August 3, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii. The bite off the west side of Maui has not changed since the last report. Small tunas are everywhere and, as a result, there have been quite a few blue marlin around. Of course, mahis and onos have recently found their way into the fish bag as well. If there are any questions about the fishing, feel free to call Deli in Start Me Up’s Lahaina Harbor booth at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii Time. Deli can also be contacted via email at [email protected]. The following fishing report contains some of Start Me Up’s anglers and their catch from the past couple of weeks.

[​IMG]
    John Tyrrell and John Phillips went out on an afternoon fishing trip that turned out to be the trip of a lifetime. While passing over secret spot, which is really just an inside pinnacle not far from Lahaina Harbor, this big blue marlin came up and ate both riggers. Tyrrell and Phillips teamed up to fight the fish on two rods and got their 884 lb. blue marlin to the boat 40 minutes after the initial bite. In accordance with Start Me Up’s policy for fish over 500 lbs., the trip was free and a 300 dollar donation was made to a local charity, which in this case was the Maui chapter of the American Cancer Society. Credit goes to Donnell A. Tate Photography for providing this quality photograph. Congratulations to the anglers on a day they will never forget.
    [​IMG]
    Brothers Alex and Nicolas are serious about fishing and were happy to catch this mahi. Nevertheless, the brothers will be in search of a bigger fish the next time they go out.
    [​IMG]
    The Simons did go out again and ended up catching a shortbill spearfish. Although they are relatively abundant in Hawaii, shortbill spearfish are the most elusive billfish in the world. Not even Tred Barta, the extremely intense guy with his own television show, has landed a shortbill spearfish.
    [​IMG]
    Tanner Spurgin also went out twice with Start Me Up during his visit to Maui. On his second attempt, Tanner tagged and released an estimated 150 lb. blue marlin.
    [​IMG]
    The Espinoza family went out and caught a 298 lb. blue marlin. That nice fish made for a nice family photograph as well as many great memories. The people who enjoyed some smoked marlin as a result of the catch were pretty happy too.
    [​IMG]
    This group of young anglers was in the zone and had a real shot at catching a marlin. Unfortunately, they did not get the big bite that they were looking for even though they watched another boat hook up right next to them. Marlin fishing depends a little bit on luck and these anglers have plenty of years ahead of them in which they could get lucky and catch a marlin.
    [​IMG]
    Bernie and JP Flather found the hot spot in 50 fathoms of water off the area known as the dump. Bernie and JP had a few hours of almost continuous action that resulted in a 398 lb. blue marlin, 2 mahis, and an ono. The marlin easily had the length to be a 600 lb. fish, but happened to be skinny at the time of its capture. All of the fish, from approximately 10 lbs. on up to about 400 lbs., were caught while trolling the same pattern of lures.
    [​IMG]
    This 135 lb. blue marlin jumped all over the ocean before being brought alongside the boat by Jeff Kreutzer. Jeff was fishing in Hawaii for the second time along with his son and his son’s friend.
    [​IMG]
    These anglers didn’t catch the biggest fish out there, but the mahi and shibis were ideal as table fare.
    [​IMG]
    The short corner lure was the old reliable purple softhead. The lure certainly worked well in enticing this blue marlin to bite. After the bite, Cheryl Lamastra did a good job in the fighting chair and battled her 184 lb. blue marlin to the boat.
    [​IMG]
    This greedy ono bit a lure that was designed to catch marlin, which was just fine with angler Kenny Heyes.
    [​IMG]
    The Manson family went out for an afternoon of fishing and ended up catching and releasing a blue marlin. The approximately 125 lb. blue marlin grabbed the all black softhead lure running in the short corner position and immediately made two spectacular jumps.
    [​IMG]
    The Prokops had a nice day on the water and came back to Lahaina Harbor with a pair of mahis. The mahis were a big part of that night’s dinner plans.
    [​IMG]
    This young angler took advantage of the afternoon bite to catch his mahi. He was excited about his catch and was not afraid to get his hands dirty while taking some memorable photographs of his catch.
    [​IMG]
    Chris Gale did not hesitate to reel his blue marlin to the side of the boat after the fish pulled the Ahi P lure down out of the short rigger position. For Chris, having his dad Peter along for encouragement was a real bonus.
    [​IMG]
    Vickie and Jake Ruth found their mahis at a FAD buoy and quickly put the fish on ice using natural baits. After their mahi action, Vickie and Jake went on the troll in search of a marlin. All in all, they had an enjoyable day of fishing.
    [​IMG]
    Kestlie Allreed dragged around some small lures in the afternoon and came up with this kawakawa. Any fish can be fun for the right angler on the right tackle.
    [​IMG]
    Matty Hersch found out firsthand that tunas are strong fighters for their size and that shibis are good to eat raw as sashimi and poke.
    [​IMG]
    Eric Green had a good time catching his ono. Eric also had a good time seeing his two blue marlin bites even though both fish did not hook themselves well and got away.
    [​IMG]
    There’s nothing wrong with going out in the afternoon and catching a pretty fat ono. These anglers were happy to do just that.
    [​IMG]
    Mahis can put up quite a fight when they tense up and force the angler to reel them in sideways. Mahis can also provide a spectacle with their brilliant colors and aerial acrobatics. With these positive attributes, it’s no wonder that this angler had a great time catching her bull mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Jim and Evan McFarland caught this 32 lb. shortbill spearfish early in the morning. The fish hit an old classic lure running in the long gone position behind a bird. The shortbill spearfish ripped a lot of line off the 50 lb. class rod and reel and kept everyone guessing as the fish remained mostly invisible until reaching the side of the boat. Jim and Evan said that catching the shortbill spearfish was the highlight of their visit to Hawaii.
    [​IMG]
    Camden Kinosian was the sole angler that reeled in this ono but the whole family took part in a great adventure on the water.
    [​IMG]
    Doug Adler was hoping for a big fish when he heard about the marlin that have been around. Nonetheless, Doug was not sorry to catch this mahi mahi.
    [​IMG]
    This young angler’s name is Kai, which means ocean in the Hawaiian language. Kai caught his mahi at K buoy on an opelu. There was another tough mahi at the buoy that managed to shake the hooks after getting foul-hooked. Kai caught another bad break when a blue marlin missed the hooks on two separate bites on two different lures. Kai had another mystery bite that again did not result in a solid hookup. Unfortunately, the fish simply miss the hooks sometimes and there is nothing that can be done to rectify the situation.
    [​IMG]
    This nice kawakawa fooled everyone when the fish grabbed a comparatively large lure running behind a bird and took quite a bit of line against a stiff drag. This angler remarked that reeling in the kawakawa was a workout.
    [​IMG]
    Amber Maris was all smiles after her striped marlin ate the long corner purple softhead. The bite was aggressive for a striped marlin, which tend to grab the outside lures running on the riggers.
    [​IMG]
    The Stringer party took advantage of some especially nice weather and headed up to the north shore of Molokai, where they enjoyed some amazing views and caught a mahi and a shibi.
    [​IMG]
    This shortbill spearfish was another one that went for a lure running behind a bird. Jarod Wilson was ready for the action and capitalized on the bite, successfully landing his elusive catch.
    [​IMG]
    Maui resident Cindy Sue Lombard wanted to catch a marlin. Luckily for her, her son-in-law is Captain Steve Carroll, who is a member of Team Start Me Up. Cindy went out with Captain Steve on a four hour afternoon trip in search of a marlin and got hooked up reasonably quickly. Once in the chair, Cindy demonstrated good technique.
    [​IMG]
    Cindy brought her blue marlin to the side of the boat, where the fish was estimated to weigh about 250 lbs.
    [​IMG]
    Admiring her blue marlin at the side of the boat was enough to satisfy Cindy so the fish was tagged and released. Captains Steve and Craig were thrilled to help Cindy get her first blue marlin.

Thanks for taking a look at this Start Me Up fishing report. Any questions can be directed towards Deli, who can be reached at 808-667-7879 or [email protected]. Until the next report, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Thanks for the update!

3. fetzerb

fetzerb BAMF

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    none at the time
    Nice work! Some happy customers there!

4. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    As always, you guys find the fish...a model of consistency. Good job!

5. irukandji

irukandji Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Irukandji
    Looks fun . Mahalo for the report

6. jtburf

jtburf Newbie

Name:
    John Burford
    Boat:
    Cape Horn 21 Merc 250 EFI
    I just booked my trip for 3/4 day with Deli for the 16th, I will bring a bunch of FUTA heads to pull as Deli said that is acceptable.

I will let everyone know how my trip goes and with any luck we will see me with a grander posted here soon..

Thanks,
    John