AVET HXW Raptor 3-Speed -VS- Accurate ATD 12

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Versital, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    I'm looking to build my dream High-end offshore rig to use for Tuna, bottom fishing, Slow Jigs and Live Bait. I dont plan on doing much casting other than 250g-450g flat fall jigs. I'm not rich but have no problem spending top dollar for my passion toys as I have thousands in custom Guitars, amps, and custom Mountain Bikes. Why not have a $1,400 offshore Rig and I do whats needed to get it, work 2nd part-time, overtime, Sell Ebay, whatever. So its not about what is cheaper or value!! I recently bought my dream Rod a very stout 6ft. G.Loomis HLBR72-50C Halibut Rod with the graphite Roller guide and Tip. I've always wanted one for over 7 years but have been using Shimano Terez rods, okuma, and St.Croix. I finally ordered it and I am now looking for the perfect reel. I currently have several hi-end reels between $400-$600 from Shimano, Daiwa, and Truth and was thinking about getting a PENN International 30VSW in Silver. I wanted something big with lots of torque and line capacity and I love the way it felt in my hands but not the weight. Someone recommended the AVET HXW and in my research I narrowed it down to the HXW Raptor 3 and while doing so have since fell head over heels with the Accurate ATD 12. I love its entire concept and build design even though I have never held one in person because no dealers in my state keep in stock. I"m torn between the lighter weight, 3 speed option, high line capacity, and ergonomics of the AVET vs the Pure Engineering brilliants of the Accurate ATD 12. Any suggestions??

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Your question has a lot going on! First, The Penn 30VSW is a much bigger and heavier reel than ether the HXW Raptor or ATD 12. (And in my mind the 30SVW is simply too big for halibut, even Alaskan brutes.) Comparing the Raptor and ATD 12: Both are fine reels with enough drag for just about anything. On my March trip, at least one cow tuna was caught on each reel; there were no 30VSW's on the boat. Personally, I don't think a 3 speed is necessary on an HXW but I suspect I'd use all three gears if I had them.

3. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    I pretty much ruled the PENN 30VSW out of the equation and in doing so, also ruled out the Accurate ATD 30T and AVET EX30 class reels. I like the ATD 12 because it gives me the Feel of having a big 30 size reel but in a smaller and lighter package. My only attraction to the AVET is weight (27-32oz). The line capacity and Extra 3rd low gear is the Bonus. Despite the Accurate specification I see many post of people loading the ATD 12 up with 500 yards of 80/100lb braid plus top shot leader so I feel that's plenty of line for where I'll be fishing and what I want to catch. So I guess my biggest concern is weight. I hate to buy one or the other and have regrets so I must rely on people who have access and experience with both. I don't buy Guitars based on weight, my main Guitar has a carbon fiber backing to allow hollow chambers and is heavier than most solid body guitars and at some point had a retail price of $7K. I have no complaints and get offers all the time to sell it. So with 41oz reel, 10oz heavier than AVET I get mixed advice from people saying its too heavy or you can cast it all day no problem. (I can't cast my G.Loomis boat stick w/roller tip anyway). Most of the retail sales guys tell me AVET is the better choice but not sure if they are basing it on price or their availability to play with them.

4. finsane

finsane I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    You might consider the Penn 16 or 30 vsx

5. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    So, basically you've got a 6' - 50# rod. Seems to me your choices are a bit overmatched to the rod. How about a LX 6/3 Raptor?

6. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I think you'll find that the Avet takes less maintenance and is easier to work on.

strackle99 likes this.
  7. TanstaaflSD

TanstaaflSD Member

Name:
    Tanstaafl
    Boat:
    n/a
    If you goal is a great 50 pound Halibut rig, then I would look at a used Avet 4/02 which are all over Alaska catching Halibut....
    and then start for a new rod/reel with an about 7 ft rod with a great reel..... I suggest either the HXW x3 Raptor or the Makaira 20SEa or the Accurate or Penn on a Seeker 1x3 or CalStar or United or such 60 or 80 pound rod.
    SUGGESTION: I think if you tell the site what size and species and where and which fishing platforms (priv boat, long range, or ??? you will seek you will get amazingly good advice.

Vernonia, Olddog8 and skotz like this.
  8. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    First I wanted this Halibut rod because it has the graphite roller + tip and cant find any other rod maker with this config, and i like GLoomis. Most Halibut rods make good tuna rods. I'm in Texas and I will be using on 36hour Tuna trips targeting Black and Yellow fin Tuna up to #150 and other large bottom fish on party boats. I also will be using on private charter trips in Florida, California, and Hawaii on vacation trips.

9. TanstaaflSD

TanstaaflSD Member

Name:
    Tanstaafl
    Boat:
    n/a
    Ervin,
    I didn't mean to be abrupt with the 4/02 suggestion. As a newbie I defer to my more experienced bros on this site. GLomis makes great rods and the roller strip/roller tip is an often winning guide system, also avail from Seeker, Calstar, United, etc.
    My observation is that many folks develop a (1) Bottom / Trolling reel/rod and a separate reel/rod set-up for (2) bait/iron/slide use. Not to make you a "tackle 'ho" but think about form (selection) following function and possibly going for 2 set-ups. Gurus, what do you suggest? Tom

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Olddog8 likes this.
  10. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I have to agree with Garry, here. The two reels you've asked about deserve something rated for 80-100 lb topshots and I don't see that line as compatible with those lightweight roller guides.

How do you plan on rigging up? Will you be backing your reel with braid and if so what lb test, how much? A reel like the LX or even a JX would be great for your G Loomis rod. Think braid to mono or fluoro topshot connection. An inserted connection with something like 60 lb hollow makes sense. Nail knots.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. Vernonia

Vernonia Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Jon boat
    My 2 cent opinion, the LX Raptor is the most under rated reel in the Avet Raptor arsenal. It's my 50lb reel with 80lb backing, I've changed the top shot down to 30 & up to 60lb without a hitch.
    I don't have "big hands" but I find it very castable.
    I have the whole line up & find its the reel I go for when you need a easy to handle winch with big power.

Olddog8 likes this.
  12. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I have a bunch of Raptors, MXJ to HXW 3-speed and a few Accurates, penn, shimano, and Okuma's. I don't have ATD's (I chose Makaira's instead) but I did have a topless ATD 30 and 50 as loaner gear on a 17 day trip. The ATD's are beasts, as are the MAK's, I have no complaints about them other than I really struggled to cast the ATD's. I bought the Raptor HXW 3-speed for my ability to cast a live sardine with it, plus it holds a ton of spectra. The Raptor is a very capable reel but not as beefy as the ATD 12, the ATD 12 is heavier though and a smaller diameter spool.
    You said you wanted a reel to fish flatfalls with, neither of the two reels you mentioned would be my choice to fish flatfalls or any deep jig with. Both of those reels are too wide, guiding the line back on the reel while reeling (sometimes fast) is a pain in the ass.
    As others have pointed out, those are 80lb++ reels not 50lb reels unless you are fishing straight mono line with no spectra - I fished one overnight trip in Florida and they did not want to see spectra, only mono. If straight 50lb mono, the HX 2speed or a MAK 16 would be my choice for flatfalls with that size tuna a possibility. ATD wise for straight mono, the 6 is too small, the 12 is too wide (and holds the same amount of line as a standard HX), and the topless 30 is too much reel.
    Just my 2-cents, I'm not in your shoes so don't know exactly how everything applies.

ripped likes this.
  13. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    My Current rig was a Shimano Trinidad 30A with a Shimano Terez 6'6" X-Heavy 65-200lb rod loaded with +400yds #80 Powerpro Hollowace with 15ft #80 Yo-Zuri Flurocarbon Leader. I plan to keep it #80 or move up to #100.

I was originally going to get the LX reel but decided on the Shimano 30A a few years ago. This was my main reel until my last trip where I really needed a lower gear to handle the fish quicker and I felt like I was fighting my reel more than the fish. My Gloomis rod even though its a #50 it is stiffer than my Terez rod. looks to have better construction and lifetime Warranty. so don't expect me to load nothing less than #80.

So in getting a new reel I wanted to upgrade to something bigger if if I stayed with Shimano I would get a Talica 2 25 but I want to go American this time With AVET or Accurate. I'm also now looking at the Accurate BX2-30

IMG_5082.JPG

Olddog8 likes this.
  14. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I think that rod is for reels set from 10-20#'s of drag. Granted that is sufficient for SD tuna, the HXW 3spd could break that rod if the drag is not set by a scale.

I broke my 40# bait rod using 25#'s of drag on a tuna last year on a HX raptor, so I upgraded to the 100# Axis

Good luck.

Olddog8 likes this.
  15. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    We'll I decided on getting the Accurate Dauntless 600 over all the above mentioned. The Dauntless series is considered to be the Accurate Flagship while the ATD is just the HD line and come to find out over 1/2 the cost of the $1100 reel ($600) was just the fabrication cost making the 1 piece aluminum Drag preset assembly of which looks cool but I would probably not use much. Take it out of the equation and you're left with a $500 reel equal to the Boss Extream series just bigger sizes with more drag. So I moved up to the Dauntless 600 for $699 and got $40 off from Tackle Express and it is a smooth and light rig that looks like it came with the rod from the Factory. Compared to my Shimano TA-30 it is slightly taller and wider and the spool looks smaller but after loading my original string saved from my Shimano I still had over 100 yard more room. I'll invest in a large spool of hollow braid prior to my next trip but will continue to use my old line to break in and fine tune at the lake.

Finally, I was a little disappointed that my Accurate reel wasn't as buttery smooth out of the box like my Shimano was. You can actually feel and hear the gears meshing on the inside as you crank. I was told after break-in it will get smoother over time while the Avet and Shimano will only be smoothest out the box and get rougher and looser over time. After I loaded with line and did a retrieve in the water at the lake, it felt very smooth, powerful, and confident like switching from a mid-size truck to a Superduty Diesel to pull a trailer.

IMG_5797.JPG

Access likes this.
  16. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    Top Comparison

IMG_5803.JPG

17. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    Side Comparison

IMG_5804.JPG

18. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    Gear box side comparison

IMG_5817.JPG IMG_5806.JPG

19. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
  20. Versital

Versital Newbie

Name:
    Ervin Williams
    Boat:
    Offshore
    GLoomis Halibut HLBR72-50 Rod with Accurate Dauntless 600, very balance match!!

IMG_5793.JPG

aguachico likes this.