Be prepared and be ready to change.
3- Rail time is everything. You can sleep when you are dead. How often are you going to be down in COW Town? Go to sleep at 8-830 and wake up at 2.30- 3 am = still plenty of sleep time - 6 hrs. And you are ready for prime time all the time.
4- Always be ready to change, always try something else , always ask , always look who is getting the bites and how? If no one is getting bites try something no one else is doing and maybe Drop down in line size.
5-Be a good person on the trip. We are all different and have different stuff going on in our lives . But that isn't any excuse.We are all there(mostly) for our shared passion of LR fishing and the Ocean. Always congratulate the guys when they catch a fish. Always say thank you to the crew, always smile even when you are having a tough day. Never go off the deep end....or it may be tough to come back

Looking forward to rest of your report Min!

All of Harddrive's 5 points are spot on IMO

Fly backs wouldn't work for most of the folks from out of town.....

so you fly back and have to hang out in SD for 4 days waiting for the boat or go home then return again to SD in 4 days....that would really suck IMO.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
All of Harddrive's 5 points are spot on IMO

Fly backs wouldn't work for most of the folks from out of town.....

so you fly back and have to hang out in SD for 4 days waiting for the boat or go home then return again to SD in 4 days....that would really suck IMO.

I can see that - it could be a pain for the out of towners which is probably like 75% of the peeps on the boat. For me it worked out great but I guess living close by the dock is a factor. Still it was pretty cool. on the last trip we had 5 scheduled riding back on the boat for the 3 days back from Cabo. By the time we arrived at Cabo, 3 had changed their mind and bought airplane tix. When we met the last 2 survivors at the dock a few days later-their look told the story.

Now maybe we can do a compromise: Build a modern catamaran or monohull type LR fishing boat that travels economically at 20-25 knots? Cruise ships travel at 22-23 knots everywhere. Now if I only had an extra 25 mill laying around...

Reactions: harddrive
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I can see that - it could be a pain for the out of towners which is probably like 75% of the peeps on the boat. For me it worked out great but I guess living close by the dock is a factor. Still it was pretty cool. on the last trip we had 5 scheduled riding back on the boat for the 3 days back from Cabo. By the time we arrived at Cabo, 3 had changed their mind and bought airplane tix. When we met the last 2 survivors at the dock a few days later-their look told the story.

Now maybe we can do a compromise: Build a modern catamaran or monohull type LR fishing boat that travels economically at 20-25 knots? Cruise ships travel at 22-23 knots everywhere. Now if I only had an extra 25 mill laying around...

I actually enjoy the ride back .....for me it is very relaxing and a time to really get to know people.....have a extended conversation and not be in a hurry....I guess I just love being out on the ocean.

Upvote 0

Hunting4Food

Almost A Member
Feb 27, 2008
Ramona, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
14 ft Duck Boat
Great read Min! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip. I too enjoy the ride back. Some quality books, movies, poker, and some rest.

Upvote 0

BarryG

Dec 1, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Barry Gambarana
Boat
17' Boston Whaler
Min your advice is very well summed up (listen, learn and a good attitude is everything), your on vacation. Summer camp for seniors is a classic. I leave with Wahoodad on Friday on the Excel; you know the drill XM radio, a cold one and mass quanties of BS and good natured ribbing. I really enjoyed spending time with you and Max on the back deck last year, you guys get it. I don't mind the ride back, it's just a little more time to decompress for me.
PS: I upgraded the cigar stash by 10; I'm sure a couple of those will find there way over to Captain Medina.
Tight Lines
Barry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
should be mailed from the office along with the receipt for your deposit ;)...great list, min...#5 especially. We all have personality quirks...I will overlook yours, and try to keep mine well hidden. I owe that to everyone on the boat. And to the crew, too. If I see a crew member walk to the bow alone, I do not follow to shoot the bull. Those guys need some alone time, too.

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Hey Barry,

Yup. Missed the XM radio and your iPad to see where the heck we were. Was nice fishing/drinking with you. :D

Good luck on the trip. And get ready to drink some buds and smoke a big cigar.

Yup. The back deck with nice drink and cigar and no place to go is very relaxing and great for your soul. You don't have to be fishing to have fun on these LR trip.

Min

Min your advice is very well summed up (listen, learn and a good attitude is everything), your on vacation. Summer camp for seniors is a classic. I leave with Wahoodad on Friday on the Excel; you know the drill XM radio, a cold one and mass quants of BS and good natured ribbing. I really enjoyed spending time with you and Max on the back deck last year, you guys get it. I don't mind the ride back, it's just a little more time to decompress for me.
PS: I upgraded the cigar stash by 10; I'm sure a couple of those will find there way over to Captain Medina.
Tight Lines
Barry.

Upvote 0

caveman

Almost A Member
May 1, 2006
windsor,ca
Name
charles boyd
Boat
20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
The advice you posted for first timers to long trips was spot on. I went on my first 16 day last year after many years of 8 days and felt like a fish out of water. It reminded me of many things from that trip. Well said.

Upvote 0

maxmacias

May 8, 2012
culver City
Name
Max Macias
Boat
N/A
ectra with 36lbs of drag at strike in less then a minute. Paul goes to me, we've never thrown a backup in the middle of the night as he has Roman hand the back up rig to him. But just as we were about to throw it over, my line got buried in the arbor about 20 wraps left and something let go. Pulled hook? Leader br
Min your advice is very well summed up (listen, learn and a good attitude is everything), your on vacation. Summer camp for seniors is a classic. I leave with Wahoodad on Friday on the Excel; you know the drill XM radio, a cold one and mass quanties of BS and good natured ribbing. I really enjoyed spending time with you and Max on the back deck last year, you guys get it. I don't mind the ride back, it's just a little more time to decompress for me.
Tight Lines
Barry.
Nice fishing with you last year Barry. Good luck on the Excel trip. Enjoy the fishing, drinking, great good, cigars and great weather. Min and I tried to listen to music on our phones and Min created his own speaker out of a cup to listen so we can listen to music on his phone on the way down. So we definitely missed the XM.

- Max

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Ricks giveaways. Everyone got these.

IMG_0726.JPG

Phil and Michael
IMG_0729.JPG

Max and Romam
IMG_0759.JPG

Paul "long shore man"
IMG_0745.JPG

Phil

IMG_0746.JPG

Sharon and Jerry and Paul "Norcal"
IMG_0782.JPG

Louie Louie, Jim Evans and Max relaxing on the deck going up hill.
IMG_0794.JPG

Charter Master Rick Ozaki and Jim Issac "park ranger"
IMG_0799.JPG

Jim Issac
IMG_0765.JPG

Victor Long on one OUR drinking events on the back deck.
IMG_0780.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
More pictures.

JRI - Jerry Intruder - After wahoo beating.

fullsizeoutput_aae.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aad.jpeg

Doctor John. Thank you John for loaning me the iPhone charging cable.

IMG_0786.JPG

Louie Louie :)

IMG_0764.JPG

Michael - If I ever assault a house, I would want you in the front.
IMG_0740.JPG

Captain Ken Buzzell

IMG_0755.JPG

Rocky "Reel Master" Rocchi

IMG_0747.JPG

Max with a JRI Intruder wahoo

DSCN0956.JPG.jpg

Rick and Rubio discuss poker and who won and who lost and why. :)
IMG_0763.JPG

Yours truly with my larges jig wahoo. 44lbs. Beat...

DSCN0976.JPG.jpg

Another JRI Intruder wahoo

DSCN0959.JPG.jpg

The crew working hard loading bait.
IMG_0719.JPG

And finally. A beautiful sunset. One of the greatest peaceful things in life.

IMG_0734.JPG

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Thanks for the report, Min. One can never control the fishing, but looks like you guys were able to have fun whether they were biting or not. Makes me look forward to my next trip even more.

-Connor

Reactions: harddrive
Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Thanks Jeff.

One of the final thing I'd like to say is. After you do enough of these trips, it's not so much about the big fish. It's about seeing old friends and relaxing. It's the rookie like I was at one time that wants to go nuts and catch everything and anything more than anyone else. Eventually, you realize it's the experience as much as chasing a trophy.

Min

Thanks for the report, Min. So many familiar faces, it feels like I was there...

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Thanks Jeff.

One of the final thing I'd like to say is. After you do enough of these trips, it's not so much about the big fish. It's about seeing old friends and relaxing. It's the rookie like I was at one time that wants to go nuts and catch everything and anything more than anyone else. Eventually, you realize it's the experience as much as chasing a trophy.

Min

Bingo!!!! You are on the money ....again.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I actually enjoy the ride back .....for me it is very relaxing and a time to really get to know people.....have a extended conversation and not be in a hurry....I guess I just love being out on the ocean.

I'm not going to tell you that I love the ride home. But I will say I've been in some ripper wahoo, yellowtail, wsb, and calico bass bites on the way home stopping at Alijos, Cedros, ect. Been lucky enough to have to leave the lower area because we were full, and did some c+r on the way home, that was cool.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Min, thanks for the great storytelling-report. Really enjoyed the read. I should tell you....up here in Oregon Marty is known more for his albacore skills than his king crabbing days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0