Avet MX Raptor drag “lever” issue

HUTCH-FL

Mar 20, 2023
Florida
Name
D Hutchinson
Boat Name
Hum-sup-poon
Good day Avet enthusiast’s - own 5 Avets down here in Florida - 2 MX, 2 LX and 1 T-Rex (for Goliath grouper on wrecks/ bridges). Solid reels, super smooth drags, even under gear smashing 40-50 pound kingfish runs.

Issue - One of my MX Raptors‘ lever drag “lever” is harder to push up from free spool to first click on drag engagement. All 4 of my other Avet reel “lever‘s” slide from free spool to first drag engagement (click) smoothly without binding.

The one MX Raptor lever drag I’m questioning - it binds a little when I go from free spool to first drag indent click engagement - not hard to push the lever through this small bind, but, don’t want it to get worse.

Y’all run across this before, adjustments I can make? I’ve yet to use this reel specifically, just spooled it couple days ago in readiness for a 7 rod kingfish spread I’ll be running later this week.

Thanks for any advice Guys.

Upvote 0

HUTCH-FL

Mar 20, 2023
Florida
Name
D Hutchinson
Boat Name
Hum-sup-poon
G’day all - looked at this further and still can’t seem to figure what‘s causing the slight “drag lever“ binding at the indent going from free spool to first “click” of drag engagement. Operation/ mechanics of it look simple enough,… can’t see what’s going on under the drag knob though.

It’s a new reel/ never used,….didn’t want to bother the guys at Avet yet - figured I’d first see if the plethora of knowledge here has run across this before,….

If I find out what it is from the Avet guys, I’ll post it here so future people can search - I didn’t find anything on this during my previous search. But, then again,…..I can type in Google search “map of Florida”,….and it gives me “how to change the oil in a 72 Datsun truck”. 😎

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Odd are your pinion bearing -- the bearing in the right side plate --is bad. It will go bad if you push the drag too hard or it gets corroded.

Upvote 0

HUTCH-FL

Mar 20, 2023
    Florida
    Name
    D Hutchinson
    Boat Name
    Hum-sup-poon
    Thanks for the reply AKSalmon - it’s a new reel bud, never used it. Took the reel out of the box, slapped it on the ol’ South Chatham Tackle line spooler and spun 30# Berkley big game mono backing with 350yds of 30# power pro super slick 8.

Thats when I noticed the drag lever binding at the indent issue - it’s not binding bad, but it’s noticeable - don’t want it worsening/ causing future issues. I went ahead and mounted reel on rod/ will use it,…….watch,….a 60 pounder will slam it and the reel will explode in my hand 😎

I’ve yet to call the fellars at AVET,…… been workin’ harder than an ugly stripper these past few weeks. Will do though.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Put the reel in free spool and back off on the preset knob. Does this reduce the lever binding? If not, you have a problem. If it does make it easier to shift the lever then things are probably OK as long as you get enough drag at strike. I've seen new reels with bad pinion bearings -- but I'm almost sure that the reel was abused by potential customers at the store by setting the preset to high.

Upvote 0

HUlmr

Mar 22, 2021
    Las Vegas, NV
    Name
    Harley
    Boat Name
    Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Intrepid
    My MXL Raptor did the same thing once. I serviced the reel, and when re-assemled, something did not quite line up correctly. A quick teardown and careful re-assembly cured it.

Upvote 0

HUTCH-FL

Mar 20, 2023
    Florida
    Name
    D Hutchinson
    Boat Name
    Hum-sup-poon
    Morning Avet fans, it ended up being what AKSalmon said - I took both of my Avet MX Raptors and laid them side by side - put both in free spool and spun the drag knobs all the way out, then engaged both drag knobs 1 turn each - one MX is smooth as butter (popping from free spool to first click of drag engagement), the 2nd is “about“ the same, but, can still notice a very slight “burr” feeling when you slide the drag lever up. Should be ok - reckon the first fish of decent size on this reel will show if there is an issue. Thanks men.

Upvote 0