AVET LX G2 drag problem

Kokayak

Oct 11, 2020
Sonora, CA
Name
David Kratville
Boat
Valco
I bought a new AVET Lx G2 in hopes of fishing 50-60 lbs. I was aiming for 17lbs of drag at strike which seems reasonable with the advertised specs of 21lbs and 28lbs at max. So I spooled it up with 600 yards of Threadlock braid and about 100’ of 60lbs mono which left plenty of room on the spool. When I go to set the drag the most I can get at strike is about 13lbs and that’s with poor freespool. My G1 JX will easily hit 15 lbs and still free spools for days and that’s with a FULL spool of line. Rather than an upgrade I have poorer performance than my G1. Any suggestions other than sending it back?

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Have the grease cleaned out of the bearings and replace with oil.

K
Kokayak
How would that increase the drag? It is not a grease issue with the free spool. I’m 1-2 clicks away from bottoming out the drag adjustment. That’s literally all the reel will put out. The drag is starting to engage when the lever is totally disengaged back to normal freespool. I can crank the handle and reel in line with the lever at freespool.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Kokayak

Oct 11, 2020
Sonora, CA
Name
David Kratville
Boat
Valco
Tore the reel down again and after looking at the G1 vs G2 schematics they put it together with the Belleville washers in the old configuration ()() I switched them to the G2 schematic configuration (()) and it works perfectly. 17lbs at strike and a little over 20 at max with tons of drag adjustment and freespool left.

Reactions: gved823 and Cubeye
Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    The orientation of the Belleville washers is highly variable even on reels with the same designation (like JX 6/3). I have yet to find an Avet with them incorrectly installed from the factory. I HAVE regularly found that some folks remove them, read the diagrams and are unhappy with the drag pressure or freespool. Once again, leave everything at the bottom of the spool exactly as it is when you bought it. Remove and play with anything else at your pleasure, not those Belleville washers.

Reactions: AKSalmon
    Upvote 0

Latest posts