Avet MC vs non MC

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by xtshawytscha, Jan 5, 2019.

1. FishBoy82

FishBoy82 Fish Killer

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23' Olympic
    Magic cast works great to learn how to cast without digging birds nests everytime. Now that I've learned, I won't buy a MC.

xtshawytscha likes this.
  2. RUNNOFT

RUNNOFT Word of the Day: IceMelter

Name:
    OT - the Other Travis
    Boat:
    Don't call me Ben's 2350 Parker
    Same opinion as many before, if primary use is to chuck swimbaits/poppers and/or jigging then the best reel is a spinning outfit. Daiwa is good, but my go to and big on east coast tuna is Shimano. I fish the Saragosa down here, which is perfect for all day use (light) and can handle fish up to 60# when you don’t need to use the rail.

xtshawytscha likes this.
  3. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    G loomis 965 imx

xtshawytscha likes this.
  4. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    Sweet rod lol...

FishPimpII and Team Sency like this.
  5. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    You can mag your own Avet for $5 in parts.

I dont think it worth paying for from factory alone. I also dont think 2speeds or Raptors are worth it unless your fishing 50lb and up.

To each their own.

xtshawytscha and InDeepShip like this.
  6. dany08fa

dany08fa Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    26' Striper "High Hopes"
    I have avets both with and without mc and i wouldnt get the mc option. I personally like using a spinning reel for casting swim baits. My MXJs are great for inshore bottom fishing under 200’

xtshawytscha likes this.
  7. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Yea i totally agree I have a G2 MXL MC 2 speed and someone was talking about why don't I just step up to the raptor. My reasoning is your not going to be using 15+ lb of drag on a reel/outfit like that

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    30 Rampage "Playin Hooky"
    It is all preference... the MC is worth it if you can appreciate the assistance while casting as most people cannot cast light weight tackle with a good reel with great freespool..... all the comments about using a spinning reel are because they cannot control a great reel with great freespool... personally, I use spinning reels as well because people on my boat can’t grab a good reel and cast it without a Rats nest.....

I also appreciate and have several Avet Raptors and although I do not need the drag that they offer, they are more balanced. The drag is smoother, the cast is better....... it’s all about your budget.... I also have a few Accurates and a few Talicas..... I think both are superior, less maintenance, and smoother. The Talica is probably the best of the three.... super smooth, tons of drag, and less maintenance.....

The Avets seem to get issues with the clicker..... posted above someone stated that Avets are easy, simply soak them for five minutes after every trip...... Are you kidding me?!? That’s retarded! Avet or otherwise you should not have to do much after every trip..... salt away, rinse and wait for next trip....

Just my 2 cents....

Team Sency likes this.
  9. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Retarded is a little harsh, no? Those are the instructions provided by Avet, and as far as I know they are the only manufacturer who advocate soaking due to the design. I find it to be convenient and effective, as it helps remove the salt from areas otherwise inaccessible, as well as deep in the braid.

To each their own.

Team Sency likes this.
  10. Team Sency

Team Sency Unleash the hounds!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    JuiceBox2
    Roger....you are doing it right! It is that diligence that will keep your gear working well for the long run.

John means retarded in the nicest way!

G-Spot likes this.
  11. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    I know that Avet recommends that for cleaning, and they are the only one that recommends that. Because of their open face design their reel may be more subject to any water intrusion and it is also easily rinsed off. You also must pin the drag prior to putting them in water to keep the drag disc and drag plate from getting to wet. don’t think they recommend it after every use. When I do a long range trip at the end of the trip the deck hands have a bucket of water and we do soak them as recommended by Avet, then you have to release the drag and carefully set them out so the weep hole is properly located so any residual water can drain out.

To remove each reel from the rod after each trip soak it for 5 minutes, then place them all in a location with weep holes down for final drainage of residual water after every trip is retarded to me.... I pin all my drags to prevent water intrusion, spray all my reels with salt away regardless of manufacturer, mist them off with fresh water so I dont force water into any internals, then release drags and set them aside for the next trip. Heavy cleaning and maintenance is at the end of the season.

If you fish much and you are dunking you reels that much, I think you are probably doing more harm than good. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. the_tunaman

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    :D :cool:

13. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    As for super soaking your braid after every trip and getting it sopping wet down to the spool, this can cause mold and degradation of you line. Some guys will use the line remover tool and wash their line, let it dry and then replace if after a long range trip or at the end of season, but your line being that wet, that deep, all the time, I don’t think is good.... but as you said to each their own...

14. the_tunaman

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    I am meticulous with all of my tools... fishing gear, guns, camera gear, garage tools, etc. - too much invested not to be. That is why my possessions last - I have many 25-30 year old Daiwa and Penn International reels that are still in service, although I now have a full compliment of Avet and Makaira reels as primary gear.

As far as soaking goes, it may be a geographical issue since I live in So Cal and it appears you are in the PNW... I can leave my reels on the covered patio once soaked and the braid dries just fine. Never had a problem, and don’t expect to.

I do break down my gear after every trip... most everyone I know does. I treat my freshwater gear as you describe, however, since it isn’t exposed to the same harsh conditions.

Way off topic, so apologies to all. I still say that MC is not worth it on its own merit :D

xtshawytscha and G-Spot like this.
  15. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    My stuff lasts like yours, I take good care of it. I fish weekly and Injust can’t imaging breaking down my gear and soaking the reels every week. And yes, in Oregon depending on where and what time of year the stuff would never dry..... I also leave my gear in my boat for the next trip (I moore my boat). They idea of breaking down each week and leaving it unassembled in my boat until the following week is not feasible. Just a difference in geography and how often it is used.

the_tunaman likes this.