Average Shot Distance?

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by Quan, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Quan

Quan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Quan
    Boat:
    Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
    As you guys know from my reports, I've been shotgun hunting for my blacktail the past few years. This means all of my shots and those of my hunting buddies have been between 10 and 25 yards. I'm thinking about trying my luck with rifle next year on some property I found with much further sight pictures.

I'm curious for all you guys bagging blacktail with rifles, how far would you say your shots are on average?

2. Kettel O' Fish

Kettel O' Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner
  3. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    I would say for myself around 200 yds. I have practiced 650 yds and the year we did lots of long range shooting we shot our deer in Idaho between 100 and 200 yds.

4. Quan

Name:
    Quan
    Boat:
    I was wondering about for blacktail though, because they live in much denser forests with much shorter sight lines. I assume your long shots are for white tail and muleys?

5. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    5yds to 500yds.....kinda a difficult question, as it depends on your hunting area...if you're hunting in dense rain forest....5-40 yds....if you're hunting clear cuts, as far as you can see (500yds).....

if you know where you are going to hunt....laze the farthest point (in shooting range), and the closest, and take an average....

But yeah, if your not hunting clear cuts, power lines, etc. 100yds or less is probably average.

Big question is what type of rifle are you leaning towards???? Those are the fun discussions....you may want a rifle that can take a mulie/WT..... as my guess is, eventually, you may wander to the east side of the state at some point..

Goodluck and be safe....

6. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    I still use a 300 ultra mag hunting the west side for both deer and elk. Lots of big clear cuts here that we have target shot 650 yds. I was wanting to try some 1,000 yd shooting but they won't let you target shoot here anymore. Longer ranges require good optics and a good range finder as well as practice shooting different ranges. I like the boone and crocket reticle for different distances

7. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Can't comment on blacktail, but as for mule and whitetail, 200 - 300 yards. I would not attempt a shot longer than that for ethical reasons.

Tower Todd likes this.
  8. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    I zero at 200yds and have never shot over 300 most are within 75 to 150
    two elk at 245 and one at 75
    a friend of mine shot an elk at 865 with a range finding bushnell scope that compensates for bullet drop. 300 win mag with custom rounds

9. Quan

Name:
    Quan
    Boat:
    Thanks, everyone. This helps a lot. You're right, Erik. I'll probably eventually like to venture east for some variety .... really, my next step I'd LOVE to do would be Elk but I don't know how much harder that is to do. Baby steps. Right now my only inclination is a 7mm Rem Mag because I've heard it has a real flat trajectory but I really have no clue and have a lot of research to do... which is what I'm doing now!

10. WSU

WSU Member

Name:
    unknown
    Boat:
    none
    Really any standard big game round will work for the average guy. A .270, 30-06, .308, 7mm, .300 win, etc are all fully capable of killing game to 400 or 500 yards (as long as the guy behind the gun puts the bullet where it needs to be). You won't have to worry much about drop with any of them to 300 yards or so and at 400 and 500 you need to know the trajectory for all of them.

Quan likes this.
  11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I hunt all over including the Missouri River breaks in Montana where long shots can be required and I would still say 100 yds is about the average shot. My closest has been about 6 yds and my furthest 413yds. I have got away from the all big magnums in favor of lighter recoiling calibers that allow precision shot placement and I have seen no difference in the effectiveness from the magnums. Todays advanced bullet designs coupled with various scope reticles and dial systems kind of make the big heavy recoiling rounds a bit overkill in my opinion. For a general purpose gun that can take game up to Moose and Elk I would look in the 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm-08 class range. These would not be overkill for blacktail at shorter ranges yet would allow you to shoot longer ranges as your hunting areas expand. They also retain enough energy to hunt any North American game at reasonable distances. Both my Alaskan bro inlaws carry 30-06 rifles and have shot everything from Sitka Blacktail up to Coastal Brown Bears and a record Bison.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Quan likes this.
  12. DH10

DH10 Member

Name:
    Dave Harper
    Boat:
    17 Crestliner
    The only way to shoot well is to shoot a lot of rounds. Heavy recoiling calibers are no fun to shoot, and will quickly induce flinching. As mentioned, a 30-06, .270, .308, and 7mm-08 will kill deer, antelope and elk out to 300 yards, which is pretty damned far!

13. Mad Impulse

Mad Impulse Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    20' Thunderjet
    Let me start by saying I went through three boxes before I ever went out with this rifle. Last year 416 this year 383. Most of my life I have shot under 100 yards. 7MM rem. Mag

14. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Quan, I hunted the units around Darrington from my youth till about 10 years ago. Most shots were in dense areas under 75 yards. Even in more open big timber ares shots were close range.. Winchester 30-30 and 300 Savage do the trick!

I think Steve has the right idea on caliber..A buddy of mine had a .338 and missed a lot of animals...