avet mxl raptor

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I wouldn't. If you tied in to a 100# fish you'd have line capacity issues and want a lower low gear. Maybe a JX Raptor is what you need,

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    the drag that the reel can put out is not a problem your biggest issue is going to be line capacity
    if the fish does not spool you
    you will more than likely be on that fish for a couple of hours
    personally i think it is doable but not the best idea
    i would bump it up to the jx rapture

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
    Jan 24, 2007
    HOT!
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    next one i'm on...
    the drag that the reel can put out is not a problem your biggest issue is going to be line capacity
    if the fish does not spool you
    you will more than likely be on that fish for a couple of hours
    personally i think it is doable but not the best idea
    i would bump it up to the jx rapture

X2, been there done that with a 870n/2 a couple times. Had to go to full #28 to even slow him down. Pulled hook after 10-15 min.

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    If your in water that holds 100# class Bluefin, that same water could hold fish to 200#, then what? Your planning to fail, not succeed.

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
    Sep 25, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    what ever floats
    Go with a reel with more line cap and lower gear. I was on the Vag at lupe a few years back bite was tough so I grabbed my MXL 2 speed with 40 # on it. Got picked up by 80 lb yft, 2 hrs later got fish on boat but the whole time felt under gunned and a lot more work than it should have been. If you really want to try go for it, might get lucky, but if get smoked all you can do is laugh, It just fishing its about having fun

Upvote 0

chef tom

Sep 14, 2012
    fresno ca. usa
    Name
    tom waggoner
    Boat
    none
    Just remember this! Its not all about how much drag you can put on a fish. You will pull a lot of hooks with to much drag. So why spend the extra money for a raptor when it is not needed.
    The standard HX will handle 60lb line and 150lb tuna no problem. That reel has up to 27lbs of drag. When I fish down below for cows I start with 25lbs of drag. Go by line class not drag pressure the set you drag accordingly.

Upvote 0

salty brain

Sep 25, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    what ever floats
    go to the shop and pull on some gf 700 xh and xxh. and pull on the gf 770h and 770xh. sure you will find some thing in those series you'll like. i don't like rollers

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishersOfMen

Feb 3, 2014
    Name
    Yours
    Boat
    Yah right
    Just remember this! Its not all about how much drag you can put on a fish. You will pull a lot of hooks with to much drag. So why spend the extra money for a raptor when it is not needed.
    The standard HX will handle 60lb line and 150lb tuna no problem. That reel has up to 27lbs of drag. When I fish down below for cows I start with 25lbs of drag. Go by line class not drag pressure the set you drag accordingly.
    Sounds about right. Thx.

Now single or 2-speed. I looking to match it on 6.5, 6.6 or probably a 7 footer.
    And last I'm thinking HXW. This would be YF, Wahoo, or BF. Can I knock all those out with this one reel. I really don't want to go bigger than that.

Upvote 0

Bigrab

Feb 10, 2013
    Fontana
    Name
    Randy benner
    Boat
    CBC
    i just wanted to know if i can fish 40 to 100lb bft in july with avet mxl raptor ? i know the reel had some crazy drag but still need some answer?? thanks.
    You never know with those fish my 120 pounder last year only took 100 yards of 40 on the standard Jx but if you get one that wants to run you're going to need more line capacity that the XMLXML

Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

Feb 9, 2012
    san diego/kali/us
    Name
    randy
    Boat
    ocean therapist
    tuna run an sometimes the biggest reels cant stop them....thats why they have a back up rod to clip on yours but then that means your reel is going for a swim

Upvote 0

chef tom

Sep 14, 2012
    fresno ca. usa
    Name
    tom waggoner
    Boat
    none
    [qfi
    Sounds about right. Thx.

Now single or 2-speed. I looking to match it on 6.5, 6.6 or probably a 7 footer.
    And last I'm thinking HXW. This would be YF, Wahoo, or BF. Can I knock all those out with this one reel. I really don't want to go bigger than that.
    I would put the HX 5-2 on a 700h calstar
    "FishersOfMen, post: 3344107, member: 172301"]Sounds about right. Thx.

And last I'm thinking HXW. This would be YF, Wahoo, or BF. Can I knock all those out with this one reel. I really don't want to go bigger than that.[/quote]
    I fish

Upvote 0
    Nov 29, 2005
    Oregon
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
    My go to rod and reel for 50lb line is a Calstar 700h with HX 5-2 it will handle anything in 8 day range!

X2! My 60# set up is the same reel with a 765ML. The only Raptors I own are HXW's for 80-100#. The standard JX's are my go to 40#, MXL's for 30#. I have landed YFT's at the Rocks up to 80# with the JX's and YT's at Cedros up to 40# with my MXL's, never felt undergunned. All my Avets are two speeds.

IMHO no need for the HXW for a 60# top shot with 80# spectra backing.

Upvote 0

DITCH CLEANER

Oct 22, 2006
    riverside ca
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    party
    In all honesty the MXL Raptor can handle the average 70 lb tuna with a 40lb line, now when you go to bigger fish or tough bastards then you will need more capacity of line. The question you must answer is do I want to conquer the average fish or the biggest fish.

Upvote 0

JTL750

Oct 8, 2013
    SD
    Name
    Str8up Jesse
    Boat
    SS Bobber
    [FYIte="AKSalmon, post: 3329624, member: 15259"]I wouldn't. If you tied in to a 100# fish you'd have line capacity issues and want a lower low gear. Maybe a JX Raptor is what you need,[/quote]

FYI, the MXL and JX have almost the exact same line capacity.

Upvote 0

FishersOfMen

Feb 3, 2014
    Name
    Yours
    Boat
    Yah right
    I'm thinking that I want to stop with a setup for offshore 8-10 days trips and not be out gunned. So if I went with the HXW on a 700H...XH or stiffer. I don't want to walk on with 15 rods like the old days. I have an MXL SS and do well with it. But instead of going from my JX to an (LX or HXW...for line capacity) I wanted to stop there for anything big YF, BF, YT. I'm also hearing to not upgrade so high and stop at an LX 2S for thumb control because the reel sits lower.

I know that if I stopped there a 2S HXW would cover more and I would be better off but I'm not sure that a 700H will cover more ground and not be what I need. I also see that too much drag is just simply going to rip some lips too. I just throwing this all out there to see what others are thinking.

Thx

Upvote 0

salty brain

Sep 25, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    what ever floats
    I got 2 HXs and 2 LXs and the HX cast a lot better than the LX. Im really not that impressed with the LX but the HX and JX I love them.

Upvote 0