Hillbillymad

I’ve posted I enough I can change this
Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
I feel the the hx raptor would be the better option just because it’s narrow. I don’t think I need the line capacity of the hxw

PL_Fisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
I feel the the hx raptor would be the better option just because it’s narrow. I don’t think I need the line capacity of the hxw
You do, even if you don’t think so. The HX and HXW Raptor is a 60-100lb reel And the fish you’re going to be pulling need the capacity, without a doubt. What’s the reason of having a beefed up reel if you’re never going to fish it to the heavier duties it was meant for. It’s like building out a 72 gto only to put 180mm tires on it

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
The HXR will hold 600 yards filled to the brim. The HXWr will hold a couple hundred more. Specifically targeting cows, I would get the HXW for the extra line capacity and ease of mind. Get it filled at a proper shop with proper tension with a thin 80 or 100 lb braid. and for flat falls tie on some 200 or 300lb mono or fluoro. Set the drag properly and put it on a rod that can handle heavy drag and the weight of a big fish. Best Low cost rod probably pch741XXXXh. Graftechs seem good also

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
HXW raptor. 700yds of 100# izor hollow, 100# mono windon. 27# of drag. 145# bft on a way back mac. 30 minutes with no problem, Phenix axis XXH.

There's only 150 yd difference between the 2 reels. They both will be fine, depending if you are on a sporty or not.

Reactions: richardblufin

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
I just got a 250 on a flatfall deep, maybe 350 feet, while the jig was stopped, tangled with the guy next to me, bit during the untangling.. Got it on Avet 30 with 100 lb mono to 100lb braid and a 1x3 and pulled as hard as ever. Mean fish. I wouldn't fish anything less than HX-W Rapt. I think you need the extra capacity for some 100lb mono. The good thing is the HXW Rapt has a higher drag potential than the 30/2 I used (50lb vs 40lb). Make sure to set a high drag at strike (30lb) but dont go all the way to strike until later in the battle. Good luck!

Mike

TopGun80 Oct 24 2020.jpeg

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Accurate ATD FTW

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
I have both, and while I’m confident using the HX in that application, I’ve also never wished I had smaller/lighter gear when fighting a large tuna.

If you’re going to have 1 big fish rig I’d go with the HXW. It’s wider but not awkwardly wide.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Why limit to HXr and HXWr though?? If you are serious about big tuna just spend a little more and get a Makaira 16 or VISX 16, the heavier frame and gears will really come into play on a big fish. The HXWr and HXr are med frame reels and not ideal for very large tuna. If your specifically going after those 200-300lb tuna, get a Makaira or VISX 20.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Above my HX's I have an Avet 50. 130# hollow, 200# windons. It's for the Flyer and Floater.

Hillbillymad

Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
I’m not specifically targeting 300 pounders but how it’s been you don’t know if it’s gonna be 80 or 380

Ventura Bill

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Been watching this and similar posts regarding renting / buying "big" blue fin gear (my heaviest set up is a Metalloid 12 on 6470 that I use for 50#).

From what I've gathered the only difference between all these reels is line capacity - essentially the same reel but just holds more line.

Is there any need for 80# 100# and 130# set ups? If the chance of me hooking a cow is there why would I buy / bring an 80# reel and not the 130# reel.

At this level (and price) where (what size) is the best place to start?

Thanks

HBtails

Nov 5, 2018
HB
Name
HBfish
Boat
Stinky Jig
I absolutely love my HXWR 3-speed for cranking on flat falls at depth. The 47 inches of retrieve make it a breeze.

Both myself and my brother have one and they have handled 100-200 bluefin easy. Hoping to test it on cows this Saturday. They are both on HAX760X3H, more worried about the rod than that reel.

Last edited:

Hillbillymad

Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
I absolutely love my HXWR 3-speed for cranking on flat falls at depth. The 47 inches of retrieve make it a breeze.

Both myself and my brother have one and they have handled 100-200 bluefin easy. Hoping to test it on cows this Saturday. They are both on HAX760X3H, more worried about the rod than that reel.
Good luck it’s been a crazy week

Reactions: HBtails

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
you dont need it until you do then its too late. depends on what “big tuna” means

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I just got back from a 6 day on the Shogun and guys were catching 200lb, 250lb and even a 330lb on the flatfalls. I was using an HXW Raptor with 100lb Jerry Brown spectra and I felt way undergunned. My brother had an HXW raptor 3 speed with 100lb spectra with a uni to uni knot about 300 ft down and he was really nervous. For our next trip in about 4 weeks we are going to go with 135lb spectra for the extra insurance. These big fish make huge circles when you are fighting them and there are a lot of tangles and a good possibility that the line can rub on the hull especially when you are fighting the fish in the dark.
I fished bait with an HX raptor with 100lb spectra and 80lb fluro but I'm pretty sure that there were fish out there that could have spooled me with no problem. A one point in the trip guys were hooking some 50lb and 60lb fish and I made the mistake of tossing out a bait on my MXL raptor with 65 spectra and 40lb fluro. I got bit but I also got spooled in about 30 seconds. Another guy on the trip got spooled on a Talica 16 with 60lb line. There are some 50lb and 60lb fish out there but there are also some 200lb and 300lb fish in the mix.
If you are using an HX or HXW it has to be the raptor version to even stand a chance and 100lb spectra is about the minimum that you should be using.

Reactions: Cubeye

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Been watching this and similar posts regarding renting / buying "big" blue fin gear (my heaviest set up is a Metalloid 12 on 6470 that I use for 50#).

From what I've gathered the only difference between all these reels is line capacity - essentially the same reel but just holds more line.

Is there any need for 80# 100# and 130# set ups? If the chance of me hooking a cow is there why would I buy / bring an 80# reel and not the 130# reel.

At this level (and price) where (what size) is the best place to start?

Thanks
Short answer, yes, you at least need an 100lb outfit with a max drag of at least 40lb.

Reactions: Ventura Bill

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Avet 30 will serve your needs much better than the raptors. Bulletproof. I own an avet HX raptor and it is not as good as the avet 30 ex for these fish.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Avet 30 will serve your needs much better than the raptors. Bulletproof. I own an avet HX raptor and it is not as good as the avet 30 ex for these fish.
I checked my Avet 30/2 vs HXW raptor and it wasn't close. The max drag I got on the 30 was 35lb but no Freespool. On the HXWR, I got 50+ and still Freespool. Bottom line, HXWR with 100lb is way to go.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I checked my Avet 30/2 vs HXW raptor and it wasn't close. The max drag I got on the 30 was 35lb but no Freespool. On the HXWR, I got 50+ and still Freespool. Bottom line, HXWR with 100lb is way to go.
you fish that much drag on a medium frame reel there is a big chance of a failure, that's pushing the limits. The exw can fish higher drag with ease, the hxwr is a good reel, but it's still medium frame so you can't use it as hard as a heavy. I had a HXWr for a while, nice reels but I upgraded to a Mak 20sea.

Reactions: Haly0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
More drag, less strong reel. The clicker will stick on the HX, and I've seen them freeze up on bigger fish (only once, saw a makaira 15 do it too). But the people I know that have HXW and normal cow reels definitely favor the cow reels. I rarely have trouble with the Avet ex pro reels and I have 4 of them that I fish regularly, 2 30 and 2 30w. I also have an HX, HXJ raptor and a HX raptor. I've had 2 of those that needed service for drag issues. I do love the raptor reels, but they still are a little temperamental. I've had my sx raptor since it they came out, but I've had the bearings changed twice. I have 2 JX raptors, and one I put through a 4 hour heavyweight fight and it worked flawlessly. All that said, the 30 ex is the most dependable and best value to strength ratio.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
So here's my issue with the 30. I got a 260 bft on one last week which is obviously awesome. Bu I was having a hard time up and down maxing out the drag. When I got back home I tested it and it maxed at 30 lb as I said, and that's with no Freespool. I've also caught cows on my avet50. So not sure why the drag is so limited on the 30. Again, not so on the HXWR.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
So here's my issue with the 30. I got a 260 bft on one last week which is obviously awesome. Bu I was having a hard time up and down maxing out the drag. When I got back home I tested it and it maxed at 30 lb as I said, and that's with no Freespool. I've also caught cows on my avet50. So not sure why the drag is so limited on the 30. Again, not so on the HXWR.
That's not the problem, sure the drag on the HXWr is incredibly high, I remember testing mine and getting 39lbs at strike. The problem with useing over 25lbs on that reel is, it's medium frame... It's ganna heat up, a LOT. If your fishing over 30lbs of drag on an hxw raptor and that fish is pissed taking over 300yrds in that first run, the reel will reach like 200 degrees and you won't even be able to touch that drag. The hxw raptors are nice 100lb reels and there is a nice chance of landing a cow but if you fish it like a heavy frame reel, it's not ganna hold up...
Like I have said many times, if you want a TRUE cow reel with super robust frames you want a VISX 20, you can get more drag on that reel and actually be able to fish it. If not a Visx 20 then a Makaira 20 which is slightly larger. Both are true cow reels and much better than either of those Avets..

Reactions: Haly0