Average size jigsticks.

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by aquasport18, Jun 16, 2018.

1. aquasport18

aquasport18 aquasport18

Name:
    the brusier
    Boat:
    21 ft stealh vip cc.
    All my life ,I threw iron with a 9 ft plus rod . Even ten ft rods , Now it seems like people are throwing iron with 8 footers . Whats up with that . I thought the minimum jig stick has always been 9 plus am i wrong. What do you guys throw with . B

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I use my 8ft for the heavier jigs and my 9 for the lighter stuff. If your throwing a 4oz jig I honestly don’t think a foot maters but with the lighter stuff I can see a difference.

3. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Is it the name. I have 9 my friend throws with a seven but he can keep up. It's his comfort zone. You can throw jigs with the length you want, but I would say name applies to 9 foot and longer

4. AWilliams

AWilliams Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alin Williams
    Boat:
    none
    Throw with whatever your comfortable with and gets them in the boat. I've had guys tell me it's not really a "true" jigstick if it's under 9'. whatever....

dalurker likes this.
  5. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    It ain’t a jigstick if it’s not 9’ +

6. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I guess those old Truline D8's for worthless as a 'jigstick' then.

7. fishboy93

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Start a special category of equipment they don’t make anymore and you can call it whatever you like. I prefer my Roddy Rods to the trulines I’ve picked up.

8. jigstickjeff

jigstickjeff Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    BZ T-10
    I throw with a 9'(BTG 90J) and a 10'(100J MAG) they are my dedicated surface iron rods. There have been times when I did not bring them on trips and threw iron with an 8'(BTG 6480) they all have no problem throwing iron. I think manufacturers label the rods they make for throwing irons as jigsticks.

9. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Both are great. I take mine out once in a while. I've used jigsticks from 8ft - 11ft over the years. I found 9-9'6 is the comfortable range for me. But I won't judge anyone using any length rod to cast as long as it's balanced with the irons they're using and they can get it out to the fish. More than one way to....whatever the saying is.

10. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Throwing 9'ers are tough to use effectively on private boats.
    But it all depends on who's throwing it. Phil Huber (Fred's boy), could throw a jig as far as half of the Bloody Deckers on a trip 12 years ago. He was using 6' rod, and he was 6 or 7.

11. fishboy93

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Fell in love with Roddys. Favorite jigstick is either a 9’8” roddy or Calstar 540 full length.

12. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    My favorite way to fish is throwing Iron. The extra bonus is hang something big and hand it to the deckhand. I'm getting old.
    Nothing like a glass 540 with a newell

skipjackrobert likes this.
  13. dalurker

dalurker old skool rules

Name:
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat:
    my blood vessel
    It ain't the wand... it's the magician as they say...
    once ya stick a biggie YOU will tell 'em all what is or what isn't...

... and that's that!

14. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    2 cents:

Rods today are faster in action than those of yesteryear. Today's 8ft HMG stick might offer the same leverage but a little less load than the 9-10 foot classic glass stick.

As a kid I used all glass. I learned to load the rod a little at the beginning of the arc, and get distance off a short rod from that being all I had in the quiver. I still have yet to own any HMG salt stuff.

The key I think is sticking to actions that suit your accustomed style, and not just jumping on a bandwagon just because "___" said they are hot shit and will cast a football field.

dalurker likes this.
  15. Produce Man

Produce Man How you Bean ?

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    14' Hewescraft
    9+ makes alot of sense on a sportboat. They're not gonna move the boat with passengers hooked up to bait and jigfish, thus the longer stick will get the jig out to where the fish are. On a private boat you can get by with less length, JUST MOVE THE BOAT (right Don?). I have a 9' Kencor all glass that's a riot and a Forecast/Rainshadow SWB76H that throws almost as well for me. YMMV.

skrilla likes this.
  16. skrilla

skrilla allirks

Name:
    Len
    Boat:
    Paddling on a budget
    Right tool for the right job. I throw iron with sticks ranging from 7'6 to 13'. Depends on what platform I'm fishing on and what iron I'm throwing.

No Cal Lou likes this.
  17. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    comes down to circumstance for me. Don't have a lot of extra cash so the few setups I have end up needing to pull double duty sometimes.

I throw irons on a seeker pinhead D8. I have practiced with it and gotten decent at it. The added bonus is fishing the bow with all the wannabe hot shots with all the right gear looking down on you for yours, and then outcasting them with a shorter rod and out fishing them. Obviously this isn't the case fishing with anyone that knows what they are doing.

I have all my other bases covered for setups now...so the next thing on my list is a 9' dedicated jigstick.

18. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Man I’ve been using the same seeker black steel 6480 for 18 years, re wrapped it twice. I love that rod I remember I bought a 690j and it was just too tip heavy for me. Then I hooked a big yellow on it and I decided f that extra foot! The 8 footer throws a mile and it’s easier on the ol back. My opinion

19. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I leave my 10-footer at home when I go long range. I find it inconvenient to use on the bow of a sportboat because there is usually somebody fishing bait on the bow, and even when there isn't there often isn't enough room for a safe cast. Personally, I get at least as much distance out of 8 and 8.5-foot rods, anyway. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone actually using a 9+ rod on a long range trip.

20. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
    Old school vs new school. Traditional Jig sticks have always been 9' and up but now with the new technology and materials 9' might be the Max. Same goes for the Reels, no need for a big Convention anymore.

I went fishing yesterday and there were three of us slinging jigs as a matter of fact we were all throwing Tady C's one guy had a 90j with a Trinidad the other guy had a Phenix 9' and a gold Trinidad and I had a Cousins CPX 909HF with a Tranx 500 and we were all casting the same distance.

UC makes a rod specifically for throwing surface irons and it's 8'.5'"

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018