Avet 50W drag problem

thebottomfish

Mar 5, 2013
nj
Name
Garret
Boat
one day
Have an Avet Pro EX 50/3 I'm having an odd drag problem with. I have 4 others that do not have this problem, all 5 of them were used 3 times before the issue popped up on this individual reel.

*Disclaimer; I know how lever drag reels work, I am setting the drag by putting reel in freespool, adjusting the drag cam, putting reel into strike*

I use these reels to troll 80# test and use a standard strike drag of 16-18#s, with this one reel the lowest possible drag I can get out of it was 26# before I sent it in for service, 30# after I sent it in for service and now 28# again after the second service.
Every other 30w + sized reel I've ever owned, including the 4 other exact same avets I have I can reduce the drag to a point where I can pull the line off the spool at strike with minimal/no effort.
I'm done sending my reel to Avet, on top of not solving this issue the reel seat bolt/screw was bent in shipping and after receiving it back like that I requested a new one and that request was ignored by service second time around.

I really want to try to solve the issue, I maintain most of my reels but seeing as it was a basically new reel I thought Avet would handle this no problem so I sent it out.

Does anyone have any idea as to where to start? Could the drag cam be bad?
All bearings were replaced and drag stack was serviced the first time it was sent out, the reel doesn't bind unless I turn the drag knob up quite a few clicks which is to be expected, no drag at usable drag settings.

Any help would be much appreciated

Upvote 0

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
Try Rocky’s reel service

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: thebottomfish
Upvote 0

Gary755

Feb 26, 2021
United Kingdom
Name
Gary Chesters
Boat
Snowgoose
If you screw the drag adjustment knob out far enough you should be able to get Zero pounds at strike if that is not the case something is very wrong.

T
thebottomfish
That's what I said to them and Avet is telling me that's not always the case, and somehow it's "normal" enough to get through service twice which blows my mind
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Bsacamano

• Jul 23, 2020
    NH
    Name
    Bsacamano
    Boat
    Na
    Just to make sure I read that right-you have the lever in free spool and the preset knob as low as it will go and you're getting 28#'s at free spool? I'd first check the clearances of the brake pads to the main disc. Take off the outer endcap, remove the spool. Hold the spool in one hand and spin the main gear with the other, do the pads spin freely? You can probably see/hear any contact with the outer brake pretty clearly but you will need to unscrew the outer break, remove the pin and spring to get a good look at the contact between the disc and the inner break. If you spin the gear and you're sure it doesn't rub, I'd check to make sure the belleville washers were installed correctly -> (( )). After that I'd probably focus on the cam assembly and seeing if the pinion bearing or outer brake bearing was seated all the way. If there is contact we can run where its coming from. Upload some pics if you want as well.

Reactions: Cubeye and gved823
    Upvote 0