Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Hey guys,

I have the magnet from a Magic Cast reel available, the magnet only, not the magic cast adjustment knob or any other part of the MC assembly.

I removed from my MC reel to improve freespool, the magnet is a little scratched from the teeth of my vise grips used to pull the magnet out of the housing, but is still 100% functional.

Just an fyi, I was getting 6-8 seconds of freespool with magnet on the lowest setting, not able to cast live bait very well, but worked well with jigs. After the magnet was removed I got 1 min and 10 seconds of freespool.

The magnet is free, I will cover shipping as well.

Please PM me if you are interested.

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
I am curious, has your cast improved without the magnet? Freespool time is one thing, casting is different IMO. Inquiring minds want to know.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I just took it out two days ago, have not fished it yet. I removed it because I was having a difficult time casting small sardines and anchovies this past season, the spool reacted with the magnet, in my opinion too strongly, and slowed it too quickly. Also checked out a couple floor models at Baja Fish Gear and the models with MC did not slow down as fast as my reel did. Like I said, the MC worked great with jigs, never had a problem casting them, but lighter baits did not work for me.

Confirmed this notion with the Avet rep who was at 22nd St. Landing, Day at the Landing. I asked him about myself having difficulties casting small baits and he said there is some variation to the magnets and their general strength from reel to reel, and exclaimed some reels with MC will not cast small baits well, as compared to the non-MC models. That is when I decided to remove it.

Mike Myers

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Name
Mike Myers
Boat
16' Whaler
You must have a well calibrated thumb. I still need the magnate. I like to get rods with a softer tip for the reels with magnates. works better for me. Dig the avets.

rookie angler

Jun 2, 2009
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
Why not work out a trade with someone for a non-mc or keep the magnet in case u decide to sell the reel later? It'll be worth more with the magnet to someone.

eddiefishtaco

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Buddy the reel may be to big for live bait casting, get a darn Penn Squall 15 to cast sardines a country mile, set the magnet 1/4
On a 700 m, and watch them fly, and, they will run like it was the fastest sardine in the tank on the Squall's light spool. Try a1/0 hook and fill the sac fast you'll love me for that info. Send me the magnet. I'll find a reel for it.

mike1010

Almost A Member
Feb 17, 2013
SUMMIT
Name
Michael
Boat
none
Yeah, I had an MXL/MC that I got rid of for two reasons. First, as you say, it is impossible to throw light stuff with the loss of free spool from MC. Second, for the kind of fishing that I do the MXL has a silly amount of line capacity considering its modest drag numbers.

I now have an SX and an SXJ, both non-MC. They are better proportioned for my use. Casting mono is no problem, but without the MC, casting braid is, ahem, challenging. It's an imperfect world.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I am a good caster, no more no less, I can cast those same small baits on an SL20SH, SL30SH, and Penn 975 no problem (I know, slightly smaller reels with lighter spools), so that is why the issue with MC derived.

I just may keep it, I bought this one off of the BST forums here, 1.5 years ago, because it was purple, matched my Seeker 270H-8 with purple and green wrapping, I did not purchase the reel for magic cast, rather my own vanity. Difficult to find a purple Avet in general, then working out a trade for the same color minus MC...So I may just keep the magnet, as you suggested, in case of future sale.

I 100% agree with you Eddie, I have no problem on my Daiwa SLOSH, reels similar to the squall and fully capable. I will know for sure when I test it out this season, have a 5 day on the SOA in June.

I have read a few random forum posts (other sites) where people state the MC slows the reel too much for small baits. Someone stated that Avet also confirmed this at the Fred Hall casting lagoon, Avet rep said the NON-MC reels cast farther, the MC only helps prevent backlashes. Also heard people complain about Raptors not having models that come without MC, for the same reason of casting issues.

Thanks for the comments guys. I feel my issue may be anecdotal to my reel.

EDIT: I originally wanted an SX or SXJ, but they would not fit on my particular rod, deckhand, so the SXJ was out, and the rod too thick for the SX, I know both would have been great casters for light baits.