Avet or ?

Avet Reels

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Typically an Avet fan. Have HX and smaller reels. Makira SEA and Penn VISX recommended by many. Should I listen or look at EX50/2 or T-RX50/2. Want a reel to try for BFT that is bigger than HX Raptor. Avet pricing is very competitive right now.

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
50 is a big reel for a sporty and winding flatfalls. It's good for macs and kites. I would use my HXW or a 30 with 100#. Penn and Okuma are nice reels.

Reactions: Almud

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Makaira's and Penn VISX's are wonderful reels...

I happen to like Avets quite a bit too - I have over a dozen, and other than a pinion bearing or two encountered while pushing a JX a little too hard, they've been terrific reels...

A Pro30 (EX30) is a solid 100# reel - mine's filled with 80# solid, spliced to 130 hollow, with a topshot of 100# fluoro. An SDS50 (EX50) is a workhorse 130# reel - there's a reason you see many of them on extended long range cow trips...

I'd suggest a Pro30 - plenty of muscle for 200# class BFT. If you thought you'd also be pursuing cow YFT - on the 12+ day long range trips - and, you could only have one of the two reels, I'd suggest the 50 size.

Reactions: RichG and Almud

dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
Aug 12, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
SteveO
Boat
American Angler
My entire arsenal consists primarily of Avet reels—HXW all the way down to an MXJ and everything in-between. But for big BFT I have a 20VISX loaded with 100# braid and a short 100# fluoro topshot. The 20 is identical to the 30, only narrower. In my opinion, the VISX is much more capable than an Avet EX. You can also consider the 16VISX, slightly smaller and more manageable. Good luck!

Reactions: Almud

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
A valiant 800 would be killer for flat falls.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I'm an Avet guy....LH not many other options. I have a ton: SX singles to HXW raptors

After HXW Raptor size I'd buy a Penn VISX if they made them lefty.

Sadly Penn doesn't think lefties matter

Don't even bother with Shimano.