Avet MC vs non MC

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Just wondering if the magnetic cast control is worth the extra dough on the Avet SX and MX series of reels. Primary use would be casting swimbaits for tuna and secondary would be shallow water (under 200 feet) jigging for bottomfish. I have always fished baitcasters and can cast and control backlash well, but I'm willing to pay the extra if it makes a big difference or allows for longer casts.

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
I don’t believe it is worth the additional cost in and of itself, but being a feature included in the Raptor line I believe helps to justify the cost of the Raptor models.

I won’t buy anything but Raptor now, as I feel that the graduated lever, MC and extra heft and power are worth it.

If you have an educated thumb, then it likely isn’t worth the additional cost for you.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I have always wondered if the MC is a good thing. For a live bait reel, it seems like it would be more resistance against the chovie (or whatever bait you’ve pinned on).

I don’t thing I have a balanced opinion as I usually am only using an Avet for live bait.

Reactions: xtshawytscha
Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
Well, as the name implies, it is only a magnetic force which acts against the revolving spool. The concept has been around for a great many years - many of my Daiwa freshwater baitcasters have it.

You won’t notice it when baitfishing - it does not produce any drag on the spool.

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Non.

Avets are not the weapon of choice for casting jigs or casting anything for that matter.

Plus you still gotta use your thumb to caSt unless you get real good at setting that knob.

Are there other conventional reels that cast better? I'm certainly not stuck on Avet, but do like their reels.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Are there other conventional reels that cast better? I'm certainly not stuck on Avet, but do like their reels.

Personally for any jigging that involves casting I opt for a spinning setup every time. I have a conventional setup that I will cast as well but my dedicated casting rod has a heavy Diawa spinning reel on it. Fighting backlash Wether it be with a thumb or magnetic drag always ads resistance to the cast so it seems a spinning setup is better to me.

Avets are hard to beat on bait but I'm also not the guy who drops $250 on a reel. I run okuma Solterra bait reels at 130 each and a heavy spinning reel around 100. I usually have a Ling cod setup with a flat fall jig and the spinner gets a swim baits or butterfly jig.

We usually got a guy on the bow with a caring setup when we see jumpers.

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Personally for any jigging that involves casting I opt for a spinning setup every time. I have a conventional setup that I will cast as well but my dedicated casting rod has a heavy Diawa spinning reel on it. Fighting backlash Wether it be with a thumb or magnetic drag always ads resistance to the cast so it seems a spinning setup is better to me.

Avets are hard to beat on bait but I'm also not the guy who drops $250 on a reel. I run okuma Solterra bait reels at 130 each and a heavy spinning reel around 100. I usually have a Ling cod setup with a flat fall jig and the spinner gets a swim baits or butterfly jig.

We usually got a guy on the bow with a caring setup when we see jumpers.

What Daiwa spinning reel are you running? I've never been a big spinning guy, but have been considering the Daiwa BG 4500 instead of a conventional for the scenarios I listed.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Eric.....I’m with you on baitcaster for bombing!

I think you couldn’t go wrong with a Tranx or Lexa.

As far as Avets....I agree that the only one I will own is the Raptor. Just a much better reel....but....the Avets are much more maintenance/fragile than the Talicas.

I imagine you have baitcasted steelhead forever....so no MC is needed.

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
<snip>....the Avets are much more maintenance/fragile than the Talicas.

Not sure why you say that, but from my experience the Avet reels don’t require much maintenance aside from soaking them in a bucket for five minutes after each trip, and a normal servicing at the beginning or end of the season.

I have 10 of them now and use them nearly exclusively save for the three Makairas that I have been using on the top end, and haven’t had to do anything more than what I listed above for the last two seasons.

I’m a very satisfied Avet customer myself.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Not sure why you say that, but from my experience the Avet reels don’t require much maintenance aside from soaking them in a bucket for five minutes after each trip, and a normal servicing at the beginning or end of the season.

I have 10 of them now and use them nearly exclusively save for the three Makairas that I have been using on the top end, and haven’t had to do anything more than what I listed above for the last two seasons.

I’m a very satisfied Avet customer myself.

That’s awesome Roger! How many Talicas do you have?

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
None Chris. Not really a debate on the virtues of Avet versus Talica - OP was asking about Avet reels. Not sure a Talica requires less maintenance, and haven’t seen a ton of complaints about broken Avet reels though.

I’ve seen enough Talicas on the boats to know that they have a loyal following and are a fine reel, I’m sure.

Feel free to share your experiences with excessive maintenance or broken reels - I’d be interested to hear why you feel that way as would others, I’m sure.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
I was sharing my experience and was not a put down on your reels.

I have Avets also along with Accurates and the Talicas. If I don’t stay on top of my maintenance, the Talicas have not punished me. When I take them apart they have had very little water intrusion; where as salt deposits made way into my Avets and my Accurates.

Eric plans to fish deep. I have had two Avets fail on me due to no touque bearing(non raptor MX).

So from my experience....the Talica has just been a more bulletproof product. They don’t have MC, color options, or the Raptor or Valiant drag power however.

And again....my vote for what Eric is looking for is a Tranx or Lexa.

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Eric.....I’m with you on baitcaster for bombing!

I think you couldn’t go wrong with a Tranx or Lexa.

As far as Avets....I agree that the only one I will own is the Raptor. Just a much better reel....but....the Avets are much more maintenance/fragile than the Talicas.

I imagine you have baitcasted steelhead forever....so no MC is needed.

Funny that you mentioned the Tranx and Lexa as those are the exact style of lower profile reel I was originally thinking would be perfect for what I'm wanting. I poked around a little at some retail stores asking questions and nobody seemed super sold on that style. And you're right about river fishing for salmon and steelhead...My preferred setup for the last 20+ years has been a Curado and 1306t Lami. I'm super comfortable with the lower profile feel of the reels. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll definitely take a look at them the next time I get to a store that carries them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
I have a Lexa 400hd for the same things you are doing. I have been happy with it. I am competent chucking with a conventional but can just bomb it with the lexa and it has plenty of grunt for inshore Lings the style I fish.

Upvote 0

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
Same opinion as many before, if primary use is to chuck swimbaits/poppers and/or jigging then the best reel is a spinning outfit. Daiwa is good, but my go to and big on east coast tuna is Shimano. I fish the Saragosa down here, which is perfect for all day use (light) and can handle fish up to 60# when you don’t need to use the rail.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
You can mag your own Avet for $5 in parts.

I dont think it worth paying for from factory alone. I also dont think 2speeds or Raptors are worth it unless your fishing 50lb and up.

To each their own.

Upvote 0