twinfin1000

TC Rods - Tradewind Creations
Jun 14, 2007
The South Bay
Name
Steven
Boat
MushiKaka
I own several avets from the sx to the 30 and I have been very happy with them so far, but I was wondering if there was some room for improvement especially for the mx series. I own an mxj 2 speed and I was wondering if this reel can be enhanced to comfortably fish 40 or 50 pound test. Can it be done?

Upvote 0

OFN

COB
Mar 18, 2007
Leona Valley
Name
Nat
Boat
Striper 2150, Indie
The MXJ is a really nice 30 lb Jigging reel. For 40 I would step up to the JX or LX. For 50 I would go to the HX or HXJ. Of course I am one of those real conservative guys, and I am sure you will get opinions to the contrary,.

Upvote 0

HTA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I have fished both the SX 6/4 and MXJ 6/4 with 40lb topshot over 50lb spectra. Had no problems at Chester rock in late May landing yelllows up to 32lbs on the reels. My father used an LX 6/3 for the very first time and landed yellows up to 38 lbs with no problem. My pops is 75 and really likes that low gear. I plan on fishing the MXJ 6/4 50/40 at the Lupe for the bigger YFT in October and have all the faith in the world the reel will get it done.

Upvote 0

bladeduffer

Jul 12, 2007
Vista
Name
Adolph
Boat
I'll let you know once I win the Lotto.
I own several avets from the sx to the 30 and I have been very happy with them so far, but I was wondering if there was some room for improvement especially for the mx series. I own an mxj 2 speed and I was wondering if this reel can be enhanced to comfortably fish 40 or 50 pound test. Can it be done?

I've seen gear upgrades for Penns and the like but haven't seen anything for Avets. These reels seem fairly strong so I'd say that the main issue would be drag. Capacity you can take care of with braid. Not to say you can't land fish in the 40 and 50# range, I believe alot of people stated here that they have, but it looks to me that you'd be a little undergunned .

Upvote 0

twinfin1000

TC Rods - Tradewind Creations
Jun 14, 2007
The South Bay
Name
Steven
Boat
MushiKaka
Hey guy, I said that I want it to be able to fish 40 and 50# COMFORTABLY. For those who tinker with reels, is this possible or would I have to look at an Accurate of comparable size to be able to pull this off?

Upvote 0

coryellk

Fly Navy
Mar 7, 2006
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
When Wife makes more $...
Avets bind up when you try to use them at the higher end of their drag capacity. Using an MX for anything over 10# of drag pressure won't be comfortable any more.

Accurates don't bind and you can get drag pressures out of a 197 or 270 that will comfortably handle 40 or 50# line class.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    accurate for your purposes,otherwise do as suggested and step up the avet in reel size.you cant go wrong either way.....

Upvote 0

bladeduffer

Jul 12, 2007
    Vista
    Name
    Adolph
    Boat
    I'll let you know once I win the Lotto.
    Hey guy, I said that I want it to be able to fish 40 and 50# COMFORTABLY. For those who tinker with reels, is this possible or would I have to look at an Accurate of comparable size to be able to pull this off?

Comfort is relative. There are some BDers here that are comfortable using their SXs with 40# fish. If you like Avets, go up to the HX.

Upvote 0

coryellk

Fly Navy
    Mar 7, 2006
    Fallbrook, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    When Wife makes more $...

Go look at a 197 or 270.... For it's size, you cannot get more reliable, smooth drag from ANY other reel. Both are smaller than an SX and deliver twice the drag pressures. They also don't bind up like Avets do.

Upvote 0

NAVI07

Jun 30, 2008
    M.V. N.Y.
    Name
    ANGELO
    Boat
    27 SEARAY LAST CHANCE
    You may want to contact alan tani. If there is anyone who can improve a reel its him. Usualy when he rebuilds a drag you come away with more drag than new. According to avet and I know there over rating there product. They say the sx preferably with a 2speed can easily,repetitevly handle 80 lb fish. As a avet sx owner find that hard to believe. But I would guess it can handle 40-50 lbers no problem. I have a 270 2 speed also and I feel its too big for anything under 35 lbs. I was reeling in 30 lb stripers in hi gear, i thought I was using a international 30vsw- no lie. But hey thats my opinion and like assholes everyones got one-LOL

Upvote 0

YANK N CRANK #2

Proud Wyoming Resident
    Feb 28, 2006
    God's Country, Wyoming
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
    According to avet and I know there over rating there product. They say the sx preferably with a 2speed can easily,repetitevly handle 80 lb fish. As a avet sx owner find that hard to believe. But I would guess it can handle 40-50 lbers no problem. I have a 270 2 speed also and I feel its too big for anything under 35 lbs.

A friend of mine caught a 120# yellowfin on his sx.. Its not bullshit its reality.....

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
    Jan 24, 2007
    HOT!
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    next one i'm on...
    you either need lotsa drag or lotsa line capacity to land a big fish. Having a freefloating platform (kayak) or a 6 pack/panga type boat capable of moving with the fish doesn't hurt either.
    On a static platform you'll be there all day, then probably come unbuttoned. My 270 freespools like a MOFO and has 18# at strike and 23# at full, over and over all day long. And is well capable of more with a bigger topshot.
    Back when I had my MXJ, I got run around the Shogun 3-4 times to land 30-40lb. fish. With my 270 single speed its just not fair.

Upvote 0

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
    Nov 13, 2005
    Still in Oregon
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    3' Too Short

I doubt you can get too much more out of an MX than Avet has put into them. I've been tinkering with my MX's and JX's and the limiting factor is side loading (thrust) on bearings causing unacceptable (at least to me) handle resistance, binding, and eventual lockup of the reel as drag gets past the design limits of the reel. I wish I could find some bearings designed for radial and liner loading that would drop in but so far all I find require machining of the reel and I won't go to that extreme unless I have a reel that is beyond "normal" repair.

Upvote 0

JRD

Dec 12, 2003
    Garden Grove
    none.com
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    I have not tried it myself but I wonder why you could not play with the spool tube and shim the inside races of the outer bearings to fix the side load problems letting you increase free spool and drag potentials. I guess I will have to look this weekend.

Upvote 0

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
    Nov 13, 2005
    Still in Oregon
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    3' Too Short
    If the side load can be transfered through the inter races and avoid pressure on the outer race you might see some improvement.

Upvote 0