AVET MC CAST BAD FREE SPOOL

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by salty brain, Nov 16, 2012.

1. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    I got nine AVETS but only one mc cast.With the mc backed all the way off the mag still greatly slows the spool.Bearing are good.I know its the mag dragging the free spool down.Any one seen this ?

2. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    This is pretty common. If you weren't getting any free spool at all, then there's a problem. I think my SX MC still free spools for 10-15 seconds before it stops. Normal avets I could easily get 30 seconds of free spool. This still shouldn't affect castability though.

Jjt03 likes this.
  3. salty brain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    Haven't noticed any issues with it.Just when I was doing my end of year tear down I noticed the free spool,first year I had that reel.Guess I'm just use to the non mc reels.Thanks for the input.

4. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    No worries. Here's information directly from their website. I did a bit of researching when I found the same thing with my reels and thought there was a problem.

"Does the M.C. Cast affect free spool?
    You can also view our M.C.Cast videos HERE.

The M.C. Cast does not affect free spool, but it does generate a slight braking effect when the spool gets up to speed. The M.C. unit makes no contact with the spool at all, so the spool is totally free of any friction, and is only influenced by the eddy current created by the magnet when the spool spins fast. A common misconception when an M.C. equipped Avet is compared to an identical non M.C. Avet out of the box, or out of the display case at your dealer regarding free spool: Without line, the M.C. will not seem to spin as long as the non M.C. model. This is because the magnets' size and power are calibrated for the total mass of the spool WITH LINE. Without line, the empty aluminum spool is very light and is over-influenced by the powerful magnet. Once the reel is loaded with line and the overall mass of the spool is up to what the power of the magnet is designed for, the spool will spin much longer. Also keep in mind, the M.C. Cast generates near identical "braking" or "feathering" of the spool as your thumb would normally do while casting, and is designed to replace your thumb for this task. So, if you took an identical M.C. Avet and non M.C. Avet, both loaded with line, and spin the spools to casting speed, the M.C. reel will spin equally as long as the non M.C. with your thumb applied "feathering" the spool. Judging free spool / cast-ability by how long it spins, out of actual real fishing/casting application, is really misleading. In actuality, you cant cast a total free spool without back-lashing, which is why you have to thumb and feather the spool in real conditions. The M.C. Cast simply replaces your thumb and eliminates any "human error" encountered from real on the water conditions. A pitching boat, cramped space and an awkward casting angle, bumping elbows with fellow anglers..even adrenaline, have a direct effect on the subtleties of thumbing a spinning spool, even with the most "educated" thumb. The M.C. Cast is consistent every time."

Jjt03 likes this.
  5. salty brain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    It was never explained to me like that,good info.I didn't think about the spool weight.Just learned some thing new.Thanks a lot.

6. Grayson Lanier

Grayson Lanier Turd collector

Name:
    Grayson Lanier
    Boat:
    The mighty bass hunter
    Clean and relube spool bearings with quality oil. All avets come with all the bearings slam full of grease

7. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    A giant paperweight keeping my driveway from blowin away
    Avet casting reels spool bearings are not greased...never have been. The spool bearings are oiled with single seals. The other 6 bearings are double sealed with grease.

8. Grayson Lanier

Grayson Lanier Turd collector

Name:
    Grayson Lanier
    Boat:
    The mighty bass hunter
    Mine must have been a special case then.......

9. Spongerider

Spongerider The Fish Monger

Name:
    Dean O.
    Boat:
    39', Fountain, The Michael.
    I had a similar problem too (SX Raptor). Stock free spool on #1 setting would get 10 to 12 sec. free spool. I took the MC apart and grided the magnet down half way and reinstalled. I now get about 20 sec. of free spool on #1 setting and as I increase the MC the spool decreases in free spool. Now my SX Raptor cast as good my BX2-400N. If you need help doing this modification PM me and I can send you pictures on how to.

I hope that helps you out.

10. salty brain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    Well we think a like, took the mag out went to work shaved it down,now it's spinning the way I like it.Thanks guys