capt norm

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
Bekoff
Boat
28' Ricky Scarborough
I’m thinking about buying a few Avet 30/2 reels for fishing stand-up 50lb. If I backed the reel with 80lb braid 3/4 full and top it with 50lb mono, what kind of line capacity might that be?
Thanks

Upvote 0

capt norm

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
Bekoff
Boat
28' Ricky Scarborough
Sorry, but I didn’t explain the application. It will be used for trolling for blue marlin. So line capacity is the issue.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I’m thinking about buying a few Avet 30/2 reels for fishing stand-up 50lb. If I backed the reel with 80lb braid 3/4 full and top it with 50lb mono, what kind of line capacity might that be?
Thanks

Are you releasing the marlin? Fishing a fishtha can grow to 3/4 ton with 50 if you get it to the boat you are likely to kill it from stress...then you need a chafeleader of at least 200 anyway..so what's the point?

Upvote 0

capt norm

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
Bekoff
Boat
28' Ricky Scarborough
Are you releasing the marlin? Fishing a fishtha can grow to 3/4 ton with 50 if you get it to the boat you are likely to kill it from stress...then you need a chafeleader of at least 200 anyway..so what's the point?

I didn’t write this post to get challenged by uninformed drivel like this. Fishing 50lb stand up for blues is very common. Most of our blues where I do most of my fishing are in the 100-250lb range with an occasional 400 in the mix. So 50 works just fine. I’m also fishing from a center console boat. And as there are very few people who can manage much heavier gear 50lb is about as heavy as I can reasonably expect to fish.

That’s the point.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
And as there are very few people who can manage much heavier gear 50lb is about as heavy as I can reasonably expect to fish.

all about the diameters. I believe Avet rates their capacity with JB hollow. They need to do an update on that chart.
So if you are filling 3/4 of 80# solid maybe 400 yds as it maybe the same as 100# hollow? The 30 is a beast, but it's a bit narrow. I went with an HXW for that reason.

So it would be best to give them a call, they are very knowledgeable.

Upvote 0

Latest posts