Avet for irons

dave2375

Aug 5, 2012
Whittier
Name
Dave
Boat
fish cat 4
Why don't people throw irons on avets without the cast control. You can throw far without it without backlashes. Just a quick question

Upvote 0

forefrazier

Captain
Jun 14, 2007
OC
Name
Steve Frazier
Boat
Cabo 226
I can answer that since I am one of those "people". I do not prefer them simply because there is no lip on the spool and since the JX size that I was using for iron tossing had a heavier aluminum spool, it almost seemed to overun the line on top unless it was packed perfectly back onto the spool each time. Backlashes were consistent and seem to come from a couple layers down in the line pack. I am no expert but can through a jig a ways with a Newell, Trini, Saltist, etc. since I like to control the spool with my thumb on the spool itself not the line.

Upvote 0

yft1979

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
I fish my ulua with a jx6/3 self magged. Casts nicely.

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
cast control is for newbies. You can throw irons with avets/accurates and any other lever drag reels. The more you fish the better you'll get at it.
Some of the old school deckies in SD can throw swimbaits with trolling gear using 60/80 lb test. The better ones can even cast the trolling feather. There's an old technique where you bump the spool with your thumb prior to release to get the spool going. A lot of the older guys will know how to do this. It's kind of a lost technique now since the reels have become smaller and stronger with the use of braid.
The bump technique is not required with accurates and avets b/c the reels are much smaller now than they were before.

Upvote 0