SCHeadhunter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Neither of my two Avet reels have let me down in a variety of conditions, have boated some nice fish with them, EX50SDS and EX30W. No complaints.
I have always preferred brunettes. Personal preference for sure

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I have always preferred brunettes. Personal preference for sure
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I really like using my Mak 16 and every time I get to borrow an ATD, I love it. I did a thread on the Fishing Reels forum on swapping out a Penn 30S for the EX30. Primary use for 60-80 lb at Lupe. Avet EX, maybe not “the best” but certainly good enough for me. I like the way they’re built and find them very easy to service.

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I really like using my Mak 16 and every time I get to borrow an ATD, I love it. I did a thread on the Fishing Reels forum on swapping out a Penn 30S for the EX30. Primary use for 60-80 lb at Lupe. Avet EX, maybe not “the best” but certainly good enough for me. I like the way they’re built and find them very easy to service.
I just don’t like the feel of my Avet. Clunky and rough compared to my other gear. The reel does its job but it doesn’t feel precision like my other gear, especially my Shimano gear. Super smooth from my small Trinidad’s to my Tiagra 50 W LRS.
I do like the new penn VISX. That is very nice hardware for sure. Maks are solid too.

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
when grey light or big fish coming often i go Penn50 or Ex50-3, for long days of pick bites the Penn16or ex30 have been sweet. And both have risen to the cow challenge when called to it

Reactions: Steve K

Ranchibi

Jul 11, 2011
H.B./CA/orange
Name
Randall
Boat
Iwish
0228B93C-9779-4E21-9EDA-9BE9C51745F5.jpeg
Using one of my two Avet EX30/2 reels, 80lb Toro Tamer solid with a short 80lb Premier top shot and a Shimano 250 Glow Flat Fall this summer I managed to land this 222lb BFT. Hooked it at 4:45am gaffed at close to 6am...great reels :).

Reactions: MikeeDaGuy and @-EZ

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I brought a 206# bft to the boat in 5 minutes on an avet 30 ex with 28-30lb of drag (although 2 pulled gaff shots necessitated a total of 15 minutes of fight time) on 100lb line. The avet 30 is a bulletproof reel for me. Less maintenance than others, fewer problems. Maybe a little chunkier, but honestly, its quite comfortable with the rounded side plates. If you fish the rail and palm the left side plate, it's a great reel to use. I think I'm down to 600 yds of line, which is plenty if you use heavy drag. I fish reels with 450yds of 100lb test and have caught cows on those, so capacity isn't an issue for the avet 30. I have not tried the shimano tiagras, so I cannot compare directly but the avets are cheaper and work great for me.

PATYMELTER1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2014
PLEASANTON, CA.
Name
PATRICK
Boat
SECOND CHANCE
My Friend.... many cows have been caught on this rig... :-)

I would totally use it as a cow rig, for long days at the rail, it is light weight. I have seen many cows get caught on this rig.... Including my friend (John T's) first cow when Harddrive was on board the Intrepid...... his first long range trip, using boat gear and he got a 259 lber....

If the fishing action was hot and heavy and it was all bigger fish, I would probably move up to an SDS50, but long slow day, lighter line, lighter rig.... I would do a 30, no problem...

I caught a cow on an EX in PV. Preformed well.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
So, I acquired a nice, nearly new, used one but found the spool dragging in freespool if I tilt it to the right. Dropped it off at Ken’s in Oceanside on the way south last Saturday. Will have it to use on my next trip, a 7 day departing November 5 on the Angler. Will be paired with my new Blue 1X3 just finished. Last year, it would have been perfect for fishing the flyline. This year, 30 lb. Go figure.

Hope to use it, but success at Lupe getting bit was using 30 lb. Guess it will be a good go to in January at Hurricane Bank with 100 lb Premier topshots.

Last edited: