Avet lx older model casting problem

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by sharkman gary, Jun 18, 2014.

1. sharkman gary

sharkman gary Keeper Catcher

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Don't have one :(
    Hey guys I have a problem with my avet lx older model not the one with the shark. The one that says avet reels. Well when casting this thing doesn't go much far at all. When you cast it feels like it has cast control and it slows down really fast right away. Like say.for example you cast and say the cast makes the vvvvvv sound well when casting this reel it.goes vv vv vv vv vv then it just lands. Can you guys help me out please? By the way I did get.new bearings so it isn't the bearings.

2. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Sounds like the drag washer is engaging. Take off the side plate and have a peak.

3. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    It could be that there is excess grease on the edge of the spool. This will reduce free spool significantly.

@-EZ likes this.
  4. vikebrian84

vikebrian84 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    I would open the reel up, avets are very simple and easy to maintain, check for excess grease especially where the spool meets the frame and see if theres anything going on on the spool shaft. Also check the bearings and make sure theyre spinning correctly and theres no corrosion inside. If you have to order new bearings I recommend Boca bearings. If you take the shields off the spool bearings and re grease with TSI oil it will spin VERY well. Check out Alan Tani's website, there is a detailed breakdown of a LX there that you can reference.

5. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    A giant paperweight keeping my driveway from blowin away
    You may have the drag pre-set knob tightened beyond the drag range the reel is designed for. That reel tops off at 15# at strike. Beyond that, it will not fully freespool when the lever is backed off.

Also, make sure you are pulling the lever all the way back to the free position, not the bait position. Another thing to check is to make sure the cam under the lever was re-installed correctly. Some of the older LX's have a square shaft end with a square hole in the cam. The cam will have 3 pins. Pull the cam from the shaft and rotate it 90 degrees and re- install it on the shaft. This will correct the timing (if it was off, of course).
    If the cam timing was off, the strike position would now be where the bait position is, and wont back off to freespool.

6. sharkman gary

sharkman gary Keeper Catcher

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Don't have one :(
    I will have to check it out. Thank you guys!