August anticipation

Rix670

Jun 13, 2021
Arizona
Name
Rick
Boat
Champion bass boat
I’ve been vacationing to SD for years now every summer. I am an avid bass angler but as far as salt water is concerned I’ve only started going out of the boats a handful of years ago (mostly half day trips). Last October was my first trip on a full day boat out of Seaforth and ran in to a bunch of skipjacks. This early August I will be graduating to an overnight trip on the Tribute. I have a few questions for you more seasoned guys.

What do you anticipate the bite will be like? What will be biting?
Will the bluefin bite still be happening? Because I think if so my tackle is underpowered.

Thank you for any info you’re able to provide me.

R

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I think only GOD knows those answers to your questions....

Reactions: mmills and Rix670
    Upvote 0

Rix670

Jun 13, 2021
    Arizona
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Champion bass boat
    I think only GOD knows those answers to your questions....
    I figured. just thought I’d put it out there to get me an idea on tackle size. It seems like it’s been a wide open bft bite.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Borrow, buy or take what you have and rig it to the best case scenario as you trip gets closer.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    For the past four years, the bluefin have been a main target of the SD boats from late spring through late fall. This year will be very hot and with the warmer water then in addition to bluefin we will be getting offshore dorado and pelagic yellowtail and very likely yellowfin tuna and skipjack. Hopefully you are coming in late August, you should be right on time. I'm on a 3-day over Labor Day Weekend and hope to encounter all of the above species.

Bring your heaviest bass setup, a lot of times the offshore kelps are holding 2# to 5# dorado and similar-sized yellowtail, and they are a hoot on bass gear. But also make a reservation at the landing when you book your trip for a rig around 25#, which will handle 95% of everything else you will likely encounter. And if the Tribute that you are thinking of going on is scheduled for a tuna hunting trip, you can either rent a heavy rig and roll the dice, or schedule on a different boat that is aiming for smaller game fish.

Reactions: Rix670
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    HighWildFree -- Wouldn't that be great? But of all the tunas, the albacore seem to be most sensitive to preferring colder water. And I think that it is going to be too warm for them within our coastal boat range this summer.

Upvote 0