joshua cunningham

Fresh One!!
Jul 14, 2015
Salem, OR
Name
Josh
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme
Just purchased a new to me (used) jx 2 speed, what should I replace in the reel, i own other avets that I have purchased brand new so I have not had to go through them. I notice horrible free spool on this reel and an odd sound when in strike and testing the drag. Sounds like a bearing or washer? Any suggestions Thank You in advance.

Upvote 0

Drago

Almost A Member
Mar 7, 2015
Name
Alex
Boat
Any
Just purchased a new to me (used) jx 2 speed, what should I replace in the reel, i own other avets that I have purchased brand new so I have not had to go through them. I notice horrible free spool on this reel and an odd sound when in strike and testing the drag. Sounds like a bearing or washer? Any suggestions Thank You in advance.

Most likely a bearing, I always replace mine or my friends if they buy it off someone

But also take it apart and check to make sure parts are assembled properly while replacing bearing.

Reactions: joshua cunningham
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    It's more than bearings. I'll bet you have salt and corrosion build up on the spool and drag washer. I say this because of the odd sound when in strike. But I'm sure you need bearings too. These are great and reliable reels but they do need at least annually maintenance and a daily rinse.

Reactions: joshua cunningham
    Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
    May 12, 2009
    Menifee, CA United States
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
    Just got mine back from Avet. Had an anti-reverse issue. $39.00 service replaced all the bearings, cleaned and lubed, & fixed the anti-reverse problem.
    May be worth sending it to them for the $39.00 service for all new bearings. If anything else is wrong they will fix as well.
    Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Just got mine back from Avet. Had an anti-reverse issue. $39.00 service replaced all the bearings, cleaned and lubed, & fixed the anti-reverse problem.
    May be worth sending it to them for the $39.00 service for all new bearings. If anything else is wrong they will fix as well.
    Just a thought.

Sound advice there..

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

CS25

Sep 23, 2017
    Santa Clarita
    Name
    Cory
    Boat
    Knot Guilty
    Bearings. Send it to Avet for a service. My JX had the same issue. Just gets some build up and grit inside the reel over time. A service will make it like new. Best $40 you'll ever spend!

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Bearings. Send it to Avet for a service. My JX had the same issue. Just gets some build up and grit inside the reel over time. A service will make it like new. Best $40 you'll ever spend!
    If you have to ship it to them, do they charge to ship it back to you? I'm just trying to figure out the total cost to have the reel serviced.

I sent my MK 30SEa to Okuma, under warranty, and had to pay for shipping BOTH ways. The reel was defective. It did not need regular service.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Send them an email to ask about shipping, but I am almost certain they cover return shipping -- unless you live away from the 48 contiguous states.

Upvote 0

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
    Jul 19, 2013
    Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Norm Campbell
    Boat
    UnBelievable
    Just one of many reasons if you fish often, NOT to own Avets. The last of mine will be on the S.D. Anglers swapmeet table in October. Their like a bad girlfriend, you have to give them a lot of attenention OR ELSE.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Just one of many reasons if you fish often, NOT to own Avets. The last of mine will be on the S.D. Anglers swapmeet table in October. Their like a bad girlfriend, you have to give them a lot of attenention OR ELSE.
    Please provide details.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    If you have to ship it to them, do they charge to ship it back to you? I'm just trying to figure out the total cost to have the reel serviced.

I sent my MK 30SEa to Okuma, under warranty, and had to pay for shipping BOTH ways. The reel was defective. It did not need regular service.
    They are in the valley ... just drop off and pick up.

Upvote 0

Latest posts