Avet MXJ handle knob stuck

RGH

Jul 25, 2018
Oceanside
Name
RGH
Boat
trident
I recently purchased an avet MXJ and noticed the knob was a little sticky and not spinning smoothly.

After bringing the reel home and taking the knob cover off, then the hex nut, all that I could remove was the split washer. The other 2 washers beneath the split washer seem to be stuck on the bearing, and I can't figure out how to pry the knob loose so I can service the Bearings.

Anyone have this issue? And if so how did you get it to come loose?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Drago

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2015
Name
Alex
Boat
Any
From experience, AVET MXJ Raptor I got 2 months ago, and I'd say it has a break in period. Definitely some gears feel more grindy but after a trip or 2 loosens up a bit.

Just tried to pickup my various AVETs and feel them turning and I can definitely feel which have been broken in.

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
Try this service video, I hope it helps. Be careful with the screws in the outside as they screw into plastic. Don’t horse them too tight as they just hold the cover in place.

If you used the reel even once at sea salt could have entered the two bearings. Clean and oil them and expect the handle to spin better than new.

When fishing I keep a small bottle of oil in my tackle box just for the space where the plastic handle meets the metal part of the handle. A drop a day if I feel anything tightening.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Try this service video, I hope it helps. Be careful with the screws in the outside as they screw into plastic. Don’t horse them too tight as they just hold the cover in place.

If you used the reel even once at sea salt could have entered the two bearings. Clean and oil them and expect the handle to spin better than new.

When fishing I keep a small bottle of oil in my tackle box just for the space where the plastic handle meets the metal part of the handle. A drop a day if I feel anything tightening.

I fall asleep to this man's videos. Very helpful and very ASMR.

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
I fall asleep to this man's videos. Very helpful and very ASMR.
Great to know you will not need ambien any more. All of these videos are single take start to finish. I start and work to the end, warts and all. If there is a cut it is from my nephew who edits and shoots my instructions.

Do you have links to YOUR efforts, I’d like to see and hear pizzazz?

Last edited:

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Great to know you will not need ambien any more. Do you have links to YOUR efforts, I’d like to see and hear pizzazz?
Don't take it the wrong way. It was a compliment. I love this man's voice and his directions are silky smooth. ASMR is a positive term.

RGH

Jul 25, 2018
Oceanside
Name
RGH
Boat
trident
Thanks for the replies guy's.

Looks like the 2 washers are rusted and Stuck together on the shaft and I can't pull them off. I need some kind of chemical/solution to loosen them up I guess?

Drago

Mar 7, 2015
Name
Alex
Boat
Any
WD40 is great for getting rust loose 👍

Reactions: plj46

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Vinegar or lemon juice.Don't leave it there very long.

Drago

Mar 7, 2015
Name
Alex
Boat
Any
Do you have links to YOUR efforts, I’d like to see and hear pizzazz?
ASMR is along the lines of "soothing" and "relaxing" way of speaking, its a compliment

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
ASMR is along the lines of "soothing" and "relaxing" way of speaking, its a compliment
Puts you to sleep is NOT a compliment to me. If someone says something good and then says something bad it does not work out so well with me. If you don’t like something I do, move on baby to the next Bloodydecks post or YouTube video, there are billions.

Reactions: SD2600 and Cubeye

politadisa

Apr 30, 2020
FRANCE
Name
poliha
Boat
Boat
Try this service video, I hope it helps. Be careful with the screws in the outside as they screw into plastic. Don’t horse them too tight as they just hold the cover in place. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Last edited: