Avet dissapointments

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by kgpcr, Jun 11, 2013.

1. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    My buddy bought an Avet LX 6/3 when I was up in Alaska last summer. He wanted a "good" halibut reel. He fished it about 10 times. Each time we went out we dipped our reels in a bucket of cool water and gave them a good rinse. Just a week or so ago he got out his gear and his LX cranked hard. He was going to send it back but was in a hurry as he was going on a trip in a few days so he took it in to a reel repair shop in Anchorage. The guy took it apart and told him he needed new bearings. Well 73.00 later his reel is working. Dave watched the guy fix it and he had a bunch of Avet bearing in stock and told Dave that "he goes through a ton of them". What a disappointment! Yes he could have sent it to Avet but he did not have time nor should he have had to. Bad bearings on a new reel is just not acceptable. Then another friend of mine bought an Avet 30/2 at the sports show in Anchorage and he has issues with getting it to freespool no matter how the drag is set. Not a good run of luck LOL. Do they make bearing that are better than stock bearings?

2. 4bruce

4bruce Member

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    goldfish
    You dont know how to take care your reel. never never dipped in water.

3. Derfsondeck

Derfsondeck DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    73.00 bucks?Your buddy got burned.Eric fully services mine and puts in new bearings for like 32.00 bucks.

4. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Just wash the reel off with a spray bottle. A little salt away or similar product will help. But never dunk the reel in water, it will ruin the barrings.

5. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    X1000

6. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    Really? we just rinsed them in a bucket. I have a ton of other reels I do that with all the time and have NEVER went through a bearing yet. If a dip in fresh water ruins the bearings I am done with Avet! I have done that to my Penn's and Fin Nor for years and Dave has done that with his Shimano's and no other bearing problems. Once in a while a lube job but that is it. I wonder why the reel repair shop told him that he goes through so many bearings for Avet's? Derfsndeck it sounds like you have replaced bearing before and I hear that all the time with Avet. You would think they could make a better bearing. Like I said I have not went through bearings on my other reels. Just sayin

7. Derfsondeck

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    Replace em every other season.does not bother me in the least.A little differtent for me thjough.Ive been going to the Avet Factory(40 mins away)fior 9 years.Just stared having Eric do them this season and i'm very pleased so far.

8. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    never dip my reels, your buddy got ripped off - you should be mad at the shop that ripped you off. Nerveless, alaska has a lot of big fish and a reel can see a lot of action. If fishing big halibut on a regular basis, get the hx raptor - tougher system. The bearings go bad if you abuse your reel, fish the drags higher than you should, or catch tooo many fish LOL

9. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    On my Jx and MXL's there are some open bearings. These reels are super easy to tear down, clean and reassemble. After you do it a few times it takes like 15 minutes from start to finish. I have read that when the wash water evaporates inside the reel any minerals or contaminates in the rinse water will build up in the spoolshaft and bearings. They are bad ass reels and need a little attention sometimes. I have never replaced bearings in 7 years of ownership. That includes (3) 30 2 speeds, a jx 6/4, 2 MXL's and (1) sx mc 2 speed. I've cussed at them and cleaned them alot but never replaced bearings. It's probably time to replace a few bearings at this point but I still get adequate free-spool and they kick ass like new after a good cleaning.

And Fred is right...you got corn-hole-e-o'ed at $73.00.

10. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    not reading the owners manual can be expensive......a drop of oil here or there in the right spots and some of my avets are ten years old with original bearings....lay you rod and reels against a wall outside stand back ten feet and spray liberaly with fresh water but let it fall like rain not stream into the reel...let them dry and a drop or two of the oil that comes in the box(yeah that's why they put it in there) does your truck need a rebuilt engine at 100 k too?

11. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    He did get cornholed for what he paid but he needed the reel. Is that the issue or is the issue needing bearings after only using 10 times? If after using it 8-10 times and dunking it a few times in fresh water means you need new bearings then you have a piss poor reel if that is common. Just my .02

12. Derfsondeck

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    Yeah but thats not the case..He must have soaked them not"dunked"them I was told from the get go not to dunk my reels.Like i said i change my bearings every other season and I fish a lot AND ABUSE THE SHIT OUT MY GEAR.Every one I know uses them and has no problems.Avets are made in LA and the people who make them are employed in America.I try not to support Japanese made stuff.Kinda hard but I try.

13. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    not really....the reels are machined with tight tolerances and the bearings are oil with light oil to achieve the great freespool....you just can't treat them like a real with brass bushings and heavy grease .....donuts are for dunking avets like a light rain and a spot of oil

14. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Rep I met at the Avet plant said that on his LR charters he puts a 5 gal. bucket of fresh water on the deck each night & encourages everyone to dip thier Avets in for a quick back & forth swish then out - no more than a few seconds. Surprised me too.

15. Delta Mike

Delta Mike You like soup?

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    "I wish"
    But are people tightening the drag down before doing this? This is what I was told to do before dunking them. I still don't dunk them, but just rinse them off with a strong stream of water with the drag tightened down and let them air dry.....

16. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    If you dunk them....make sure you have the drag buttoned down....a quick dip in water and salt X and then a drop of oil on the parts that need them works wonders....some guys work on their own cars and some just abuse the hell out of them and wonder why it doesn't work....your reel is an investment...take care of the damn thing and it will last a very long time. It doesn't matter what the reel is....same process for all of em....works for me but then again I service my own reels

17. fishhunt

fishhunt Newbie

Name:
    paul bukewihge
    Boat:
    23' sunrunner big un's
    bearings are graded in classes some high class high speed bearings cant take any abuse or you will have failure, nobody makes their own bearing the cost is to high a good bearing house will have the same ones or better for the application tell them that they are in contact with salt water and find out what they say .
    sounds like the wrong bearing material to me they should last way longer

18. peesherman

peesherman Newbie

Name:
    Newellie
    Boat:
    -
    has your buddy ever owned an Avet before? Your next answer will solve the mystery of him having to replace his bearings...

19. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I do not recommend the LX for halibut in my shop. It's a 40# reel and using 80# spectra and setting the drag at 20# or 25# will ruin the pinion bearing almost immediately. That will make the handle hard to turn and make the lever hard to push. The LX Raptor is fine although the high gear is pretty useless if you are fishing much more than about a pound of weight. The HX is good for halibut, especially if you get the optional 4:1/2:1 gear set.

20. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    It was his first one and it will be his last one. In fact I think he is going to sell it. He has penn internationals that he has had for years and has not had any problems. He bought his girlfriend a Penn International 2speed three years ago and has not even taken that in for cleaning yet. I was there when the reels were dunked. Just a quick dip in a bucket like he did with his Penn's. He takes hi Penn's in every few years for a cleaning and that's about it.