Avet reel for overnight party boat canyon tuna fishing east coast

DrBR

Jun 6, 2020
CT
Name
Robert P Richeson
Boat
Multiple
Looking to do some east coast overnight canyon tuna trips. Looking for right size reel to have backing of braid and a 150 yd top shot of mono - probably 60 lb. Anticipate using it for chunking. Based on your experience, which Avet reel size would you recommned? Your responses will help pointme in the right direction. Thanks!

DrBR

Jun 6, 2020
CT
Name
Robert P Richeson
Boat
Multiple
I know it may sound silly but I'm not really sure of the size fish targeting. I'm assuming 150 and below, probably majority less than a hundred pounds.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Looking to do some east coast overnight canyon tuna trips. Looking for right size reel to have backing of braid and a 150 yd top shot of mono - probably 60 lb. Anticipate using it for chunking. Based on your experience, which Avet reel size would you recommned? Your responses will help pointme in the right direction. Thanks!
Based on a 60# top shot, I would think HX, HX Raptor, or LX Raptor would work for you. Chunking at night?

Reactions: azbaseball

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Haha, right up my alley. Most party boats here require you to have 100yd topshot. No need for more! 100yd topshot of 80lb is what you want for most of our yellows.You could go with an HX raptor loaded with 80lb braid and the 80lb topshot. I would recommend getting a exw 30/2 loaded with 100lb hollow and 100yd topshot of 100lb mono for the bigeyes.

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
If you have any questions, feel free to message me! Here to help.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Based on a 60# top shot, I would think HX, HX Raptor, or LX Raptor would work for you. Chunking at night?

I grew up back East doing a ton of Canyon fishing both working and fishing. Very different than the west coast or gulf fishery. It's mostly a trolling deal and you are required to have at least 100 yd top shot of mono on your reels to fish on the party boats. You also have huge variances in the size of fish from 40# YFT up to 250# Big Eyes and swords. The HX and JX are great for jigging and chunking but you won't have enough line capacity to troll if you need to put 150 yds of Mono on the reel. OP I would strongly suggest an 80# mono top shot not 60# if you are trolling and hook an eyeball or are chunking and hook a sword.

I'd personally suggest a topless Avet 30W with 100# hollow core loop to loop connected to 100 Yds of 80# Momoi Diamond. You can then just change our your top shot when you need to.

If you chunk you can then add a flurocarbon leader to the hook. This would cover you for everything you are going to do except tile fish since the mono top shot would create way to much drag for those drops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Haha, right up my alley. Most party boats here require you to have 100yd topshot. No need for more! 100yd topshot of 80lb is what you want for most of our yellows.You could go with an HX raptor loaded with 80lb braid and the 80lb topshot. I would recommend getting a exw 30/2 loaded with 100lb hollow and 100yd topshot of 100lb mono for the bigeyes.

LOL this exactly.

Reactions: Salty Bones

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
LOL this exactly.
Haha, you haven't forgotten and not much has changed. Except the chunking is not what it used to be. It's a lot a lot more trolling now. Sad. But every once in a blue, with good water, you'll get a chunk bite that will last a day or two.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Haha, you haven't forgotten and not much has changed. Except the chunking is not what it used to be. It's a lot a lot more trolling now. Sad. But every once in a blue, with good water, you'll get a chunk bite that will last a day or two.
Sounds good to me those were LOOOONNNGGG night on deck lol.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I grew up back East doing a ton of Canyon fishing both working and fishing. Very different than the west coast or gulf fishery. It's mostly a trolling deal and you are required to have at least 100 yd top shot of mono on your reels to fish on the party boats. You also have huge variances in the size of fish from 40# YFT up to 250# Big Eyes and swords. The HX and JX are great for jigging and chunking but you won't have enough line capacity to troll if you need to put 150 yds of Mono on the reel. OP I would strongly suggest an 80# mono top shot not 60# if you are trolling and hook an eyeball or are chunking and hook a sword.

I'd personally suggest a topless Avet 30W with 100# hollow core loop to loop connected to 100 Yds of 80# Momoi Diamond. You can then just change our your top shot when you need to.

If you chunk you can then add a flurocarbon leader to the hook. This would cover you for everything you are going to do except tile fish since the mono top shot would create way to much drag for those drops.
Well then, based on what you are saying I would agree with you.

mitchman

Feb 19, 2007
cape cod
Name
Mitchell Buck
Boat
none
I'm in Massachusetts and offshore fish on private boats but have friends that do the East Coast party boat thing. Unfortunately these party boats are waaaaay behind the times as they typically don't like braid at all on your reel. If they see the braid they will tell you stop fishing with it....happened to my buddy on the Frances Fleet last year. So my recommendation is to go with an 50 narrow or wide to make sure that you can get 100yd topshot on to hide the braid...you could get away with a 30w though. While most tuna (yellows, bigeye, albacore) will be small <100lbs, you do have a chance to hook bigeyes over 200lbs and swordfish as well. And its not as much about worried about being spooled as it is about being able to control the fish on one of these cattle boats packed with inexperienced, rowdy anglers. And if you have to switch briad to mono you have capacity too. Some boats do allow jigging/popping setups in the bow with braid though.