Average Iron casting distance

abcd

Almost A Member
Jan 12, 2011
usa
Name
n
Hey all,
What is the average distance someone can throw a tady a1? 45?y2? Assuming now wind. On my 8ft jigstick, 332, and 30 lb, I only throw about 50 yds. Are these far enough casts to effectively iron fish? Thanks

Upvote 0

Shaka760

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2007
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Craig Taylor
Boat
2007 Nitro 482
Yes, but I use 40#. With some practice and proper mechanics, you can really get distance. Most importantly though, especially for yellows, is seeing the fish and movement. Accuracy is more important than distance IMHO.

Upvote 0

baloot-boy

Jul 17, 2008
San Diego
Name
Anthony
Boat
Wellcraft 202 Fisherman
There's a lot of guys here that will tell you they can cast a mile....lol. You dont need to throw too far to fish iron effectively. Just need to get it past the boil so you can retrieve right through it. Also, its not so much the distance as it is the action that your iron gives while your retrieving....but if you are only casting an iron 10 yards, then you just need to practice.

Upvote 0

baitkiller

Sep 15, 2009
Ventura,Calif.
Name
Mike Mitchell
Boat
22 Shamrock Renegade
Distance is relative to the other guys on the boat! Are you getting any birdsnests in your reel? If not, your reel is to tight! If yes, tighten it up. Aim is everything! Remember, you can't miss the water so don't hook anyone!!!!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
The swimability of iron (not everything is iron) is paramount IMO.
Like a woman moves her body, the right action, makes you want to snap.
Same with Yellows.
One must pay attention to the angle of the boil to determine which way the fish are moving.
If they're boiling far away then distance matters.
To get a fish to snap that isn't hungry is the ultimate compliment to your ability.
It's a great mind game between fisherman and fish.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Iron slingers estimate their cast distance the same way they do their weiners. :D

If you can cast 100 feet, you're good.

50 yds is excellent.

Over that is mostly lies and guesstimates. Kinda like an internet 30# YT.

Upvote 0

yknot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2007
Garden Grove
Name
Grady
Boat
None
Thanks. I have no idea what kind of comparison this might be, but after seeing this thread, I went out behind my apt. and threw a 2 oz torpedo a good 60-70yrds with a 7", 700L grafighter . Just curious.

Try a jig of the same weight then measure, torpedos cast like a torpedo, straight and fast. I can cast a Tady 45 on 40lb with a trindad 20 and 8' rod about 50 yards, I'm happy with that. You sound like you're doing great, don't worry about it, just practice hitting a target now.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Try a jig of the same weight then measure, torpedos cast like a torpedo, straight and fast. I can cast a Tady 45 on 40lb with a trindad 20 and 8' rod about 50 yards, I'm happy with that. You sound like you're doing great, don't worry about it, just practice hitting a target now.

Thanks for the advice. I talked to a few friends and learned about the same. Practice ....

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Average:
Figure out the distance from rod tip to iron splash (in yards) when everything is going right.
Figure out the distance from rod tip to iron jerk (in micor-yard) when everything went horribly wrong.
Add these two numbers.
Divide by 2.
This is your "average"

Upvote 0